website statistics

European Games 2023

Totallympics

I see now that there are apparently three categories of kickboxing....pointfighting, full contact and.....light contact :d 

Light contact kickboxing, is that where you can carefully touch someone and say "Hit you!"? :p 

Honestly every form of kickboxing that's not simply full contact sounds slightly silly without ever having seen it, but who knows.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

23 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Looking at it in more detail.....not much.  We don't get prelims of archery (never ever have, even at London 2012), shooting prelims or the fencing round robin of Modern Pentathlon.  I guess for sports like table tennis, badminton etc there is just one main show court, not every single concurrent match like at the Olympics.  Ditto for the beach sports.  Otherwise, pretty much the lot.

Yeah that's fine, all those prelims rounds for me mostly consist of checking the results anyway :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

23 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Light contact kickboxing, is that where you can carefully touch someone and say "Hit you!"? :p 

well not really :p

So, what is light contact kickboxing?

Light contact kickboxing has all the same moves and rules to Full contact kickboxing but can be fought in either a boxing ring or on mats. The rounds are usually either 1.5 or 2 minutes and the contact is controlled in a lighter manner. The best way to describe it is its sort of like a competitive sparring bout. As fighters can feel very nervous in the ring, their punches may naturally be harder than what’s allowed and this is for the referee to intervene and control the contact.

There is no win by knockout and the winner is decided by the referee to who performed the best. If a knockout does happen, the fighter who threw the heavy blow is disqualified.

Here’s a bump for this if we haven’t already had it.  The three athletics divisions.  Remember, there are team (as usual) & individual medals. The individual medals are taken across all three competitions, so I can see :IRL or Gega :ALB picking up medals from Div III.

https://www.eurolympic.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/App1_ETCH2023_Grouping.pdf

12 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Here’s a bump for this if we haven’t already had it.  The three athletics divisions.  Remember, there are team (as usual) & individual medals. The individual medals are taken across all three competitions, so I can see :IRL or Gega :ALB picking up medals from Div III.

https://www.eurolympic.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/App1_ETCH2023_Grouping.pdf

Not entirely sure the Team medals will be counted in the EG medal table. The official site list 37 events (which is the exact amount of athletics disciplines) I guess, the team medals will be awarded as usual, but not counted in the final tally

9 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Not entirely sure the Team medals will be counted in the EG medal table. The official site list 37 events (which is the exact amount of athletics disciplines) I guess, the team medals will be awarded as usual, but not counted in the final tally

Ah OK & promotion/relegation will work as usual.

1 hour ago, hckošice said:

I don´t know why, but I still have that feeling this will not work and it will be just geoblocked in Europe. I do not really see why they would let streams available in countries they sold broadcasting rights. that just doesn´t happen.

but let see and pray, however I am quite sceptical and rather do not want to celebrate too early (even if it is clear, that it may be the only option for me to watch the Games :pope:)

I’m not so pessimistic - as far as I can see in :GBR BBC are not showing anything on mainstream TV - 100% Tennis, Glastonbury etc - just online streaming only. When that happens, they don’t normally enforce the geo-block. 

8 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

I’m not so pessimistic - as far as I can see in :GBR BBC are not showing anything on mainstream TV - 100% Tennis, Glastonbury etc - just online streaming only. When that happens, they don’t normally enforce the geo-block. 

Sure, there is hope, as very VERY little is televised. As I checked through various european TV schedules practicallyit is the same everywhere in Europe, Very small amount of transmissions. basically 3 to 5 broadcasts of entire games everywhere.

Maybe we have a hope :p 

:fingers::pope:

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I see now that there are apparently three categories of kickboxing....pointfighting, full contact and.....light contact :d 

Honestly every form of kickboxing that's not simply full contact sounds slightly silly without ever having seen it, but who knows.

3 hours ago, hckošice said:

well not really :p

So, what is light contact kickboxing?

Light contact kickboxing has all the same moves and rules to Full contact kickboxing but can be fought in either a boxing ring or on mats. The rounds are usually either 1.5 or 2 minutes and the contact is controlled in a lighter manner. The best way to describe it is its sort of like a competitive sparring bout. As fighters can feel very nervous in the ring, their punches may naturally be harder than what’s allowed and this is for the referee to intervene and control the contact.

There is no win by knockout and the winner is decided by the referee to who performed the best. If a knockout does happen, the fighter who threw the heavy blow is disqualified.

let's say that Light Contact Kickboxing is the least interesting of all the combat sports (it doesn't even have the characteristics that make Olympic Karate somehow exciting despite the lack of true hard hits)...