website statistics

Bobsleigh at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

7 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

They are not. Poland "won" three gold medals (poetry 1928, sculpture 1932, music 1948) and nobody counts them in the medal table.

Nobody counts them here too and I thought they weren't officially recognised events anymore.  Although on olympedia they count them so who knows :mumble:

25 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

It’s :MON second best performance at the Olympic Games. Julien Médécin won a bronze in architecture in 1924.

Frank "Skinny Legs" Lloyd Wright famously bombed out on the wrestling leg when he hit Le Corbusier over the head with an angle-poise lamp.

9 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Nobody counts them here too and I thought they weren't officially recognised events anymore.  Although on olympedia they count them so who knows :mumble:

Ask someone from Luxembourg if anything. They "won" art drawing in 1928 but I presume Josy Barthel remains their only gold medal winner (1952). From what I know IOC doesn't recognize those art medals anymore.

19 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

They are not. Poland "won" three gold medals (poetry 1928, sculpture 1932, music 1948) and nobody counts them in the medal table.

Think I'd like to have a closer look at the judges' marks on the poetry, to be honest. If you can rig a boxing final, how hard would it be to fix a poetry competition?

47 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

Maybe @Dragon can provide some additional info?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Wrt these non sporting medals:

There is a small park in downtown Budapest, the Olympic Park (not far from the Parliament Bldg). In the park,  there's a monument with the name and event of every :HUN Olympic medallist per OG (when I was last there there was even space left for future medallists to be added)

I remember at some early Games some of those non sporting medals were also added in a separate line on the monument.

Maybe they wanted to be exhaustive

I assume the official medal tally of :HUN does not include these medals.

I’d like to see him stick around for another cycle, but if this is his last race, what a way to finish :hatoff:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Wow, Martin Haven totally misread Rinaldi's reaction after the fourth run. He looked utterly disappointed for making a cheap mistake he avoided in previous runs, and dropping one place. Oh well. Still a great result for Monaco!

Bronze for Hafer? This is becoming ridiculous. Hafer would be the first to say that the two-man is his weak event. Clean sweep is virtually guaranteed for the four-man.

#banbestmen