website statistics

International Olympic Committee News

George_D

5 minutes ago, phelps said:

Karate (and all Martial Arts) and Shooting? yes, definitely...

and also Artistic Gymnastics, Eventing (even if that dressage part should be removed and replaced with something else closer to a sport discipline) and Diving (in AG and Diving the real problems are only the biased and/or corrupted judges)...

most of the other disciplines you've just mentioned, no...some of them might have something really close to sport events (Surfing and Skateboarding, for instance), but others surely don't have anything to share with sport competitions (among those no-no: all forms of dancing, artistic swimming, dressage, bmx freestyle, rhythmic gymnastics and all the pure "mind games")...

that's just my opinion, of course...and I respect all those who have a different one, even if and when I don't agree...;)

Okay now I’m really curious, why is Shooting a sport? And what is your definition of a sport?

Also, worth nothing Martial Arts, not Martial Sports. 

Why aren’t (in your opinion) Surfing, Skateboarding, Artistic Swimming sports?

I’m not trying to be combative, I’m genuinely curious.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Shooting was included because it contains almost no discernible physical activity. Karate was included because of it’s scoring system (points have to awarded by judges who look for proper artistic form). If that list contains sports, what is the difference between those sports and dancing? Many of those sports are cultural as well.  

about shooting you're wrong...try to shoot 60/100 shots in 60/75 mins without a proper physical training (at least a partial one, including the shooting arm muscles, everything related to breathing and, for those who shoot from a standing position, also the back muscles)...

after 5 mins you're going to start hitting the roof instead of the target in front of you because your arm just won't keep straight anymore...:evil:;)

however, I understand why most people who never tried to spend an hour or so at the shooting range have that deceptive opinion about the skills required by competitive shooting...

Karate is about Kumite...Kata (the "forms") is just a small part of it...

and in any case, also Kata is judged not because of personal taste, but according a strict code of execution (like artistic gymnastics)...the various routines do even have a proper name to make them recognizable in advance (so the judges already know what they're looking at and what they are looking for in any exercise)...

p.s. meanwhile Kumite perfectly fits one of the 3 main points of Olympic Sports (Citius = Faster), as points are awarded when you execute a proper technique faster than your opponent (not only, there are a lot of versions where the contact between fighters is full, not even semi- or controlled like in the WKF kind of Kumite)...

Okay now I’m really curious, why is Shooting a sport? And what is your definition of a sport?

Also, worth nothing Martial Arts, not Martial Sports. 

Why aren’t (in your opinion) Surfing, Skateboarding, Artistic Swimming sports?

I’m not trying to be combative, I’m genuinely curious.

basically, the score must come from one of the 3 main perspectives of the Olympic motto (Altius = Higher, Citius = Faster, Fortius = Stronger), at least in a metaphorical way...

to make it clear...all disciplines involving man vs man competition, the fight against the clock or any other objective form of measurement (Shooting = precision) are sports...

those whose winners are only based on personal judgement with no explicit strict coding of execution of the execises can't be considered as sports (that's why diving and artistic gymnastics are and artistic swimming and rhythmic gymnastics aren't)...

for "pure" mind games, it's mainly about the absolute lack of physical activity...

and I'm pretty sure that my opinion is also heavily biased because of my personal taste...that's why I wrote that's just my opinion and I don't pretend to be "the Truth" at all...;)

Edited by phelps

4 minutes ago, phelps said:

about shooting you're wrong...try to shoot 60/100 shots in 60/75 mins without a proper physical training (at least a partial one, including the shooting arm muscles, everything related to breathing and, for those who shoot from a standing position, also the back muscles)...

after 5 mins you're going to start hitting the roof instead of the target in front of you because your arm just won't keep straight anymore...:evil:;)

however, I understand why most people who never tried to spend an hour or so at the shooting range have that deceptive opinion about the skills required by competitive shooting...

Karate is about Kumite...Kata (the "forms") is just a small part of it...

and in any case, also Kata is judged not because of personal taste, but according a strict code of execution (like artistic gymnastics)...the various routines do even have a proper name to make them recognizable in advance (so the judges already know what they're looking at and what they are looking for in any exercise)...

p.s. meanwhile Kumite perfectly fits one of the 3 main points of Olympic Sports (Citius = Faster), as points are awarded when you execute a proper technique faster than your opponent (not only, there are a lot of versions where the contact between fighters is full, not even semi- or controlled like in the WKF kind of Kumite)...

I didn’t mean to indicate that shooters aren’t athletic, but I do think that e-sports players have to be just as athletic. You’d be surprised to know how much of them do athletic training (in fact most would recommend it to be better at e-sports). 

The thing with martial arts, is that most of them were invented to be art forms and combat techniques. Most of the early masters didn’t believe in using them for sport and competition. 

It’s worth nothing that the Olympics were originally supposed to be a celebration of art and sport (much like the Jeux De Francophonie). I think the IOC is moving back towards this original vision. If it were up to me, Chess, Dancing, and other sports of the like would have been on the program long ago. However, I do not also like judging art, so it’s a big inner battle for me. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

For me any activity is a sport. But the question is about "competitive sport" - you can count the time of a runner, the distance of the jumper, the number of shoots into the target and so on... It's all objective. When it comes to judging the style, it's all subjective thus there cannot be a justice aka it shouldn't be any competition because it's not fair.

3 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

For me any activity is a sport. But the question is about "competitive sport" - you can count the time of a runner, the distance of the jumper, the number of shoots into the target and so on... It's all objective. When it comes to judging the style, it's all subjective thus there cannot be a justice aka it shouldn't be any competition because it's not fair.

This is why I think we should to computer judged execution for artistic sports. It should be between 50-75% of the score, with difficulty (judged by a pre determined code of points) being 20-50%, and then artistic impression being 0-25% of the score.

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

This is why I think we should to computer judged execution for artistic sports. It should be between 50-75% of the score, with difficulty (judged by a pre determined code of points) being 20-50%, and then artistic impression being 0-25% of the score.

It doesn't change a thing - one judge gives 10 because he is from the same nation as the athlete, while the other gives 9,5 because he took bribes from his rival. How can we believe the result is fair? The athletes loses by 0,01. Is it fair? It's a sick kind of competition.

32 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

It doesn't change a thing - one judge gives 10 because he is from the same nation as the athlete, while the other gives 9,5 because he took bribes from his rival. How can we believe the result is fair? The athletes loses by 0,01. Is it fair? It's a sick kind of competition.

Clearly you don’t understand what I’m saying. Computer judges execution. Difficulty is judged by a pre-determined code of points. Artistic score is small, and really only used as a tiebreaker.

Even nature just doesn't want Indonesia to host the Olympics...

The roads surrounding the National Sport Complex are flooded, a great way to start 2020

https://twitter.com/merdekadotcom/status/1212168565408681986?s=19

As of now the water is up to my ankle :wacko:

36 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

Even nature just doesn't want Indonesia to host the Olympics...

The roads surrounding the National Sport Complex are flooded, a great way to start 2020

https://twitter.com/merdekadotcom/status/1212168565408681986?s=19

As of now the water is up to my ankle :wacko:

Time for that new capital :p