website statistics

Swimming at the Aquatics FINA World Championships 2019

vinipereira

16 minutes ago, Vektor said:

What an unexpected gold from Kapás! I still think that the gold in Tokyo is unlikely (I mean, her time wouldn't have been enough for the Top4 two years ago in Budapest), but I hope that she will improve and get a medal next year. 

I have to agree, the last time you would have won gold with that time was in 1998! We can already say that this will be by far the weakest event of the whole competition.

Hentke choked once again, Belmonte isn't in shape and both american also choke. Every year you have some new 16 or 17 yo girl who goes 2:07 or 2:06 but then they just stop progressing. I think Regan Smith could win this event next year. I don't see any chance that it won't take at least 2:05 low to win gold in Tokyo and i don't see Kapas getting there given her age. Sadly Szilagy never developed as expected after her breakthrough in 2014.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

6 minutes ago, Joshi said:

Dressel v Chalmers what a fantastic final. Dressel is just a champion and an all round nice person. He left Chalmers to do too much in the end. Other than that it's been a good champs so far for Australia. 

Chalmers with Dressel's start -> At least 46.6

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 minute ago, OlympicsFan said:

I have to agree, the last time you would have won gold with that time was in 1998! We can already say that this will be by far the weakest event of the whole competition.

I just don't understand what happened to Flickinger and Drabot on the last 50m. They didn't even start that fast, I have no idea why they had a 34s last 50m. 

1 minute ago, Vektor said:

I just don't understand what happened to Flickinger and Drabot on the last 50m. They didn't even start that fast, I have no idea why they had a 34s last 50m. 

I think the nerves got to them (i don't think either of them has even been medal favorite at a major competition) + i don't get why you would swim 2:05 in prelims when 2:10 gets you to the semifinal.

Even though Medeiros won silver, I'm very disappointed today. This was our best opportunity for gold. And no medal in the men's 100 m freestyle final is a big shock. Our performance in Olympic events is just terrible here. Now we have only three more chances for a medal: 50 m freestyle, both with Fratus and Medeiros, and men's 4 x 200 m freestyle, which I think will be unlikely. 

3 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Even though Medeiros won silver, I'm very disappointed today. This was our best opportunity for gold. And no medal in the men's 100 m freestyle final is a big shock. Our performance in Olympic events is just terrible here. Now we have only three more chances for a medal: 50 m freestyle, both with Fratus and Medeiros, and men's 4 x 200 m freestyle, which I think will be unlikely. 

How is no medal in the 100 free final a big shock? I would say at least 90 % of people expected Dressel, Chalmers and Grinev to win the medals.