website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

6 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Just no.

Exactly, they both really don't.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

Why yes? For me dancing isn't a sport.

Ah, there’s our issue :p. To me, Dancing is both the world’s most popular art form, and the world’s most popular sport. Dancing satisfies the lose criteria to be a sport (especially if we consider Judo, Parkour, Karate, Gymnastics, and Artistic Swimming sports as well). Now, breaking isn’t by any means the world’s most popular dance form. However, it is a format made for competition that requires very good physical fitness and technical ability. For me, while I would have preferred a very different format for Dancing at the games (one every other person on this forum would hate (most likely)), breaking deserves it’s spot as Dance Sport.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

Ah, there’s our issue :p. To me, Dancing is both the world’s most popular art form, and the world’s most popular sport. Dancing satisfies the lose criteria to be a sport (especially if we consider Judo, Parkour, Karate, Gymnastics, and Artistic Swimming sports as well). Now, breaking isn’t by any means the world’s most popular dance form. However, it is a format made for competition that requires very good physical fitness and technical ability. For me, while I would have preferred a very different format for Dancing at the games (one every other person on this forum would hate (most likely)), breaking deserves it’s spot as Dance Sport.

I really like dancing like for of art but you know, an art can't be a sport ;)

The problem is just the definition of sport, that of course is strongly personal and all have their points of view, i won't impose my idea but I think that we just can't consider dancing as a sport (it's the same for esports)

9 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

I really like dancing like for of art but you know, an art can't be a sport ;)

The problem is just the definition of sport, that of course is strongly personal and all have their points of view, i won't impose my idea but I think that we just can't consider dancing as a sport (it's the same for esports)

So then let me ask a different question. Are Artistic Swimming, (All) Gymnastics, Diving, Equestrian (Dressage and Eventing), BMX Freestyle, Karate, Shooting, Skateboard, and Surfing sports?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

So then let me ask a different question. Are Artistic Swimming, (All) Gymnastics, Diving, Equestrian (Dressage and Eventing), BMX Freestyle, Karate, Shooting, Skateboard, and Surfing sports?

I don't like a lot of this sport but yes, they are.

The main difference between this (almost all, i can't understand why shooting and karate are in) sports and dancing is just cultural.

18 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

I don't like a lot of this sport but yes, they are.

The main difference between this (almost all, i can't understand why shooting and karate are in) sports and dancing is just cultural.

Shooting was included because it contains almost no discernible physical activity. Karate was included because of it’s scoring system (points have to awarded by judges who look for proper artistic form). If that list contains sports, what is the difference between those sports and dancing? Many of those sports are cultural as well.  

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Karate (and all Martial Arts) and Shooting? yes, definitely...

and also Artistic Gymnastics, Eventing (even if that dressage part should be removed and replaced with something else closer to a sport discipline) and Diving (in AG and Diving the real problems are only the biased and/or corrupted judges)...

most of the other disciplines you've just mentioned, no...some of them might have something really close to sport events (Surfing and Skateboarding, for instance), but others surely don't have anything to share with sport competitions (among those no-no: all forms of dancing, artistic swimming, dressage, bmx freestyle, rhythmic gymnastics and all the pure "mind games")...

that's just my opinion, of course...and I respect all those who have a different one, even if and when I don't agree...;)