website statistics

T20 is always unpredictable and most matches are close. A lower ranked team could easily defeat a higher ranked side. With possibly 8 quota places on offer, it won’t guarantee any of the top sides a place and each will need to earn their places. I wont be surprised if one of the big teams fail to qualify and one of the smaller cricketing nation makes it. 
I get er reason for having multiple quota places available at the final qualifying but then again it still doesn’t guarantee :IND / :AUS or both . Could easily be :PAK / :BAN or even :BAR / :JAM / :ZIM taking their places. 
Another way could be as suggested before , let the host take the quota of that confederation and that will free up an additional quota place at the final qualifier. 

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Dragon said:

I've gone for this.

#1 Hosts (Providing they meet a certain standard, maybe top 30 in the world?)

#2 World Champions

#3 Winners of Asian qualifying tournament

#4 Winners of Oceanian qualifier

#5 Winners of joint Euro-Africa qualifier

#6 Winners of Pan-American qualifier

#7 and #8 Finalists in last chance global qualifier

That is an excellent distribution of quota places except I would add 1 more quota place to Asia and reduce 1 from last chance global qualifier . :yes

Edited by Roamingrover86

36 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Sure, and also Bridge, I would love to have Bridge at the Olympics.. let say instead of Fencing, imagine all the saved quotas :d

Who is for ? let start a petition :p

We have Bridge in the Asian games with events  in pairs & teams : men’s , women’s & mixed category.  
:IND actually won 1  🥇 & 2 🥉 at the last asian games. 
I am all in for Bridge :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Dragon said:

So, basically there is some hard bargaining going on between both sides & no mutual agreement yet! 

10 minutes ago, Noorderling29 said:

If it’s variety we are looking for, there must be alternatives that easier to follow than Cricket.

Re: Breaking. I watched the finals of the European Games, and I did not have a clue how the battles were going. 

There you go, you got a sport(if at all it can be called a sport) in Olympics which most people haven’t got a clue about, including myself. 
I am not sure we would be even discussing Breaking if it was not part of the Olympics programme . 
Cricket in its new format (T20) will get a lot of traction , if included in the Olympics. 
Am not a Cricket fan but if given the choice I would much rather watch a T20 match of Cricket than a breaking session. 
Apart from the revenue it will generate for IOC & LOC.  It will also help the sport become truly global with more countries taking the sport seriously. 
Well we will find out in 4 days time , if Cricket is included or not. But if USA wants to develop a cricket league in their country , Cricket inclusion will make sense for LA LOC . 

Removing men’s football for either Beach soccer or Futsal will be the right thing to do. Men’s football is effectively an U23 competition . Removing it will not only free up quota places but will also bring down the costs substantially. 
Futsal will be a great addition and highly entertaining too. 
Also with the increase popularity in the women’s game and professionalism it wont be long before it becomes an U23 competition too. 

18 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Can I ask, as a cricket fan, what you would argue that T20 would bring to the Olympics? At the moment, the only argument I've seen for its inclusion is the increased revenue from broadcast rights in India. 

2 things , 

Firstly as you correctly perceive, In this hard financial times I would argue it is IOC who needs Cricket in olympic programme more  than Cricket/ICC trying to get into the olympics, as Cricket is already an established sports with good financial backing. 
Secondly, the game which was quiet limited is now spreading to every corner. It has 115 member associations and counting, the T20 format is exciting and appealing to youths . I would argue it has a far better reach than say Handball/ water polo where the sport is limited to same few nations , where is the global appeal in those sports?? 
If you talk about quotas in olympics I personally feel there are way too many quotas in swimming but that is a different issue. 
Oh & finally! Am not a cricket fan , but I want Cricket in the olympics programme for it will revolutionise olympics sports broadcast and appeal to the general wider Indian audience. Perhaps it is the push that our sports needs to reach the next level in olympics and challenge the big boys of olympic sports! 

34 minutes ago, hckošice said:

I admit, I have zero idea about cricket

(zero and half let say about field hockey - I really tried to watch it, trust me, but did not appeal me, sorry found it extremely slow, messy and incredibly unnecessarily long (both the pitch and the play time) to my taste)

the only thing I noticed about Cricket is the crazy long amount of time needed for a game, 

Yes, I know, I can imagine viewers in India, where the sport is super popular will not have problem to watch it.. I just doubt it will be the same in the other parts of the world though... Personally I would even prefer more that Kabadi thing that have more Olympic potential to attract attention worldwidely than ... cricket.

You are ill informed or like you said you have very little knowledge about the game.

Only the T20 format is being considered for inclusion. 
A match usually takes 2hr 30 mins to 3hrs which isn’t that long. 
These matches are almost always close ones and are highly entertaining. 
I can understand where you are coming from, as for me ICE-Hockey is boring and irrelevant, but that is mainly because I don’t follow the sport or have so little knowledge about the game. 
If Cricket does get included in the programme it will likely stay for Brisbane 2032 & possibly thereafter. 
I do agree, make it a 8-12 team tournament each gender rather than 5. 
How IOC does quota balancing or swapping is another thing. 
It looks increasingly likely weightlifting will give away . I hope not. 

16 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Multiple media outlets in UK reporting that T20 cricket is "very likely" to feature on the 2028 Olympic programme. With the format being a pool of 5 teams for both men and women. 

Qualification would be based on world rankings so would include :IND:NZL:PAK:RSA and :GBR for men and :IND:NZL:AUS:RSA and :GBR for women (always assuming Scottish cricket don't raise any stupid objections) If they reserve spot for :USA as home nation, then :RSA would lose out in both cases.

It looks like this is purely being driven by money - if cricket is included, the value of broadcast rights in India could increase to 10 times their current value - but it would eat up about 110 athlete quotas.

Given it has to be a pretty safe bet that baseball/softball is also going to return to the programme and that is going to require around 230 athlete quotas, it begs the questions, where do these 340 quotas come from? 

Looking at the Paris quota breakdown, for the non-core sports (breaking, skateboarding, sport climbing and surfing), given USA will be expecting to medal in skateboarding and surfing, I can't see them being dropped. Likewise, I think sport climbing is becoming established in the programme so would be unlikely to be dropped. This means the only sport not likely to return in Los Angeles is breaking but that only frees up 36 quotas. Boxing, Weightlifting and Modern Pentathlon aren't officially on the schedule yet so you'd have to assume that the quotas will come from those 3 sports. Modern pentathlon probably joins breaking as a goner - freeing up another 72 quotas but that would still leave 200 short. 

Losing 23 individual medal events to be replaced by 4 team medals would seem to be a bit extreme.

Various news outlets in India are reporting the same. They expect Cricket (T20 version) to be in the programme for LA 2028 games.

what more, if Cricket does get a spot in LA programme it will certainly be in Brisbane 2032 , with cricket being quite popular in Australia.