website statistics
7 minutes ago, Near said:

Canada in 2012 was DQed due to stepping on the line on a bend. It's different than stepping on a straight.

Agree.  But it's the rule, apparently.  I remember reading about it a lot in 2012.  Any lane violation is an automatic DQ.  It's fine, though, I would be fine if Japan doesn't get DQed.  

2 minutes ago, juddy96 said:

I don't think anyone should be DQ'd in that position

Absolutely.  But if you DQ one country, you have to hold up that rule on other countries.  I don't like the rule either, but it's about fairness.  But whatever, they get bronze apparently anyway.  Until the USA appeals and they say they can re-run the race and get the gold.  

2 hours ago, bestmen said:

i have watched the scene in live :the Canadian hit the Japanese with the elbow

the bronze is for Japan

Just like driving, if you're the one behind it's your responsibility not to hit the guy in front of you.  In any case, it was pretty clear the Japanese guy hit him on purpose.  

With the decision in the replay last night and now this, no one can say the judging is fair.  I said last night that I thought the re-race was the best solution but it wouldn't have been done for any other country.  They just proved that.  Absolute farce.  

1 minute ago, OlympicIRL said:

Read my last comment, 3 posts up. I discovered there is a more "serious" bump in question which I didn't see so like I said in my previous comment, I can't comment on it. I hope justice is served whatever :)

No problem.  Obviously I'm biased.  ;)

41 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

I honestly thought it was the Canadian who bumped into Arai. Either way, it wasn'tintentional on either part.

Really?  It seems pretty clear on every angle that Arai intentionally leans into Dunfee, from behind.  In any event, it was Arai who was behind Dunfee so it's his responsibility to stay out of the way.  I'm not sure on the rules, so I'm not saying anything definitive.  But from my (biased) perspective, it was pretty clearly intentional on Arai.  

1 minute ago, Andry84 said:

Arai should not be DSQ but Tallent run the last 10 km, it's impossible he finished this race.

It was a much more malicious and intentional bump than the Brazilians yesterday.  But we all know there are some rules for some countries, and other rules for other countries.  

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

At this point in the race, yes, of course :p 

Though there's still the hope that Arai has "blown himself up" trying to stay with Toth and might drop back now..who knows..

Yeah, Arai seems to be falling back.  There may be a race for bronze.  

2 minutes ago, Agger said:

By the way. Sara's medal is our 13th. That is a tied 2nd place all-time. Only 1948 was better when it comes to the amount of medal (we're tied with 1920).

When I started really following sports (more than just football and handball), I thought we would never get close to the amounts from the old days. I'm extremely proud to be able to follow this danish team, where we get this much medals even though some of our biggest medal chances didn't make it.

That's great!  Congratulations, Denmark!  

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Just saw the replays of the 4x100m heats, I'm turning around on the USA decision being unfair and think it's more and more fair, but f*ck it, our athletics union was still asleep :facepalm:

The exchange from Jamile Samuel to Dafne Schippers was screwed because one of the Ghanese athletes nearly pushed Samuel out of her lane (and stepped way inside the Dutch lane) :facepalm:

Seeing as USA's protest was awarded, a Dutch protest would certainly have been awarded as well, but no, our union didn't pay attention and didn't see it :lol:

As I said earlier, I think it was the least worst decision.  But there's no way the same thing would have been granted to any other country (except maybe, maaaaaaybe Jamaica).  I'm just glad Canada beat the Chinese by a thousandth of a second, otherwise I'd be up in arms right now.  

8 minutes ago, dcro said:

This will probably be the first race in Olympic history with only one participant at the start. I say probably because we can't know all the crazy situations that happened in early Olympics :lol:

Don't know about athletics, but don't forget about Eddie the Eel in 2000.  

Canadian TV is interviewing an IIAF official.  He was asked if the decision to let USA run again would have been made for anyone else: "Of course!".  I could have sworn his nose grew a few centimeters right after.  

Anyway, China has launched an appeal about the decision.  The Canadian guy asked if there is any sympathy for them, and the IIAF guy seemed almost bothered by the question.