website statistics

Fencing Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

On 3/26/2024 at 8:41 PM, phelps said:

here's a list of all the Fencers from Countries eligible for the Tripartite Committee invitation currently ranked in the top 250 places of the World Ranking:

women's Epee

:ISV Susana Fornaris (WR = 66)
:RWA Tufaha Uwihoreye (WR = 125)
:COD Maryam Malikova (WR = 186)

men's Epee

:MLI Keletigui Diabate (WR = 78)
:KUW Abdulrahman Almane (WR = 126)
:KUW Abdulaziz Alshatti (WR = 175)
:KUW Hasan Alfudari (WR = 183)
:ISV Sanil Sharma (WR = 199)
:ISV Kruz Schembri (WR = 205)
:LBA Abubaker Reda Algadi (WR = 206)
:LBA Abdussalam Abujtela (WR = 208)
:LBA Mohamed Eljballi (WR = 209)
:ESA Alexis Mauricio Molina Ceron (WR = 249)

women's Foil

:COD Maryam Malikova (WR = 115)

men's Foil

:MLI Mathieu Cheickh Jacques Prats (WR = 102)
:LBN Philippe Wakim (WR = 145)
:ISV Scott Lao (WR = 174)
:KUW Alì Nasaar (WR = 177)
:ESA Mihail Alejandro Salmeron Jimenez (WR = 215)
:ISV Kruz Schembri* got OQP at Pan-Am tournament

women's Sabre

:ESA Odalis Judith Maldonado Delgado (WR = 168)
:ESA Fatima Tobar (WR = 198)

men's Sabre**

:NIG Evann Jean Abba Girault (WR = 37) got OQP at African tournament
:ISL Andri Nikolaysson Mateev (WR = 157)
:ESA Oscar Andres Anaya Ramirez (WR = 230)
:ESA Ernest Douglas Hunter Doradea (WR = 231)

* he has no ranking in Foil, but he's young and very talented...I wouldn't be shocked if he does qualify at the Pan-Am Continental tournament

told you :rolleyes: :whistle:

** NOT counting the guys from :KUW, as they already qualified a man in this weapon

up

I think :ISV (women's Epee), :MLI X2 (men's Epee and Foil), :KUW (men's Epee), :COD (women's Foil), :LBN (men's Foil), :ISL (men's Sabre) and :ESA (women's Sabre) will get all the 8 tripartite places, no room for the AOR guys

25 minutes ago, Jur said:

I'm sorry but this is going out of hand. If you have two athletes as strong as the greeks, is yours federations blame only for not being able to rise a third athlete with a decent level enough to figth for the team quota.

Asking for a wildcard is absurd. One is in, the other one is out. They had three years to read the qualification process.

They made a big effort with Paizi and Mpenou, they were not able to become decent enough in 3 years, it's not so easy to rise so quickly, especially because we are a very small fencing country, and that should not be Georgiadou's responsibility.

I know the Spanish girl (who is also a fantastic fencer and deserves to be in Paris) got the quota from this since Georgiadou couldn't take it, so I also understand that you would defend this qualification process. It just makes zero sense that in fencing you can qualify 1 athlete or 3 but not 2.

And anyways, the 1976 gold medalist giving Kharlan a wildcard against the qualification process (which only happened less than one year ago, not three years ago) opened the door for things like this to happen. No one is saying that they changed the rules at the last minute and we didn't know (the same thing happened with Georgiadou for Tokyo although she wasn't ranked as high, but you keep saying that we didn't read the qualification process, obviously we did), but if they are allowing other exceptions then why shouldn't our federation try it? I think it's unlikely to be successful but at least it can draw attention and maybe cause a change in the future.

7 minutes ago, phelps said:

up

I think :ISV (women's Epee), :MLI X2 (men's Epee and Foil), :KUW (men's Epee), :COD (women's Foil), :LBN (men's Foil), :ISL (men's Sabre) and :ESA (women's Sabre) will get all the 8 tripartite places, no room for the AOR guys

Susana Fornaris retired from fencing last year due to an injury.

Furthermore it's unlikely for a country to receive two invitations in the same sport, so Mali should only get one. Especially in their situation where both fencers were raised in France and train there, so there is no benefit for the development of the sport.

And you are missing the most likely invitation which is :CPV given the good relationship between FIE and its national federation.

17 minutes ago, Cobi said:

Furthermore it's unlikely for a country to receive two invitations in the same sport, so Mali should only get one. Especially in their situation where both fencers were raised in France and train there, so there is no benefit for the development of the sport.

And you are missing the most likely invitation which is :CPV given the good relationship between FIE and its national federation.

US Virgin Islands has already qualified an individual as well, so you can also count them out as a tripartite quota. 

1 minute ago, Josh said:

US Virgin Islands has already qualified an individual as well, so you can also count them out as a tripartite quota. 

not necessarily, if they are not qualified in a given weapon, they're still eligible for one of those spots

28 minutes ago, Cobi said:

missed that :facepalm:

wouldn't be the 1st time (not talking of fencing specifically, just in general)

still, they're the 2 with the best ranking among the eligible Nations...it should count somehow

as it's written at the top of it, my list is only about fencers from eligible Nations ranked 250 or better

:CPV doesn't have any

that said, I know that a few other Countries might get a spot because of politics, even if their representatives are really, really weak ;)

at the same time, personally, I hope for the good of the Olympic Fencing tournaments, that the smallest number of those Tripartite Places will be awarded and the the most possible good fencers from the AOR get the spots, instead

Edited by phelps

1 minute ago, phelps said:

missed that :facepalm:

wouldn't be the 1st time (not talking of fencing specifically, just in general)

still, they're the 2 with the best ranking among the eligible Nations...it should count somehow

as it's written at the top of it, my list is only about fencers from eligible Nations ranked 250 or better

:CPV doesn't have any

that said, I know that a few other Countries might get a spot because of politics, even if their representatives are really, really weak ;)

at the same time, personally, I hope for the good of the Olympic Fencing tournaments, that the smallest number of those Tripartite Places will be awarded and the the most possible good fencers from the AOR get the spots, instead

But Cabo Verde has one foilist, Victor Álvares, that at the very least is top150. Not sure about his current ranking, but I remember he even made it to the second day of World Cups from time to time. 

6 minutes ago, Cobi said:

But Cabo Verde has one foilist, Victor Álvares, that at the very least is top150. Not sure about his current ranking, but I remember he even made it to the second day of World Cups from time to time. 

if I didn't miss him (which is absolutely possible), just one month ago (when I redacted that list), he wasn't in the top 250 of the WR

I'll check again tomorrow :mumble:

Edited by phelps

1 minute ago, phelps said:

if I didn't missed him (which is absolutely possible), just one month ago (when I redacted that list), he wasn't in the top 250 of the WR

I'll check again tomorrow :mumble:

I couldn't resist...I already checked that, and yes, last time I completely missed him :facepalm: :hairpull:

he's 98th, so he will certainly get a spot

1 hour ago, phelps said:

not necessarily, if they are not qualified in a given weapon, they're still eligible for one of those spots

Yeah but it makes it much more unlikely.