website statistics
7 minutes ago, rybak said:

What they are doing in Sanremo? Instead performing the presenters are promoting the Cortina Olympics and some success of Italian athletes :lol: 

Yeah, it was announced months ago that they would reveal the potential logos for Milano-Cortina 2026 during Sanremo.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

WandaVision finale fell a little flat for me. Episodes 1-7 were some of the best Marvel content so far in my opinion, but episode 8 felt kind of out of place, and episode 9 kind of underdeveloped to me. Episode 8 was actually very good, it might have just been better as a stand alone film or special. All in all, good show that gets me excited for the rest of Phase 4.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

[OFF TOPIC] Music Thread
Posted

I’d never heard of this song before, but what a powerful, powerful song.

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread
Posted
13 minutes ago, konig said:

Biden orders an atack on Syria.....well, only a month and they start attaking another country again........but Trump was the dangerous :p.

Im not talking about its is or not justified but was common the read that Trump "will start a war" and he neved did.......

You say this like Trump didn’t order bombings though, and he did. 

[OFF TOPIC] Eurovision Song Contest 2021
Posted

The video for Germany is fun. I didn’t like the song at first, but it’s growing a little on me. The on-stage performance could be fun based off what they did for the music video.

Posted
17 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Corrupt & incompetent Democrats? How on Earth is that possible? Only Republicans are corrupt & incompetent after all 

As someone living in California, I can verify that corruption and incompetence isn’t limited to one party or the other. It’s very present in both. That’s why I endorse neither.

Posted
8 minutes ago, rybak said:

Meanwhile Senhit from :SMR postpones reveal of her song from 23rd February to March 8th.

Understandable. I’d imagine it’s difficult to come up with a topic/theme that tops necrophilia and orgies :p

Posted

Well, I for one, can’t wait to see Finland flip off a bunch of unsuspecting Europeans :p

If there’s a US broadcaster they will have to blur/censor the middle fingers (every time) or pay one (or more) FCC fines

I actually think that song is a good dark horse for victory. It just seems, to me, like one of those songs that will do surprisingly well.

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread
Posted

“Please Stand By” is joining “very concerned” among the phrases I have grown to hate :p

Spoiler

Also, it’s been Agatha All Along ?

That was like the least shocking reveal so far, but the execution was 10/10

[OFF TOPIC] Language Thread
Posted

@OlympicIRL Apparently I should have a funky “r” as well. Perhaps the “s” you noticed is related to that in some way.

Posted
29 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

I did a quick re-listen of your last podcast to see what I could pick up on as “notheen” came to mind straight away :d

I just know you have a very clear accent and you pronounce most sounds really clearly. 
You pronounce the “s” sound very clearly at the beginning and at the end of words. Almost like a double “ss” if that makes sense. On the other hand you don’t stress vowel sounds too much.

And one word I noticed a difference in how I pronounce the word was “digress”. You said it like dig as in to dig a hole, whereas I pronounce it as die :d But I “die-gress”.

And that is my totally amateur take on your accent. You could have more fun analysing mine and trying to understand it :d 

Yeah, I definitely have the “een.”

Huh, I had no clue about the hard “s” sound. I’ll have to listen to some other accents and see if I notice a difference. 

I would also normally say “die-gress” as well, so that might have just been a flub :facepalm:

Thanks for your thoughts though. Now I have some things “interesteen” things to research :d

Posted

Wired’s been doing a fun series on American English dialects/accents. They haven’t talked about California much yet, but they’ve covered the East, South, Midwest, and Great Lakes pretty well.

Part 1:

Part 2:

For those of you who have heard me speak on the podcast, is there anything about my English that stands out, or sounds different? Maybe @OlympicIRL could provide some insight here. I’m curious since I obviously have no way of knowing. I do definitely say “ing” as “een” like he points out that those west of the Rockies do at the end of part 2. 

Posted
On 19/02/2021 at 18:55, Monzanator said:

Texas, New York and California are three states that are like countries within a country IMO. No politician from any of these states cares a damn thing about USA but only about the state they live in. Senator from Texas doesn't care about California? Geez, like that's old news. What happened with the idea California would be better off leaving USA and forming an independent Republic? :p I seem to recall you were on board with that solution?

Which is why I think it makes sense to call Cruz out, like I originally did. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Must be due to his Cuban roots. Americans still have a heavy anti-Cuban bias IMO.

It has more to do with Cruz being a giant asshole. 

He voted against emergency aid for states affected by Hurricane Sandy because that storm only affected “blue” states.

He also voted against giving aid to California during our struggles with wildfires. 

He was also one of the Senators who objected to the certification of the election of Joe Biden based on unfounded claims about election fraud.

That’s just the tip of the iceberg on Cruz. 

Posted
4 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Ted Cruz isn't the President unlike Joe fucking Biden. The 'blame everything on Trump' era is OVER! :dunno:

He is one of the two Senators from Texas though.

The problems Texas is facing at the moment has to with their energy policy. They are the only state with an energy grid independent of the other two national grids. Their grid was deregulated and privatized.

Cruz should be in his home state doing his best to care for the people he represents, instead he tried to skip town on a flight to Cancun.