website statistics

Wrestling Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

Totallympics

48 minutes ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

I understand. For someone who came close to beating the world champion earlier this year, it's a pity to not be in Paris. She could have even medalled but it's cruel qualifying in sports like wrestling.

Can't agree more. Also in other sports. Sometimes the mental pressure can squeeze you and you freeze during the most important moment ..... Let's hope she will be stronger for LA28 🙂

3 hours ago, Jan Linha said:

Anybody from :UKR or :ROU has any info Women's 68kg reallocation? 

I think it should go to :UKR Skobelska but if not, next on the list should be :ROU Anghel and if also this one is rejected then it's :CZE Hanzlickova 😃😃😃

I just wonder why her name is still on wiki, Czech team has not confirmed anything ..... But is there any possibility that the reallocation goes another way? For example, in shooting, as I was told, the reallocation goes to countries that yet haven't qualified any athlete in the certain discipline. If it went similar way, it may go to countries that yet have no athlete in this sport, as there is no Czech female wrestler qualified, only one male - Artur Omarov in GR 97. 

Just trying to consider any other possibilities as we still know nothing where the reallocations go..... 

the head of the Romanian wrestling federation communicated that after the meeting of the international federation, Razvan Arnaut is qualified for the Olympic Games. In the press release, he specified that he feels very sorry for Anghel, who was very close, but unfortunately did not qualify. On wikipedia I saw that Nicu Ojog is also qualified, but absolutely nothing was said about him.

51 minutes ago, IoNuTzZ said:

the head of the Romanian wrestling federation communicated that after the meeting of the international federation, Razvan Arnaut is qualified for the Olympic Games. In the press release, he specified that he feels very sorry for Anghel, who was very close, but unfortunately did not qualify. On wikipedia I saw that Nicu Ojog is also qualified, but absolutely nothing was said about him.

So we have first confirmation of the reallocation.

But we still do not know the way of reallocation beacause quota for Arnaut was clear without any alternative

35 minutes ago, avlar said:

So we have first confirmation of the reallocation.

But we still do not know the way of reallocation beacause quota for Arnaut was clear without any alternative

in the press release it was said that the reallocation of the quota will be done depending on where the AIN athlete won it (world championship or qualification tournament).

7 minutes ago, IoNuTzZ said:

in the press release it was said that the reallocation of the quota will be done depending on where the AIN athlete won it (world championship or qualification tournament).

Give a link to this press release. Thank you

5 hours ago, IoNuTzZ said:

Here is a translation from google of the passages about wrestling.

It is extremely interesting!

The president of the Romanian Wrestling Federation, Răzvan Pîrcălabu, announced that Arnăut qualified after the International Olympic Committee decided to declare several athletes from Russia and Belarus ineligible.

"Yesterday we had a meeting of the Executive Office within the UWW and following the discussions the list of the last athletes qualified for the Olympic Games in Paris was approved. And Răzvan Arnăut qualified in the 60 kilogram category.

It is extraordinary news for us because here, the number of Romanian fighters qualified for Paris increases to five, exactly as we had at Tokyo 2020. If Alexandra Anghel also managed to get the ticket, which was very close to qualifying, now with Arnăut I had 6 qualified, exactly the goal I had set for Paris.
Because that's what I wanted, to have at least one more athlete than in Tokyo. But it's good anyway, with Răzvan Arnăut, our chances of a medal have increased," said Pîrcălabu, quoted by Agerpres.

The FRL official explained how the replacements for Russian and Belarusian athletes excluded from the Olympic Games were determined. Pîrcălabu also announced that, following this decision of the IOC, Andrea Ana's route to Paris 2024 has been eased, as she will get rid of a very strong opponent.
"The reason why these last athletes qualified is related to political issues. Specifically, the International Olympic Committee sent the UWW a list of 8 athletes who qualified but are ineligible for the Paris Olympics for political and military reasons It is about Russians and Belarusians.

So we had to consider replacing them. There were several discussions in the Executive Office regarding the criteria for replacing the qualified. Some of the members wanted to qualify based on the ranking at the World Championships, and another, including myself, argued that it was right that the athlete immediately below the line in the competition should receive the right to participate in Paris the respective Russian or Belarusian qualified.

How is it logical, that is, if the qualification for the World Cup was obtained, to go up next on the list from the World Cup, if it was at a qualification tournament, to go up next from that competition. In the 60 kilogram category, the Russian athlete in question had qualified in Istanbul, where Arnăut was next on the list. The fact that I am a member of the Executive Office allowed me to defend Romania's cause and thus we managed to reach 5 qualified athletes.

Following the decision taken at the UWW level, Andrea Ana's route to Paris in the 53 kg category was made easier, in the sense that among the 8 ineligible athletes there is also the athlete from Belarus who had eliminated her in the round of 16 in Tokyo (n.e. Vanesa Kolodinskaia, bronze medalist in Tokyo). Belarus is an Olympic, world and European medalist, but now she will not be able to participate. So Andreea Ana will no longer meet her on the route to Paris," added the FRL president.

27 minutes ago, copravolley said:

I read it but now on Wikipedia has both Chinese and Chamizo...

The wikipedia editor just randomly added "additional places" for AIN wrestlers. The Chinese gets Sidakov's quota (correct, and I think now certain since Chamizo has been told of that), Chamizo must hope that Belarus refuse to use the quota won at the European qualifiers. If they agree to send Yahor Akulich (which wikipedia places as the 18th wrestler - it doesn't make sense) then there is no hope for other reallocations.