Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

Vojthas

[POLL] Would you like E-Sports to be contested at the Olympic Games?

Would you like E-Sports to be contested at the Olympic Games?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like E-Sports to be contested at the Olympic Games?

• Yes, the Olympic Movement cannot ignore the voice of youth
    • No, it's against the tradition of sport

Rdbc    2

As probably the youngest here and someone who follows eSports, I was expecting to see this reaction :d

De_Gambassi    87
Il y a 2 heures , heywoodu a déclaré:

I don't think shooting for example is so much more physically demanding, I mean, judging by the sizes of quite a lot of the competitors. By which I'm not saying shooting is not demanding, I'm saying e-sports is a lot more physically demanding than most people think. Not allowing e-sports simply because "there's no physical activity" only shows one doesn't really have a clue (although that does sound perfectly like what the IOC might do then :p ),

It is demanding, just like any "mind sport" is. Yet, it doesn't recquire any athletics skills.

Shooting, neither, but it is an historic olympic sport, been there since the beginiing. IMHO, it's enough to warrant some kind of historic exemption to this rule.

I wouldn't cry neither if the IOC was to droping shooting from the progam anyway.

dcro    965

Archery is a form of shooting that doesn't get bashed here. :p

De_Gambassi    87
il y a 7 minutes, dcro a déclaré:

Archery is a form of shooting that doesn't get bashed here. :p

It's outdoor, archers look relatively fit - mostly - (Brady :bye:), it recquires some strenght...

There always will be some kind of grey zone anyway (archery, golf...), but a line need to be drawned somewhere.

dcro    965
6 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

It's outdoor, archers look relatively fit - mostly - (Brady :bye:), it recquires some strenght...

There always will be some kind of grey zone anyway (archery, golf...), but a line need to be drawned somewhere.

Shooters are as equally fit as archers... :dunno:

Vojthas    16

Shooters also need strength - do you know what recoil is? ;) And shotgun shooters have to have more reflex and concentration, as they are shooting to the moving target.

• Like 1

De_Gambassi    87
il y a 11 minutes, Vojthas a déclaré:

Shooters also need strength - do you know what recoil is?

Recoil and 10m air pistol ?

Citation

And shotgun shooters have to have more reflex and concentration, as they are shooting to the moving target.

Exactly the kind of arguments that an "e-sport" (or poker, or billard, or whatever) fan would would use for an olympic inclusion. Something you apparently were against. Jeez....

Edited by De_Gambassi

dcro    965
11 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Exactly the kind of arguments that an "e-sport" (or poker, or billard, or whatever) fan would would use for an olympic inclusion. Something you apparently were against. Jeez....

Since when billiard and poker players need quick reflexes?

And last time I checked computer mouse didn't weigh 4 kilos...

De_Gambassi    87
il y a 35 minutes, dcro a déclaré:

Since when billiard and poker players need quick reflexes?

And last time I checked computer mouse didn't weigh 4 kilos...

My god, you're such an happy tedious follow....

Drop the part between () then, the point remains @Vojthas was arguing for shooting using the exact same words an e-sport fan would argue. The irony.

My only point: shooting  is used by the various 'sports' that recquires little to no athletic skills (e-sport, poker, bridge, billard, pétanque, etc.) as an exemple why they they souldn't be left out from the olympics for this reason alone. Something that couldn't have been better highlighted by @Vojthas comment

IMHO, this is an issue that should be resolved by the IOC, either by cutting the sport from the Olympics or by singling out shooting as some kind of an historic exception that no oher 'sports' should look for as an exemple.

Anyone could disagree with that, but FFS, don't single out a part of a sentance just to make a shitty argument.

Edited by De_Gambassi

rybak    193

1 against 19 so far, not surprise at all :d Big NO for E-sports in Olympics, it's good when you play in home or an game room, but OG? NEVER!

Vojthas    16
7 minutes ago, rybak said:

1 against 19 so far, not surprise at all :d Big NO for E-sports in Olympics, it's good when you play in home or an game room, but OG? NEVER!

Well, that looks as a solid base for organisation of protest demonstration in Lausanne in case IOC would be stupid enough to try to introduce it to the Olympics. I hope we won't have to.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.