website statistics

Athletics Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

3 minutes ago, Faramir said:

5 (including those entered in the specific individual event) + those who are already entered in other events, relays individual (200m, 400 hurdles) can be added, so many countries can reach 7 or even more.

Well, then it seems that 8 is still tops. In this case, the heat squad and final squad would be totally different..... I think the US always included one very strong runner in order to make sure they can actually make it to the final 😁😁

6 Swedish athletes (five from athletics and one sailor) started a GoFundMe to take the Swedish Olympic Committee to CAS. Backed by a professor in law they mean that the Swedish olympic committes decision to not let these (and a few more) qualified athletes go to the olympics is not compliant with the IOC charter. 
They need 400 000 SEK and have so far (starter today) 56 000. 
https://gofund.me/e1d13159

I guess if they somehow would succeed, it would also be important for many british (probably others too) athletes in the same situation.

3 hours ago, Swewi said:

6 Swedish athletes (five from athletics and one sailor) started a GoFundMe to take the Swedish Olympic Committee to CAS. Backed by a professor in law they mean that the Swedish olympic committes decision to not let these (and a few more) qualified athletes go to the olympics is not compliant with the IOC charter. 

I guess if they somehow would succeed, it would also be important for many british (probably others too) athletes in the same situation.

I wish them luck and hopefully with a positive outcome it would help put an end to these awful cases of athletes being stopped from going to the Olympics when they have met the official qualifying criteria.

7 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

I wish them luck and hopefully with a positive outcome it would help put an end to these awful cases of athletes being stopped from going to the Olympics when they have met the official qualifying criteria.

Call me selfish, but if that means more Canadian athletes get in then I’m all for a negative outcome :p:dunno:

Really do feel bad for these athletes though. 

19 minutes ago, Josh said:

Call me selfish, but if that means more Canadian athletes get in then I’m all for a negative outcome :p:dunno:

Really do feel bad for these athletes though. 

Irish athletes have benefited from reallocations as well (though we have also rejected quotas in the past too) and while it is nice to receive a bonus of another athlete qualified, I really hope some time soon the IOC introduce some sort of rule that binds NOCs to accept all athletes who qualified by right unless the athletes were in breach of rules, etc.

Wishful thinking but would love to see that happen in the true spirit of the Olympic principles.

1 hour ago, OlympicIRL said:

These cases do occasionally break for 'the athletes' in ways you don't expect, and the Swedish/British case is pretty sympathetic - even more so considering a fair number of GB swimmers have the Olympic time but not the special Aquatics GB time, and others who have been picked have been denied individual swims - they too, presumably, would suddenly have a case. As would all the South Africans, Kiwis and aussies who have their continental places turned down.

My gut says Olympic bylaws make it clear that NOCs have discretion to insist on their own criteria and IOC will back that discretion. Unless CAS feel very strongly that the Swedes (and by extension Brits) have seriously overcooked their singular superiority to the point of robbing athletes of a sensible chance - for example, they may say that a blanket refusal on rankings places is not aceptable, and that they have to consider rankings invites in the top say 66% of the field.

Personally, I send everyone who qualifies - qualifying is, of itself, a hell of an achievement.

4 hours ago, Swewi said:

Would have a big knock on on the tendency of South Africa, Australia and New Zealand to turn down continental places.