website statistics
1 hour ago, Illya said:

I don't understand why Ukrainian Danylo Bosniuk was excluded from all rankings, he was on qualifying position and then just disapper 

According to one of our sports media, the reason for Bosniuk's sudden disappearing from the Olympic ranking is due to a breach of game manipulation. In other other words, match-fixing.

"BWF can confirm that Danylo Bosniuk of Ukraine has been provisionally suspended under BWF rules in relation to potential breaches of the Competition Manipulation Prevention Code. As this is an ongoing investigation, it will not be commented on further, the association writes to TV 2 Sport. According to TV 2 Sports' information, it is not directly about match-fixing in the form of betting on own his matches, but that Bosniuk has generally played on badminton matches, which is strictly prohibited". 

The full article is linked. Unfortunately only in Danish:

https://sport.tv2.dk/badminton/2024-04-29-ukrainer-fjernet-fra-alle-ranglister-mister-ogsaa-sin-ol-plads

Edited by Wumo

CELCOM AXIATA Malaysia Open 2021 scheduled for 25-30 May has been postponed. BWF confirms that the tournament will no longer take place in the Olympic qualifying window. New tournament dates will be confirmed at a later date.

https://bwfworldtour.bwfbadminton.com/news-single/2021/05/07/celcom-axiata-malaysia-open-2021-postponed/

BWF has updated its Olympic qualification regulations:

https://olympics.bwfbadminton.com/news-single/2020/05/27/bwf-announces-updated-olympic-and-paralympic-qualifying-regulations/

• All ranking points earned at tournaments completed during the original Olympic qualification period will be maintained under the Race to Tokyo ranking list.
  • An extended Olympic qualification period will be introduced from Week 1-17 in 2021 and includes the select number of tournaments that were postponed, cancelled or suspended due to COVID-19.
  • These eligible tournaments within the new qualifying period must be completed by Week 17 in 2021.
  • Tournaments rescheduled for the end of 2020 outlined in the revamped BWF Tournament Calendar 2020 released last week will not count towards qualification. Only the 2021 editions of each tournament.
  • Such eligible tournaments within this new qualifying period should preferably take place in the same corresponding week from 2020 to 2021.
  • If this is not possible, BWF will allow sanctioning on another date within Week 1-17 in 2021 subject to approval.
  • Players from China and Hong Kong China will be eligible to earn points from the 2021 Badminton Asia Team Championships as representatives from those Member Associations were not able to participate in the 2020 Badminton Asia Team Championships in Manila due to COVID-19 travel restrictions imposed on athletes from those nations and territories by the Government of the Philippines.
  • This approach has only been implemented for this singular team tournament impacted by the COVID-19 situation as no other team tournaments are included in the extended Olympic qualification period. However, players are offered a range of individual tournaments to enter.

A revised BWF Tournament Calendar 2021 with the actual dates for these eligible tournaments will be revealed later.

Badminton 2020 Discussion Thread
Posted (edited)

The Badminton World Federation (BWF) can confirm men’s singles world No.1 Kento Momota was involved in a motor vehicle accident in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, on Monday morning. 

Momota sustained multiple laceration wounds to the face plus right maxillary sinus and nasal bone fracture and was taken to Putrajaya Hospital for treatment. He is in a stable condition.

The driver of the vehicle was killed. 

Three others were involved – Japan team assistant coach, Hirayama Yu; team physiotherapist Morimoto Akifumi; and Hawkeye system operator, William Thomas.

All three are in a stable condition. A BWF manager has been at the hospital throughout the morning to provide assistance to all parties involved.

https://bwfbadminton.com/news-single/2020/01/13/bwf-statement-on-incident-involving-kento-momota/

Edited by Wumo

Badminton 2019 Discussion Thread
Posted (edited)

:THA Ratchanok Intanon has been cleared by BWF for a doping violation committed earlier this year. It's the second time in Intanon's career she has been cleared for a violation of BWF's Anti-Doping Regulations. 

https://corporate.bwfbadminton.com/news-single/2019/10/10/intanon-cleared-by-panel/

Edited by Wumo

Just now, up and down said:

There are lots of last minute withdrawals from playing in Basel World Championship 2019. Will there be any replacement of players for those players who have withdrawn from playing? Or will it just be a walkover match? Any idea?

There will be no replacements. If your opponent withdrew, it's a walkover. I already know that :DEN Jan Ø Jørgensen is through to the second round because :FRA Brice Leverdez has withdrawn. 

@Griff88

Okay, a twist in the "re-draw case". According to the Danish media, TV 2 SPORT, Kate Foo Kune, who was removed from the draw, has been suspended from all badminton since July due to an ongoing doping case. :yikes: 

As a result, BWF initially conducted a draw with a player who themselves had suspended. :facepalm:

According to several sources close to Kate Foo Kune, both the A and B test have turned out to be positive.

http://sport.tv2.dk/badminton/2019-08-09-dopingsag-skyld-i-vm-kaos-suspenderet-spiller-var-med-i-lodtraekningen (in Danish)

Just now, Griff88 said:

"mistakenly been included"

Okay that part. The first part  of my post is basically just a copy/paste of the official statement from BWF. 

BWF's statement:

"The Badminton World Federation (BWF) has conducted a re-draw of the women’s singles category at the TOTAL BWF World Championships 2019 in Basel, Switzerland.

It was determined a player had mistakenly been included in the women’s singles entry list and the BWF has subsequently adjusted the entry list and conducted a re-draw".

https://bwfworldchampionships.bwfbadminton.com/news-single/2019/08/09/womens-singles-re-draw-total-bwf-world-championships-2019/

If you say that her visa was rejected, why would BWF not say that, instead of say what they did?  

BWF has conducted a re-draw of the Women’s Singles because a player had mistakenly been included in the women’s singles entry list and the BWF has subsequently adjusted the entry list and conducted a re-draw.

BWF :facepalm:

Here is the new draw for Women's Singles:

https://bwf.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/draw.aspx?id=F4F75B1C-E72D-4248-865F-8EC38C06F7CB&draw=13

15 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

the European games account for the world ranking qualifier for the games?

Yes, it does. 

From an article:

"This time, badminton players are able to collect valuable world ranking points for the 2020 Olympics at the European Games".

http://www.badmintoneurope.com/cms/default.aspx?clubid=4685&cmsid=239&pageid=5381&m=8182470

Edited by wumo26

Posted (edited)

Yes the MS match is so exciting. Viktor Axelsen has really improved his MS skills a lot. Somehow the third set Viktor Axelsen stamina has gone down a bit and he lose.

His stamina probably went down because he's still a bit affected by his injury and the long break. 

Edited by wumo26

Posted

@wumo26

I am actually referring to the MS match of Viktor Axelsen. He has really improved a lot and he could give Kento Momota a tough fight now for sure. Looks to be an exciting MS match in the finals.

Okay.

Indeed it looks like. :)

Posted

Did you somehow realized that there is an odd one out player in the finals with not seeded and no ranking?

What do you mean?

@wumo26

I guess it will be very difficult to find a XD partner for Mathias right? So few female players to choose from right?

Yes it will. I'm now also worried about our chances in XD...

Posted

I head that it is very lacking of woman players in Denmark right?

Yes, the pool of talents in Danish women's badminton is not big. 

@wumo26

Did you watch the All England 2019 matches yesterday? What attracted you most? What is so special about the All England 2019 finals?

I haven't watch all of the games yet. It was a crowded sports day for me yesterday. I have seen Victor's match against Kento. He played very well, but he did make some mistakes which will cost against the world's number 1.  Though he played his best tournament in a long time, so I'm positive towards the upcoming WCH, if he can avoid any injuries of course. 

A match I'm looking forward to watch from yesterday's finals is the Men's Doubles. By what I have read, it was an impressive victory for Ahsan/Setiawan, especially because of Setiawan's injury. 

I can comment on this year's finals, as I have written, but All-England is always something special because of its long history. All-England is badminton's equivalent of Wimbledon in Tennis. 

Posted

Who will be Mathias new XD partner? Any idea?

I haven't heard anything officially. Sara Thygesen is our best female doubles player, but she plays with Nohr. Sara also doesn't have the experience like Christinna, and Mathias probably needs someone with international experience, which will be difficult to find. 

Posted

Why this sudden decision?

She says it's a combination of lack of motivation, and that she and Kamilla Rytter Juhl became parents on January 5th.

- I need to be able to feel a spark inside my stomach when I go to training. It is difficult without it when I have been used to have it for many years and felt that I could always provide my absolute best. I have not been on top of my game lately, says Christinna Pedersen.

- After Molly (her daughter) has appeared, things have of course changed, and Kamilla and I have talked much about this new situation. It wasn't what was supposed to stop my badminton career.

- But everything put together makes me feel like a miss the last motivation to play. 

@wumo26

So both Christinna and Kamilla no more playing badminton? Both wanted to retire from playing forever?

They will play together in the Danish badminton league, but they will not play international tournaments or be part of the national team.

So no more World Tour, WCH or Olympics.

@wumo26

So Mathias is without a XD partner? How is he going to play his XD matches?

Yes he is. Badminton Denmark is looking for a new partner for Mathias, so the plan is to find a new partner for Mathias and to qualify for Tokyo. 

Posted
1 minute ago, up and down said:

So things are still very messy till now is it?

Yeah it is. But with the new agreement between BD and the players, and when the whole drama about the new partnerships in the MD is over, Danish badminton can finally focus on the WCH and the qualication to Tokyo 2020. I'm still positve about the next couple years towards Tokyo 2020 for Danish badminton. 

8 minutes ago, up and down said:

What about Nicholas Nohr and Sara Thygesen? Their XD partnership split as well?

@wumo26

Sara has been injured, but they will play All-England together. 

https://bwf.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/draw.aspx?id=035C09CF-D0E7-47DB-A774-8634B0CC5E7B&draw=5

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, up and down said:

You are right. Both of them are old and their partnership do not seem to make them move forward. Hence a change of partnership could be good. But is this two newly formed MD partnership are for the long term planning?

Well, Boe and Mogensen are not young, so the new partneships will probably only last to Tokyo 2020. Boe and Mogensen will probably retire after that. 

The Olympics are the most important thing for Badminton players and national associations. The players and BD  think both pairs needed to try something new to improve their results. 

27 minutes ago, up and down said:

@wumo26

Well I can smell that something has gone rotten inside Denmark badminton. What I mean is the badminton association is very problematic. I hope the association can sort things out well with the players' under them.

What about Mads / Mads? Both of them just don't mind splitting?

There has certainly been a lot of drama in Danish badminton these last months. 

Conrad has commented on this a couple of days ago:

Question from the journalist:

In the fall you went from a long-standing partnership. There seemed to be some issues and now you are back in a new partnership. What do you think about all the things going on right now in the MD?

Conrad's answer:

- It's actually what I've been good at keeping myself out of. But there has been more at stake than I have been aware of. I am now going back to a life with the people I appreciate training with and being around. We must find out the small things that had to be between us and our former partners. I have no outstanding with Kolding on the personal level, but we might need to sit together and have it all talked through. For me it was the right decision when I took a break.

Question from the journalist:

Why didn't you start up with Kolding again? After all, you have experience together and know each other?

Conrad's answer:

- I think we both need to try something new. I can feel that I need to try something new. But in addition, I don't really have so many comments on it. I have to talk to Kolding myself under four eyes when I get home.

Kolding has yet to say anything. It seems that Kolding don't quite understand the decision, but of course, it's difficult to say what it's going on between the two of them. 

Edited by wumo26

Posted
4 minutes ago, up and down said:

Thank you very much for your reply. So now both go back to National team? Boe and Mo? So if like this why both of them don't want to partner together for MD tournaments?

This is what Boe has said about the decision to split;

- It is a long marriage that ends here. I think we still have very much to offer in badminton, but you do not have to be Edison to see that the result the last half year or so has not gone very well.

- We have had good and positive talks about what has to happen, and we have tried to figure out a solution. We think something has been lacking, and therefore, it will probably be the best option to try something new. 

- We have had a good dialogue about it, and we partly agree, I would say. Of course this is not easy for any of us. It's an extremely difficult decision and a tough talk, but I believe it's the best for both of us, and that it can breathe more motivation and life into our careers, says Mathias Boe.

Mogensen has not comment on their decision. 

Lastly, Boe says they are still friends outside the court, but as described above, their play doesn't work anymore and they can't seem to develop it. 

Posted
12 minutes ago, up and down said:

@wumo26

So it is already confirmed right? Mathias Boe and Carsten Mogensen partnership set to be split up after All England right? Then both will be playing with different partners right?

What is the real reason behind the split?

Then Mads Pieler Kolding and Mads Conrad Petersen also split right?

So Mathias Boe will partner Mads Conrad Petersen as the independent MD player while Carsten Mogensen will partner Mads Pieler Kolding right?

What do you think? Will this new partnership work out?

Seems like under this new partnership work out? Now we have 2 front court players playing together and also 2 back court players playing together. Will it actually work out during tournament time?

It has all been confirmed.

The real reason why Boe and Mogensen split is probably because Mogensen wants to be part of the national team. Before he split with Boe, they were not part of the NT, and the chance of being selected for the WCH and Olympics were small.  

The weird part is that Boe has now decided to go back to Denmark and be part of the NT again. Both pairs are now part of the NT.

The NT coach says both pairs are temporary until summer this year. In the summer they will decide if the new partnerships work. 

Boe/Conrad played together in Thomas Cup, which worked quite good, so the NT is hopeful and positive about this partnership. 

Mogensen/Kolding is more questionable. They played together back in 2012, I think, and won a tournament. Though, it's the only time they have played together, so we just have to wait and see how it goes.

I think both partnerships can work. Boe/Conrad has showed they can play together, so hopefully they will continue to develop their play. 

Mogensen/Kolding can be a powerful pair. Kolding has a strong smash and he will probably be the dominant back court player.  Mogensen will likely be the only player of the two who will go front court, but I think we will see much more back court play from this pair. 

My fingers are crossed for these new partrnerships. Hopefully both will work out and Denmark will have two or three strong MD.