website statistics

Swimming Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

10 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Okay, I’ve got a question about how this works quota wise then? 

Hypothetically, if Deplano is the only Italian swimmer to swim a OQT in the men’s 50m freestyle during the qualification period, but he fails to do so at any of the championships counted by the federation, would they still turn down a quota in the event?

Basically, I’m asking if quota places should still be provisionally awarded to Italy here, or if there’s a possibility they will be declined.

Italiana system is a little bit complicate.

Italian federation's standard Times are used like trials. There are some distances (100 br w, 100 fs m) with many strong athtletes. In any case, Italy not decline quotas, but add swimmers at the end of qualification period

Edited by Giovanni Gianni Cattaneo

1 hour ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I think it is safe to say that for Team GB, results in 2023 are going to be pretty meaningless for Olympic qualification. I fully expect that they will only select athletes who have secured the qualifying times in 2024. 

It's a tough one to call with the 2024 worlds being in such an awkward place. I'd like to think we'd be counting times from 2023 British Summer Champs onwards. 

20 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

It's a tough one to call with the 2024 worlds being in such an awkward place. I'd like to think we'd be counting times from 2023 British Summer Champs onwards. 

Whilst that idea would be sensible, I think history shows us that GB Swimming isn't always sensible in their selection policies - I struggle to think of any other federation that has had to change their selection policy halfway through their trials because they realised their policy was nuts.

I think the priority for the 2024 Worlds is going to be on the relays - they'd be perfectly happy to come away without a single individual medal if they can get full quota of relay places. 

Going by previous selection policies, I think any individual medalists from this year's World Champs has a chance of being pre-selected for Paris but for the majority of the squad, selection is going to come down to performances at the 2024 trials which should take place in April next year. 

1 minute ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Whilst that idea would be sensible, I think history shows us that GB Swimming isn't always sensible in their selection policies - I struggle to think of any other federation that has had to change their selection policy halfway through their trials because they realised their policy was nuts.

I think the priority for the 2024 Worlds is going to be on the relays - they'd be perfectly happy to come away without a single individual medal if they can get full quota of relay places. 

Going by previous selection policies, I think any individual medalists from this year's World Champs has a chance of being pre-selected for Paris but for the majority of the squad, selection is going to come down to performances at the 2024 trials which should take place in April next year. 

That does sound like summat they'll do, although with the 2024 worlds being where it is I wouldn't be surprised if they merged some of the Paris and Doha selection processes together. GB also tend to have other meets count towards Olympic qualification, they tend to be international ones but it'd be nice to see them use the British Summer Champs with all the top athletes in each event competing (even an Autumn or Winter Champs would be useful and welcomed given the circumstances).  

20 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Okay, I’ve got a question about how this works quota wise then? 

Hypothetically, if Deplano is the only Italian swimmer to swim a OQT in the men’s 50m freestyle during the qualification period, but he fails to do so at any of the championships counted by the federation, would they still turn down a quota in the event?

Basically, I’m asking if quota places should still be provisionally awarded to Italy here, or if there’s a possibility they will be declined.

Yes, it will be declined. I guess that only Italian Championship and Settecolli will counts 

The Hungarian National Championships starts today, hopefully with multiple OQTs for Hungary.

Live results are here (It's in Hungarian, maybe Google Translate can help): https://live.musz.hu/event/program?OnlineEventId=102699363

Morning sessions will be live on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@magyaruszoszovetseg

Evening sessions will be live on M4 Sport, you will need a Hungarian VPN to watch that: https://m4sport.hu/elo/mtv4live

2 hours ago, Vektor said:

The Hungarian National Championships starts today, hopefully with multiple OQTs for Hungary.

Live results are here (It's in Hungarian, maybe Google Translate can help): https://live.musz.hu/event/program?OnlineEventId=102699363

Morning sessions will be live on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@magyaruszoszovetseg

Evening sessions will be live on M4 Sport, you will need a Hungarian VPN to watch that: https://m4sport.hu/elo/mtv4live

or maybe not...

usually National events are not blocked either on the web nor on the satellite at 9 East.

International events, instead, are normally geo-blocked (sometimes those held in HUN are not, however...it's quite a lottery).

1 hour ago, phelps said:

or maybe not...

usually National events are not blocked either on the web nor on the satellite at 9 East.

International events, instead, are normally geo-blocked (sometimes those held in HUN are not, however...it's quite a lottery).

Huh, I didn't know that, but it makes sense. 

Anyway, I am guessing Milák will earn his Olympic quota today in Men's 100 free.