website statistics

Great Britain at the 2023 World Athletics Championships

Mkbw50

Event in Budapest, Hungary, currently in its morning session. Coverage on BBC and Eurosport/Discovery+

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold

Morning session Day 1

Scott Lincoln 9th in the Men's Shot Put Group A (but only 18th overall) with a 20.22 so no advancement

Katarina Johnson-Thompson sixth in Heat 3 (tenth overall) with 13.50 (1050 points) in the 100m Hurdles. In High Jump, second in Group A (and overall) with 1.86 and 1054 points, her total 2104 puts her fourth in the standings

Mixed 4x400m Relay team (Joseph Brier, Lavai Nielsen, Rio Mitcham, Yemi Mary John) second in Heat 1 (and overall) with national record 3:11.19, qualified

Jazmin Sawyers disappointed in Long Jump in 10th in Group A 6.41, 22nd overall and not qualifying

Women's 1500m was good: Laura Muir second in Heat 1 with 4:03.50, Melissa Courtney-Bryant fifth in Heat 2 in 4:03.14, and Katie Snowden fourth in Heat 3 in 4:01.15, all three qualifying.

In brotherhood unfold

Whilst I am more than willing to raise a glass to the success of Team GB so far, I can't help feeling that these positive results are going to be used to paper over the cracks in the management of athletics in UK right now.  Putting aside the obvious issues with the selection policies that are in place, we've now got athletes alleging they were blackmailed by our national federation if they weren't willing to be part of a relay squad.

The picture of UK athletics over the course of the summer is one of incompetence and indifference to athletes and yet there is a good chance that will all be drowned out by KJT's gold medal. The powers that be within UK athletics have robbed multiple athletes of the opportunity to attend a global championship and ley down an Olympic qualifying time/distance because of some misguided belief that if you're not top 8 in the world, you don't count for anything. 

4 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Whilst I am more than willing to raise a glass to the success of Team GB so far, I can't help feeling that these positive results are going to be used to paper over the cracks in the management of athletics in UK right now.  Putting aside the obvious issues with the selection policies that are in place, we've now got athletes alleging they were blackmailed by our national federation if they weren't willing to be part of a relay squad.

The picture of UK athletics over the course of the summer is one of incompetence and indifference to athletes and yet there is a good chance that will all be drowned out by KJT's gold medal. The powers that be within UK athletics have robbed multiple athletes of the opportunity to attend a global championship and ley down an Olympic qualifying time/distance because of some misguided belief that if you're not top 8 in the world, you don't count for anything. 

Absolutely. There were some really stupid decisions made by UK Athletics this time round.

Not picking Jade O'Dowda (hep) and Lavaii Nielsen (individual 400s) was especially dumb

9 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

They are the witch sketch in Monty Python

:NED Have strict selection policies

:NED Win lots of medals

Therefore if we have strict selection policies we will win lots of medals. :evil:

Edited by Grassmarket

Josh Kerr! Two Golds, one silver (relay) and a bronze for Hughes. Wow. Lightning striking twice, and still chances for more medals.

In brotherhood unfold

23 minutes ago, Mkbw50 said:

Josh Kerr! Two Golds, one silver (relay) and a bronze for Hughes. Wow. Lightning striking twice, and still chances for more medals.

I’m sure team morale must be fizzing like a Coca-Cola bottle that’s been in a washing machine.

2 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

I’m sure team morale must be fizzing like a Coca-Cola bottle that’s been in a washing machine.

There seems something in the fact that the two wins, last year and this, were almost identical. Doesn't seem just race luck, seems like a brilliant plan worked out by Wightman pére last year and brilliantly copied by Kerr. It takes a certain confidence to run a sub 3:30 while relying on outkicking the fastest in the world.

6 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

There seems something in the fact that the two wins, last year and this, were almost identical. Doesn't seem just race luck, seems like a brilliant plan worked out by Wightman pére last year and brilliantly copied by Kerr. It takes a certain confidence to run a sub 3:30 while relying on outkicking the fastest in the world.

Exactly same tactic, Jakob was focusing on beating world record and didn't prepare well for a tactic race