website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Official Countdown Thread Road to Paris 2024

As always, to help us countdown towards the Opening Ceremony, I will post some nostalgic TV intro of Olympic coverage. Please also post similar Olympic TV broadcast intros you have from your countries too.

Firstly, some of the BBC Olympic intros from over the years. Which ones from these do you like and why?

BBC Olympic Intro (Tokyo 1964, Mexico 1968, Munich 1972)

BBC Olympic Intro - Moscow 1980

BBC Olympic Intro - Los Angeles 1984

BBC Olympic Intro - Seoul 1988

BBC Olympic Intro - Barcelona 1992

BBC Olympic Intro - Atlanta 1996

BBC Olympic Intro - Sydney 2000

BBC Olympic Intro - Athens 2004

BBC Olympic Intro - Beijing 2008:

BBC Olympic Intro - London 2012

BBC Olympic Intro - Rio 2016

BBC Olympic Intro - Tokyo 2020

12 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

As always, to help us countdown towards the Opening Ceremony, I will post some nostalgic TV intro of Olympic coverage. Please also post similar Olympic TV broadcast intros you have from your countries too.

Firstly, some of the BBC Olympic intros from over the years. Which ones from these do you like and why?

BBC Olympic Intro (Tokyo 1964, Mexico 1968, Munich 1972)

BBC Olympic Intro - Moscow 1980

BBC Olympic Intro - Los Angeles 1984

BBC Olympic Intro - Seoul 1988

BBC Olympic Intro - Barcelona 1992

BBC Olympic Intro - Atlanta 1996

BBC Olympic Intro - Sydney 2000

BBC Olympic Intro - Athens 2004

BBC Olympic Intro - Beijing 2008:

BBC Olympic Intro - London 2012

BBC Olympic Intro - Rio 2016

BBC Olympic Intro - Tokyo 2020

Speakinf of nostalgic TV intros (or OBS in particular), is the 2024 Olympics OBS intro still not out? It’s already mid June, if you go off of Tokyo it’d be out early June.

7 minutes ago, Josh said:

Speakinf of nostalgic TV intros (or OBS in particular), is the 2024 Olympics OBS intro still not out? It’s already mid June, if you go off of Tokyo it’d be out early June.

No I don't believe it has been released yet. And here is a list of OBS intros from the past. Many good ones here too. I have a soft spot for Seoul 1988, not sure why but just love the music and the animation at the beginning. Beijing 2008 was the worst by far, someone was lacking inspiration when creating that :d . I was initially so disappointed with the Tokyo 2020 intro when it was released but it grew on me since it reminds me of good nostalgia of staying up nights to watch the Olympics :)

OBS Olympic Intro - Moscow 1980

OBS Olympic Intro - Seoul 1988

OBS Olympic Intro - Barcelona 1992

OBS Olympic Intro - Atlanta 1996

OBS Olympic Intro - Sydney 2000

OBS Olympic Intro - Athens 2004

OBS Olympic Intro - Beijing 2008

OBS Olympic Intro - London 2012

OBS Olympic Intro - Rio 2016

OBS Olympic Intro - Tokyo 2020

3 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

No I don't believe it has been released yet. And here is a list of OBS intros from the past. Many good ones here too. I have a soft spot for Seoul 1988, not sure why but just love the music and the animation at the beginning. Beijing 2008 was the worst by far, someone was lacking inspiration when creating that :d . I was initially so disappointed with the Tokyo 2020 intro when it was released but it grew on me since it reminds me of good nostalgia of staying up nights to watch the Olympics :)

OBS Olympic Intro - Moscow 1980

OBS Olympic Intro - Seoul 1988

OBS Olympic Intro - Barcelona 1992

OBS Olympic Intro - Atlanta 1996

OBS Olympic Intro - Sydney 2000

OBS Olympic Intro - Athens 2004

OBS Olympic Intro - Beijing 2008

OBS Olympic Intro - London 2012

OBS Olympic Intro - Rio 2016

OBS Olympic Intro - Tokyo 2020

Tokyo 2020 :wub: 

My all time favourite OBS intro (love the graphics, and the music) :wub:

In fact, one day, I spent 1 hour listening to the extended version on repeat. I think that tells you all you need to know 

my personal favourite BBC intros 

1. Rio 2016
2. London 2012
3. Beijing 2008

Honourable mention, sydney 2000 and barcelona 92

allready looking forward to euro 2024 finishing because that's usually when the trailers start dropping. sad that the actual coverage has gone downhill since 2016 and i'll be watching the majority on discovery+

1 minute ago, Josh said:

In fact, one day, I spent 1 hour listening to the extended version on repeat. I think that tells you all you need to know 

I really like the music. Watching back the Olympic replays where it plays a longer loop of this music while showing the replay of the event always gives me good vibes. I'm still not too fond of the animation of the actual intro but like I said, it has now become nostalgic for me :)

Sydney 2000 for me is probably the best in terms of music and graphics combined. It was created with a lot of inspiration and is cleverly done. And Seoul 1988 I just love personally. There are many good ones though. I will post the Winter Olympic intros later as well. Lillehammer 1994 is the absolute top of them all (Summer or Winter).

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

Tokyo was my favourite one of these, winter olympics it still is pyongchang's 

1 minute ago, Olympicsnell said:

my personal favourite BBC intros 

1. Rio 2016
2. London 2012
3. Beijing 2008

Honourable mention, sydney 2000 and barcelona 92

allready looking forward to euro 2024 finishing because that's usually when the trailers start dropping. sad that the actual coverage has gone downhill since 2016 and i'll be watching the majority on discovery+

My top 3 would be:

1. London 2012 - the music is just astonishingly good and it gives me chills each time from the nostalgia. I remember watching all those Olympic channels on the BBC Red button during the Olympics and the music played on a loop there as well.

2. Barcelona 1992

3. Sydney 2000

Love so many of them as well. The Tokyo 1964 music is so addictive as well :d

In terms of the BBC, I love London obviously and Barcelona because it is the first games that I remember properly. And, you know, they used Barcelona for the music. How can anyone not love that?

Still not a patch on the Beeb's Manchester Commonwealth Games use of This Is The One. That was inspired.

Sadly these are the only 2 ones I can find from Irish broadcaster RTÉ. They are not bad given the obvious lack of budget within RTÉ :d. Also in the last 2 Olympics they used the OBS intro so it could be they gave up on creating their own versions which is a shame :( . My favourite was Atlanta 1996 when they used Enigma - Return to Innocence as the theme. To this day that song still reminds me of Atlanta 1996 :). But like I say, I can't find it online.

RTÉ Olympic Intro  - Beijing 2008

RTÉ Olympic Intro - London 2012