website statistics
[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
31 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Well duh, it is a white sport. Black people and snow/ice don't mesh. They are just not that into or comfortable with winter sports. Don't you know your sporting history. It has nothing to do with money and class. 

I’ll address the rest of what you said in a moment, but this caught my attention. Black (and in general, non-white) participation has everything to do with money and class. Minority communities are often the poorest in most countries because historically policies have made it near impossible for them to rise above the poverty line. Their schools and clubs don’t earn the same support that white schools and clubs do. Winter sports are some, in not the most, expensive sports in the world. People who aren’t apart of the upper middle and upper class can’t even participate most of the time. Now, it’s not impossible to increase participation in winter sport universally, but geography, wealth, and class are definitely the biggest factors preventing access to winter sport.

Also, get out of here with that crap that “Black people and snow/ice don’t mesh.” Honestly, that’s a bit of a racist statement to make. Shuani Davis, Erin Jackson, Akwasi Frimpomg, Elena Myers-Taylor, Sabrina Simader, Philip Boit, Evander Kane, Dudley Stokes (and the rest of the Jamaica Bobsleigh Team) would politely disagree with you. This list would be longer if it weren’t for racism, money, and class. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
1 minute ago, Federer91 said:

Of course NHL will get hammered. How dare they have an opinion different than the angry mob. I am actually supporting all sport being shut down indefinitely in America. The players will get their way of not playing and we wont be wasting our time hearing about them all the time. 

Because of course we only support players when they are quiet about issues in their lives. How dare they be humans with needs, or people with emotions, or family members who want to protect their kids, spouses, and parents. It’s refreshing to know the “shut up and dribble” mentality is still alive and well.

5 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

PS. You may be the first person i know, to say that ice hockey is a bourgeois sport :d

Maybe not bourgeois, but it’s mostly a sport for upper and middle class white people. It’s an expensive sport. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
10 hours ago, heywoodu said:

What if you are slightly upset (as in, not agreeing) with the athletes' latest protest/boycott/strike/refusals etc, but still are more upset about the reasons behind it? Is that ok? Or is it only acceptable to be completely upset with the reasons behind it and be entirely in favor of the athletes' protests?

Always with the complicated positions :p

Obviously, you can hold any position you want.  

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
9 hours ago, Monzanator said:

So much for that social equality then, huh? :p

I suppose you're not boycotting Amazon though? ;)

No, I still fight for equal rights for all people. I don’t feel like I ever made the claim that equal rights was a solved issue. I fight for what’s right, and you fight/stand up for, well...nothing.

I will admit towards using Amazon’s services. It’s a hypocritical choice. I’m in the morally wrong here. I have to pick and chose battles. 

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
5 hours ago, hckosice said:

NHL ? there no boycott there as far as i know...well, maybe Boston was "somehow silently" boycotting last night assuming their performance against Tampa 1-7 :lol:

NHL got hammered by commentators, black players, and fans for not joining the strike.

My guess is that they are desperately trying to save face.

In fairness, it wasn’t unknown that ice hockey is a predominantly white, bourgeois sport.

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

If you’re more upset about the protest/boycott/strike (whatever the hell we’re labeling it), than you are about the reasons behind it, then you don’t get it yet. Just saying.

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread
Posted
2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Another unfortunate escalation last night.

Just following up on this.

[OFF TOPIC] Weather Thread
Posted

No words. California is on fire, there is political unrest throughout the country, and now Louisiana is about to get slammed by a massive hurricane.

[OFF TOPIC] Coronavirus Pandemic
Posted
18 minutes ago, rybak said:

Ok, they posted something about, it's fact, I didn't saw that, thanks :d 

But I still wonder why after wearing a mask longer than 10 minutes(!) I feel pain and something like "fire" in my throat, it happens every time. Additionaly pain dissapear after few days...

EDIT: And it isn't just my problem, my whole family have similar symptoms and several friends...

Could be something to do with the chemicals used to manufacture the masks you wear :dunno:

I’m not a medical professional, so don’t take my word for it. The best thing I can recommend is for you to do your research by reading academic peer-reviewed research.

[OFF TOPIC] Coronavirus Pandemic
Posted
1 hour ago, rybak said:

I can see that during autmn in Asia, Europe and North America we will have 2x (if not even more) bigger numbers of new infections than it was in spring and is now. People will have fungal infection in lungs "thanks" those masks as we breathe our carbon dioxide...

This can be huge problem about which WHO says nothing... And if someone will have problems with breathing it will be noted as COVID-19 instead some other disease or just common pneumonia/bronchitis

Just leaving this here...

Posted

Another police shooting of a black man. Obviously, details are still preliminary as this only happen a few hours ago, but the video circulated raises a lot of questions. I’m going to post the video in a spoiler below, so that you can see the incident from a primary source. This is video is of a real life police shooting that could very well be fatal, so please do not open the spoiler if you’re not comfortable seeing that (or if gun violence is a trauma trigger for you). 

Spoiler

Julian Castro isn’t the who filmed the video for record. The video does appear to be confirmed as authentic, since police have confirmed a man was shot.

Again: warning gun violence shown.

I’m always careful about how I handle information that comes out following any sort of newsworthy event. You to be careful that the facts are being reported carefully and accurately. Often times I prefer to wait a few hours (or even a day) before making an effort to read all the facts and form an opinion. I will wait for more information to come before forming my final opinion, but here is my reaction to that video.

This is case is a different from the murder of George Floyd. The man who was shot did not appear to be fully complaint with police. That said, I still don’t believe the shooting was justified. If an officer is close enough to grab a man’s shirt and hold a gun to his back before shooting; he is capable of using non-lethal methods to detain the man. The shooting seems pretty heinous being as I feel officers had multiple opportunities to apprehend the man. It’s also ridiculous that an officer would feel the need to shoot a man 7 (that’s the number being reported) times in the back. I get that officers have to deal with dangerous situations from time to time, but it seems utterly ridiculous that they had to resort to lethal methods here. Honestly, those officers attacked like they placed zero value on that man’s life, and that is unacceptable. Like I said, I’ll wait for more facts to emerge before I make my full judgement on the matter, but I am outraged by this video. Enough is enough.

Posted

There’s some (questionable, at best) U.S. media throwing around Kin Jong Un coma rumors again. As our resident North Korea expert, can you provide any info @Griff88?

Posted

Canada ❤️

Tweet is a play on our State Anthem “I Love You, California.”

Posted

Our oldest state park, filled with 100s of massive ancient Redwood trees, has been completely torched by the wildfires :cry:

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted
34 minutes ago, hckosice said:

The Slovak Republic, through its official representation in Brussels, handed over to the Belgian authorities a severe verbal note

Oh fuck! How will they ever recover from that. :p