website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

Just rewatched Night of the Living Dead (1968) at the Zagreb Film Festival.

Damn, that film seems to be really relevant these days. It's as if it predicted America's mass shootings of today - media decribes zombies as people suffering from mass murderer epidemic.

#banbestmen

On 09/11/2019 at 05:12, Olympian1010 said:

Another new HBO show dropped today. It’s called “His Dark Materials” and it’s an alternate dimension, mystery, big brother, conspiracy, sci-fi, magic show. It has a lot of potential potential, but the first episode wasn’t as gripping as “Watchmen”. I believe this show is also based off a book(s). I’ll definitely watch the rest of the season, but it’s a unique look and tone for HBO. It’s normal your normal HBO or television show for that matter. I’m genuinely curious to see where they go with it.

HBO still killing the game this year.

I'm watching "His Dark Materials" also, have seen the first 2 episodes, the third is on BBC on Sunday. So far it's worth a watch but not really gripped yet. Hopefully it will take off.

Just now, OlympicIRL said:

I'm watching "His Dark Materials" also, have seen the first 2 episodes, the third is on BBC on Sunday. So far it's worth a watch but not really gripped yet. Hopefully it will take off.

Yeah, it’s got a great cast and perfect cinematography, but the plot has left a bit to be desired so far.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Also, I'm now starting the 13th season of "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia".... it's taken me so long, but almost up to date at last :d. Loved the earlier seasons of this show and still some really funny episodes, but Season 12 was definitely the weakest I watched so far.

Totally recommend giving this YouTube channel a follow. They post a lot of really creative short films that make me very jealous as a writer :p

@heywoodu I think you’ll appreciate that they always use the proper language for the setting.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

If anybody goes to see Ford v. Ferrari, you can see my home race track where I grew up watching races :d

21 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

If anybody goes to see Ford v. Ferrari, you can see my home race track where I grew up watching races :d

Very well made movie, and pretty historically accurate. It was a truly fun experience as an endurance racing fan. It actually made me feel younger a bit because that’s what I grew up watching. The acting is good, and the movie is paced well. I had to choose between seeing this or Jojo Rabbit today, and I think I made the right choice. Of course, I’ll be seeing Jojo Rabbit tomorrow. 

Alright, so, Jojo Rabbit. It’s an interesting concept. The costuming is delightful, and outright hilarious at times. There is a clear message (ie. Nazis are bad). The acting is phenomenal from the entire cast, not a single weak performance. Where the movie doesn’t hold up, is as a satire. It would be better described as a historical comedy in my opinion. The writing is just to simple to be a satire. It’s a wonderful attempt at it, but it falls short. It doesn’t make you ask the questions a successful satire should. It also leave you feeling a bit odd at the end.

Spoiler

Then again, hearing a ten year old scream at Hitler and punt him out a window does give the movie serious points :p

Overall, I’d say the film is a success. Albeit, not the success people expected. I’d give the film anywhere between a 7.0-8.5/10. I’d need to rewatch it twice to get the most accurate ranking most likely.