website statistics

Canada at the 2023 WA World Aquatics Championships

Liendo does not look good this meet.  Much slower in the semis than the heats.  His heats time would have easily qualified him for the final.  I don't think we'll see him on the podium here in any event, which is so frustrating because the door is open.  

The thing I worry about is that many countries seem to have excellent athletes all peaking at the same time. 

tbh with how they’ve been swimming I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kharun do better at the 100m fly than Liendo. 

9 minutes ago, james89 said:

The thing I worry about is that many countries seem to have excellent athletes all peaking at the same time. 

tbh with how they’ve been swimming I wouldn’t be surprised to see Kharun do better at the 100m fly than Liendo. 

I wonder if having trials in late March/early April had a factor. A lot of the Brits have also been off (besides Richards and Dean) and they also had their trials in March. Australia has seen significant improvement since moving their trials from April to June.

Safe to say I'm glad Olympic trials are happening in May next year and then in June the years after that

4 hours ago, Josh said:

Another new CR in the men's 200m butterfly final for Illya Kharun. 1:53.82, almost a half-second faster than his previous mark. What a talent, expecting big things for him come the upcoming Olympics. 

Good thing for us his parents never bothered to become US citizens xD

8 hours ago, james89 said:

I fully expect that to happen. Unfortunately, I don't expect much from Liendo the rest of the meet. Good to watch Kharun get experience at least.  

29 minutes ago, orangeman said:

I fully expect that to happen. Unfortunately, I don't expect much from Liendo the rest of the meet. Good to watch Kharun get experience at least.  

I’m at least intrigued. Liendo still won the 100m Butterfly at the commonwealth games when he was far from his best.