website statistics

Alpine Skiing FIS World Cup 2018 - 2019

hckošice

16 minutes ago, Gigs said:

The finalists of Oslo, Schwarz and Ryding already going against each other in the first round...the fis should really be able to figure out how stupid this is themselves. 

They are using the slalom start list, but perhaps it’d be more useful to use the ranking of the previous let’s say 5 parallel races. 

It’s stupid anyway to let top16 perform. Make a qualifying run or don’t exclude lower ranked players that would excel in this.

I wonder, am I the only one really wishing they would stop using gs gates for the parallel slaloms? It just seems so unfair to me now that everyone uses the cross blocking technique. Being heavy and tall is just such a huge advantage now and in a sport like skiing where 1.7 meter tall athletes compete against 2 meter tall athletes having a discipline that favors one of the two so immensly just seems nonsensical to me. 

Edit: Oh, and you have stuff like the flag sometimes randomly wrapping itself around the body or the pole of a skier like with Hirscher just now. 

@Shiffrin, yeah I completely agree. And I know they were using the slalom starting list but that's exactly my problem. Either you want a fair event, in that case the current system doesn't work as the Schwarz, Ryding example shows, or you want to use the slalom starting list to favor the best slalom skiers as you could argue they deserve that advantage. But then again you aren't exactly favoring the number one of the starting list by letting him go against the unbeatable Zenhäusern in the 2nd round. 

Edited by Gigs

31 minutes ago, Gigs said:

The finalists of Oslo, Schwarz and Ryding already going against each other in the first round...the fis should really be able to figure out how stupid this is themselves. 

Swenn-Larsson vs. Holdener

and

Hirscher vs. Zenhausern in quarters was a bit unfair to I must say

Gerade eben schrieb Kirkpatrick:

2 runs in quarters as well? That's something new, or I just forgot how it was previously...?

In the city events with only 16 skiers there have always been 2 runs in all stages of the event. It's only the events like in Alta Badia, Courchevel or St. Moritz where that wasn't the case (for god knows what reason)