website statistics

Summer Paralympic Games Paris 2024

Josh

A bit of sad news for the Slovenian para volleyball team, which was already announced a few weeks ago but has now resurfaced as the Paralympics are beginning. Valentina Brik, who is Ukranian, but has switched her nationality to Slovenia since coming here a few years ago, has been denied entry to the games. This is a big loss to the whole team as according to the coach, our whole gameplay revolves around her. Without her he says our chances for anything are 90% smaller. Slovenia are the current european vice champions, mainly due to Brik. The reasoning why she's been denied is that the International Paravolley Federation wants to review her injury status again. And she can't compete until that examination is complete. When is that examination? Well in January 2025 :). This begs the question why did they allow her to participate in both the Euros and the olympic qualifiers. And why impose this examination right now and wait so long until they do it? Just a big shame as our volleyball team was likely the only medal hope for us. 

6 minutes ago, FireRun said:

A bit of sad news for the Slovenian para volleyball team, which was already announced a few weeks ago but has now resurfaced as the Paralympics are beginning. Valentina Brik, who is Ukranian, but has switched her nationality to Slovenia since coming here a few years ago, has been denied entry to the games. This is a big loss to the whole team as according to the coach, our whole gameplay revolves around her. Without her he says our chances for anything are 90% smaller. Slovenia are the current european vice champions, mainly due to Brik. The reasoning why she's been denied is that the International Paravolley Federation wants to review her injury status again. And she can't compete until that examination is complete. When is that examination? Well in January 2025 :). This begs the question why did they allow her to participate in both the Euros and the olympic qualifiers. And why impose this examination right now and wait so long until they do it? Just a big shame as our volleyball team was likely the only medal hope for us. 

Really sucks that she won’t be at the Paralympics, and I feel really sorry for you but I do want to point out two things (if I may) ;)

You mean team sports? I don’t follow too much para sport outside of a couple, but from a quick Wikipedia search on the Slovenian athletes accolades surely Gorazd Tiršek in para shooting is a medal contender? 

Also, as an avid sitting volleyball fan, I’m not sure if I’d even classify your women’s sitting volleyball team as a medal contender even if Brik was present. China, United States, Canada, and Brazil are the favourites, and I’d give a small chance to Italy as well but otherwise…

49 minutes ago, Josh said:

Really sucks that she won’t be at the Paralympics, and I feel really sorry for you but I do want to point out two things (if I may) ;)

You mean team sports? I don’t follow too much para sport outside of a couple, but from a quick Wikipedia search on the Slovenian athletes accolades surely Gorazd Tiršek in para shooting is a medal contender? 

Also, as an avid sitting volleyball fan, I’m not sure if I’d even classify your women’s sitting volleyball team as a medal contender even if Brik was present. China, United States, Canada, and Brazil are the favourites, and I’d give a small chance to Italy as well but otherwise…

Based on what Gorazd said, he hasn't trained nearly as much in recent time as he did before. So he's a big ? for a medal. As for seated volleyball, everyone was saying that the women had a chance for a medal. Now the coach, after Valentina has been banned, is saying if we get anything it will be nothing short of a miracle. 

1 minute ago, FireRun said:

Based on what Gorazd said, he hasn't trained nearly as much in recent time as he did before. So he's a big ? for a medal. As for seated volleyball, everyone was saying that the women had a chance for a medal. Now the coach, after Valentina has been banned, is saying if we get anything it will be nothing short of a miracle. 

By “everyone” who exactly do you mean? The Slovenian para volleyball federation? Because of course they’re going to be saying that :d

Iran sent a 65-member delegation to Paris, because  of their nonsense policies they rejected lots of quotas in different sports :thumbdown: which shows they don't even know what's the real purpose of Paralympics :wall: and it's not about winning medals

they only sent medal favorites, that was the criteria even for the team sports :facepalm:, there are only few exceptions like the Goalball team, which is not a medal favorite but somehow managed to convince the NPC to let them participate. 

not a huge fan of Para sports, but will follow this as much as I can and wish everybody the best of luck

4 hours ago, FireRun said:

Same thing every time:  the whole event depends on very subjective medical judgements.  Things run on fine for years when nobody is much interested but then when the only important competition in the sport rolls in everybody gets the rule books out.......sadly, I'd be looking at a rival team who have made a complaint.  :wacko:

Edited by Grassmarket