website statistics

Swimming LEN Under 23 European Championships 2023

Totallympics

european juniors, worlds, university games just gone and now this new event in less than a month?

frankly, the swimming governing bodies are going a bit too far, imho

however, from an Italian perspective, this competition might get a lot of hype because of the announced comeback by Lorenzo Galossi, after a year full of troubles (mononucleosis and cytomegalovirus all together, 2 changes of coach, a lot of doubts going through his mind)

let's see how he does this weekend? I'm really curious and I hope he's at least in decent shape (not expecting to be even close to his PBs, but at least swimming reasonably fast)

6 minutes ago, phelps said:

european juniors, worlds, university games just gone and now this new event in less than a month?

frankly, the swimming governing bodies are going a bit too far, imho

however, from an Italian perspective, this competition might get a lot of hype because of the announced comeback by Lorenzo Galossi, after a year full of troubles (mononucleosis and cytomegalovirus all together, 2 changes of coach, a lot of doubts going through his mind)

let's see how he does this weekend? I'm really curious and I hope he's at least in decent shape (not expecting to be even close to his PBs, but at least swimming reasonably fast)

I don't agree that FINA is going too far. I think this is a very good event. It helps to keep athletes engaged/motivated who are too old for junior competitions and not (quite) good enough (yet) to qualify for senior competitions. I think athletes/coaches should focus on one event though. Also you forgot (to mention) that junior worlds are still to come ...

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

5 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I don't agree that FINA is going too far. I think this is a very good event. It helps to keep athletes engaged/motivated who are too old for junior competitions and not (quite) good enough (yet) to qualify for senior competitions. I think athletes/coaches should focus on one event though. Also you forgot (to mention) that junior worlds are still to come ...

I'm not saying that this is a useless event by itself...

I'm just saying that there should be some interval between the main competitions, since in swimming it's quite normal being very competitive at a young age

if all the events are held basically at the same time, they are all going to be somehow not as good and competitive as they might be if they were better spread through the year

Before someone inevitably asks when did the US and South Africa become part of Europe, LEN is allowing one nation from each of the other continents to participate. However, nobody from Asia or Oceania wanted to participate.

Edited by Topicmaster1010

13 minutes ago, phelps said:

I'm not saying that this is a useless event by itself...

I'm just saying that there should be some interval between the main competitions, since in swimming it's quite normal being very competitive at a young age

if all the events are held basically at the same time, they are all going to be somehow not as good and competitive as they might be if they were better spread through the year

Yeah, looking at the start lists, I noticed a few swimmers who competed in both Worlds and WUGs already. That's a lot of competition in 3 weeks

Strange competition to introduce. Ireland will have its three Olympic qualified swimmers at it as it’s their home event, but they aimed for the world champs so will be interesting to see what shape they’re in. Wiffen will be disappointed if he doesn’t win two gold anyway 

4 minutes ago, dodge said:

Strange competition to introduce. Ireland will have its three Olympic qualified swimmers at it as it’s their home event, but they aimed for the world champs so will be interesting to see what shape they’re in. Wiffen will be disappointed if he doesn’t win two gold anyway 

A number of different countries seem to be approaching with different aims, which will, counterintuitive, make it difficult to gauge what any result here means. But any new competition has to start somewhere, I suppose.

Galossi :yikes: 1.51.9 over 200m free :hairpull:

we've officially lost our best talent, the man who should have led the transition from the current generation to the next...:drama:

I don't see him recovering from such a low point, I think he didn't used to swim so slow even when he was 12/13 :cry: