website statistics

Winter Youth Olympic Games 2020

Olympian1010

15 hours ago, MHSN said:

decent ?  :d no way. from what I know there were talks about starting Biathlon and Curling but never happened. and won't happen anytime soon.

Well Iranian cross country skiers are not too bad, better than most Asian countries. Way better than the Saudi ones also.

10 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yeah, I’ve been largely disappointed by both the app and website so far. From what I’ve heard, the app should be a great resource come games time.

But there's a prediction contest thread with a shitload of questions, I would at the very least like who competes in which sport without having to individually look at every nation's complete team.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Well Iranian cross country skiers are not too bad, better than most Asian countries. Way better than the Saudi ones also.

seriously ?  better than Saudi Arabia :d Saudi Arabia is a desert, they don't know what's snow !

being better than most Asian countries don't mean they are any good. it means the other Asian countries are extremely bad. Iran CC skiers are still kilometres behind even top Asian countries.

40 minutes ago, MHSN said:

seriously ?  better than Saudi Arabia :d Saudi Arabia is a desert, they don't know what's snow !

being better than most Asian countries don't mean they are any good. it means the other Asian countries are extremely bad. Iran CC skiers are still kilometres behind even top Asian countries.

Not in the case of Iran's best female CC skier :p I mean, yeah she's pretty far behind the best Japanese, but at this year's world championships she was only 3 minutes behind one of the better Chinese skiers in a 5k race for example. Which is quite a difference, but not absolutely insanely huge :p

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIS_Nordic_World_Ski_Championships_2019_–_Women's_10_kilometre_classical

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, MHSN said:

Well, here in Britain we had absolutely zero CC skiers for about twenty-five  years, now we have three guys who regularly score World Cup points and even have a few podiums, so wherever there’s a will there’s a way.  At least Iran has lots of snow.

Edited by Grassmarket

1 hour ago, Grassmarket said:

Well, here in Britain we had absolutely zero CC skiers for about twenty-five  years, now we have three guys who regularly score World Cup points and even have a few podiums, so wherever there’s a will there’s a way.  At least Iran has lots of snow.

that's the key, there is no will here to invest on winter sports. they are not part of the Olympics (as I said before here Olympics = Summer Olympics) and they are not popular here.

there are lots of ski resorts next to Tehran and I know so many people spent their holidays there to have fun. but not for a serious sport. if you take a look at Iranian skiers, most of them share the same surnames (Saveh-Shemshaki, Kalhor, Seyd) they are local families in those ski resorts, and when you are limited to 3-4 families you will finish 3 minutes behind China :d

54 minutes ago, MHSN said:

that's the key, there is no will here to invest on winter sports. they are not part of the Olympics (as I said before here Olympics = Summer Olympics) and they are not popular here.

there are lots of ski resorts next to Tehran and I know so many people spent their holidays there to have fun. but not for a serious sport. if you take a look at Iranian skiers, most of them share the same surnames (Saveh-Shemshaki, Kalhor, Seyd) they are local families in those ski resorts, and when you are limited to 3-4 families you will finish 3 minutes behind China :d

Same everywhere, even in big countries like Italy & France all the winter sportspeople come from small villages & you get family dynasties of sportsmen.

6 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Yes, they have to be exported from Scotland and obviously we are forbidden to send big heavy lumps of rock to a dangerous country like Iran. :d

Well, for my club it was a problem to get a full set of stones - finally we've got some help from the other clubs. Still, we are not able to organize a bonspiel as we have only one set, which we pay off yearly.