website statistics

Wrestling UWW World Championships 2023 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

26 minutes ago, Roamingrover86 said:

Great opportunity for us in 60 Kg , we have a decent wrestler at 60 as well.  Only :KOR wrestler is probably better than ours . If we land a good draw we could have this quota. 

interestingly even after removing top 5, I think Asia is still tough in this weight :p the Korean is good but I believe you have to

be more worried about the Kazakh guy. and we also have North Korea if they decide to participate. I think those 2 Asian quotas will be between KAZ/IND/KOR and PRK

Edited by MHSN

Ibrahim Ghanem or El Wansh is still not popular name in France despite the fact he won 1st gold for France in Wrestling world championship since 2014 , he won silver last year and silver in ECH this year, all his followers are Egyptians actually Wether his teammates when he was playing for Egypt or Egyptian fans 

Edited by thepharoah

11 minutes ago, thepharoah said:

Ibrahim Ghanem or El Wansh is still not popular name in France despite the fact he won 1st gold for France in Wrestling world championship since 2014 , hexeon silver last year and silver in ECH this year, all his followers are Egyptians actually Wether his teammates when he was playing for Egypt or Egyptian fans 

Wrestling is unfortunately considered as a (very) minor sports discipline in France (especially compared to other combat sports like boxing or judo). I think his gold medal will make a page in l'Equipe (the largest sports magazine in France), but it will be the only media coverage for him. I myself admit to having learned of Ibrahim Ghanem's existence yesterday. :cry:

Yesterday, the French guy broke Fritsch's fingers twice. The first time he did an action. He was constantly apologizing for his series of fouls. No consequences. They never sent him down and he did nothing. No comment.

Edited by Sindo

Finally Bulgaria :BUL with a quota from the Championship, won by Semen Novikov in Men's Greco-Roman 87kg. 

However performance from Bulgarian team was below expectations. We won 3 bronze medals (2 in Non-Olympic categories). I truly hope our wrestlers will take their lessons and come stronger in last two Olympic qualifications.

18 minutes ago, Bulgaria87 said:

Finally Bulgaria :BUL with a quota from the Championship, won by Semen Novikov in Men's Greco-Roman 87kg. 

However performance from Bulgarian team was below expectations. We won 3 bronze medals (2 in Non-Olympic categories). I truly hope our wrestlers will take their lessons and come stronger in last two Olympic qualifications.

I wrote that Semen Novikov worth to have attention ;)

He is one of the most talanted Ukrainian wrestler of this generation, but his problem was the same category with Zhan Belenyuk.

Novikov wanted to wrestle in Tokio for Ukraine, but Belenyuk was selected (and he proved the choice was excellent - with his Olympic gold).

Semen did not take it easy and leaved Ukraine for Bulgaria.

Now you have a brilliant wrestler who will definitely will be a medal contender in Paris. Hope they both will win medals - Belenyuk and Novikov.

last day quotas

67: :CUB:AZE:SRB:IRI:ARM

87: :TUR:HUN:UKR:BUL:KAZ

Azerbaijan won the team title and Iran once again finished 2nd, same as freestyle :wacko: I was expecting more medals with better color but 1 G, 1 S, 3 B plus 4 Olympic quotas is not a bad result at all. that's even one more than last time in 2019 

32 minutes ago, MHSN said:

last day quotas

67: :CUB:AZE:SRB:IRI:ARM

87: :TUR:HUN:UKR:BUL:KAZ

Azerbaijan won the team title and Iran once again finished 2nd, same as freestyle :wacko: I was expecting more medals with better color but 1 G, 1 S, 3 B plus 4 Olympic quotas is not a bad result at all. that's even one more than last time in 2019 

What is your oppinion on russian GR perfomance? They got zero "quotas" in GR and WW. And these results came just after the strange explanations from UWW on participation of russian wrestlers here. At the same time russain government announced that they will definitely pay compensation (up to 500 000 RUR) fro those who will miss the Games and they doubt they will pay somenting to those who will go to the games under the white flag.

So the question: their result is a matter of quliaty or a matter of motivation?

8 hours ago, avlar said:

What is your oppinion on russian GR perfomance? They got zero "quotas" in GR and WW. And these results came just after the strange explanations from UWW on participation of russian wrestlers here. At the same time russain government announced that they will definitely pay compensation (up to 500 000 RUR) fro those who will miss the Games and they doubt they will pay somenting to those who will go to the games under the white flag.

So the question: their result is a matter of quliaty or a matter of motivation?

They were unbelievably bad, they ended up with just 1 bronze in a non-Olympic weight. half of them were unknown to me and those famous wrestlers also failed badly. their best chance Sargsian broke his hand in his first match against the eventual gold medalist from Cuba. 

some of their biggest names like Evloev and Vlasov didn't participate but I think in general they are just getting weak. we rarely even heard anything about their Greco team before the competition. it was all about freestyle.