website statistics

Games of the Small States of Europe 2023

Totallympics

55 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:

@Olympian1010do you know if squash have a double bronze medallist? If yes, Malta secured the 1st medal of the Games.

I’m not sure, but I can try a check.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I didn’t get a definitive answer @Gianlu33. In the past, I believe that events with four or less entries have played a bronze, while events with higher entires have done double awards. The focus here is very much on winning though. The atmosphere is pretty laid back, but it’s clear this event means a lot to the athletes. 

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Local Maltese sports channel will be broadcasting a lot of live events. This is the link https://tvmi.mt/live/4

One can also try Youtube. Search GSSE Malta 2023.  Currently Cypurs vs Luxembourg are playing in Basketball. 

Tonight there is the opening ceremony which will also be aired live. 

3 hours ago, Glen said:

Tonight there is the opening ceremony which will also be aired live. 

I tried to get a ticket (because there’s apparently no reserved seating for media), but it seems I was too late. Will you be attending in any sports over the next few days? I’ve found it hard to gauge local interest in the event.

Edited by Olympian1010

For those interested, I put together a list of the Olympians competing in Malta (along with their results).

Athletics

Pol Moya :AND - 800m [2020]: 37th {R1}, 800m [2016]: 37th {R1}

Charles Grethen :LUX - 1500m [2020]: 12th {Final}, 800m [2016]: 38th {R1}

Bob Bertemes :LUX - Shot Put [2020]: 21st {Qualification}

Luke Bezzina :MLT - 100m [2016]: Did Not Advance {Prelims}

Danijel Furtula :MNE - Discus [2020]: 24th {Qualification}, Discus [2016]: No Mark {Qualification}, Discus [2012]: 38th {Qualification}

Women

Charline Mathias :LUX - 800m [2016]: 58th {R1}

Carla Scicluna :MLT - 100m [2020]: 54th {QF}

Charlotte Wingfield :MLT - 100m [2016]: 57th {QF}

Charlotte Afriat :MON - 100m [2020]: Did Not Advance {Prelims}

Judo

Men

Raphael Schwendinger :LIE -90kg [2020]: 17th {Round of 32}

Cédric Bessi :MON -73kg [2020]: 9th {Round of 16}

Paolo Persoglia :SMR -90kg [2020]: 17th {Round of 32}

Sailing

Men

Milivoj Dukić :MNE - Laser [2020]: 17th, Laser [2016]: 29th, Laser [2012]: 30th

Women

Marilena Makri :CYP - Laser Radial [2020]: 33rd

Shooting

Men

Andreas Makri :CYP - Trap [2020]: 28th

William Chetcuti :MLT - Double Trap [2016]: 17th, Double Trap [2012]: 9th, Double Trap [2008]: 8th, Double Trap [2004]: 9th

Gian Marco Berti :SMR - Trap [2020]: 18th, Mixed Team Trap [2020]: 2nd

Women

Eleanor Bezzina :MLT - 10m Air Pistol [2020]: 26th, 10m Air Pistol [2016]: 22nd, 25m Pistol [2020]: 41st, 25m Pistol [2016]: 36th

Alessandra Perilli :SMR - Trap [2020]: 3rd, Trap [2016]: 16th, Trap [2012]: 4th, Mixed Team Trap [2020]: 2nd

Swimming

Men

Nikolas Antoniou :CYP - 50m Freestyle [2020]: 45th, 100m Freestyle [2020]: 40th

Anton McKee :ISL - 100m Breaststroke [2016]: 35th, 200m Breaststroke [2020]: 24th, 200m Breaststroke [2016]: 18th, 1500m Freestyle [2012]: 25th, 400m Individual Medley: 31st

Théo Druenne :MON - 1500m Freestyle [2020]: 28th

Women

Kalia Antoniou :CYP - 50m Freestyle [2020]: 27th, 100m Freestyle [2020]: 29th

Snæfríður Jórunnardóttir :ISL - 100m Freestyle [2020]: 34th, 200m Freestyle [2020]: 22nd

Sasha Gatt :MLT - 400m Freestyle [2020]: 22nd, 1500m Freestyle [2020]: 33rd

Claudia Verdino :MON - 100m Breaststroke [2020]: DSQ

Arianna Valloni :SMR - 800m Freestyle [2020]: 29th, 1500m Freestyle [2020]: 32nd

Table Tennis

Women

Xiaoxin Yang :MON - Singles: Eliminated {Round 3}

Okay, this ceremony is already much better than the last few for the GSSE. I can definitely tell where the budget for this event went :p

I’m really sad I couldn’t get my hands on a ticket to the opening ceremony. I think the local organizers did a pretty good job with this. 

The schedule makes it seem like there will be a double award of bronze medals in singles squash. If so, :MLT:LIE are both guaranteed at least a bronze medal.  

4 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I tried to get a ticket (because there’s apparently no reserved seating for media), but it seems I was too late. Will you be attending in any sports over the next few days? I’ve found it hard to gauge local interest in the event.

The intention is to go and see some sports maybe Rugby Sevens and Athletics although I haven't made any concrete plans yet. Attendance for all events is free. 

I tend to agree with you that there hasn't been much promotion on streets. I thing there was more emphasis on TV and online adverts. The hype for the games will start increasing during this week especially when the first medals will be won.

I was surprised to read that you came to Malta to cover these Games. Not too sure about the popularity of the Games out side of the participating countries, even in Europe.  

9 hours ago, Glen said:

I was surprised to read that you came to Malta to cover these Games. Not too sure about the popularity of the Games out side of the participating countries, even in Europe.  

I’ve always been fascinated by the European micro-states, and my interest is peaked the minute any multi-sport competition arises.

These tend to have a pretty good following on Totallympics, but I don’t tend to see much excitement for them elsewhere.