website statistics

Wrestling UWW Under 20 World Championships 2023

Totallympics

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2023 at 7:00 PM, MHSN said:

Jordan to host the World U20 Champions next month

it was supposed to be held in Poland but UWW had to change it for obvious reasons.

https://uww.org/article/jordan-host-2023-u20-world-championships

Which Sweden will not participate in due to safety concerns for Swedish citizens

Edited by Swewi

• 3 weeks later...

World Junior Championships will start tomorrow in Jordan and I see both UKR and RUS/BLR (AIN) wrestlers in the brackets.

I see a UKR/BLR match in the first round of 125kg. ( that will be on Thursday) and even tomorrow it's possible to see couple matches if they progress from the 1st and 2nd rounds in other weights

the last time I checked shaking hands is mandatory in wrestling, not just with the wrestler, but with his coach too.

UWW once took the World U17 team title away from Iran because one of our kids was crying after losing the bronze medal match and forgot to shake hands with the opponent's coach. but yeah I saw so many times the losing wrestler was so upset and went to the other way and didn't shake hand with the coach and nobody cared. They are not always very strict about it. 

21 hours ago, MHSN said:

the last time I checked shaking hands is mandatory in wrestling, not just with the wrestler, but with his coach too.

we had a RUS/UKR match in 3rd round of 79kg and the Ukrainian guy (after being beaten very badly) didn't shake hands and went the other way along with his coach. apparently nobody cared and the guy is not disqualified. (yet)

looks like UWW simply ignored the rule they never really enforced before (just except when they had some other motivations :d)

lots of interesting matches in the first medal day. Iran finished the day with 2 golds and 1 silver. but USA is leading the team race with 15 more pts because they won 5 medals . (despite winning just 1 gold medal) 

but tomorrow :IRI will have 3 in the final and :USA has just one. which makes things more close for the last day. our 92kg and 125kg are expected to win the gold quite easily. that's most probably enough to win the team title. 

JPN and RUS won the remaining gold medals. really impressed with the Japanese kid , he won the gold last year at 61kg and now one weight down at 57kg. how is that even possible ? :d people usually gain weight each year at this young age but looks like it works the other way for him

and I have to say Russian wrestlers are back with their old dirty tricks. :thumbdown: 61kg semifinal was very ugly with the Russian pretending to be injured the whole time, that way he got something like 10 extra minutes to rest during the match, the refs realized he is a fraud only in the last minute 

and Ukrainians keep not shaking hands with whoever they don't want and luckily for them nobody cares :d 

Edited by MHSN

:ITA Aurora Russo won the gold medal in the women's -59kg class! :champion: :cheer:

she completed the double with the European title she won just a month ago in Tirana

on her route to the gold medal she won clearly very tough matches vs :RUS:BLR:USA, so it's not that she didn't face people from the usual women's wrestling powerhouses

maybe it's time we've found a truly promising wrestler who might have a quick and winning transition from junior to senior ranks :fingers:

Iran won the team title in freestyle with 4 gold, 2 silver and 1 bronze :champion:

and the first day of Greco was also too good to be true :d 4 out 5 in the final and 1 in the bronze medal match. but I know we had most of our best guys in the first group. the 2nd group (next 5 weights) won't be this good.

what a terrible day for Russia. not a single wrestler in the semifinal :yikes:  Russian wrestlers weren't good at all in this tournament, winning only 1 gold in men's freestyle. some people say that's because they were out of competition for a while. but that's not really correct. they had LOTS of international or national wrestling competitions to keep their guys in shape and motivated.

I wonder if this is a sign that they also won't perform good at the Worlds in Belgrade ? :question:

and we still don't know if they can win the Olympic quota or not. and i assume we won't know that in time of the World Championship.