website statistics

Alpine Skiing 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

Quick, tune in on CNN, unconfirmed reports of earthquakes in the Slovak city of Kosice :d 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, dcro said:

Do you have a map of that? :p

CNN isn't showing any maps, just headlining that the country of Melania Trump has now also brought forth a new World Cup-winning alpine skier. :mumble:

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, hckosice said:

haha good one :d I immagine you are happy with the result :d

Of course :d 

Nothing against Shiffrin, but someone shaking it up a bit is always good :p 

Hirscher, Vlhova win on penultimate day in Aspen

2436366_1200x.jpeg?rev=3

Marcel Hirscher won his third giant slalom race in a row to cap off the season where he held onto the discipline title despite advances from a number of competitors. In the come-from-behind race victory, Hirscher took down first-run leader Felix Neureuther – who ultimately finished second – by 0.53 seconds and third-place finisher Mathieu Faivre by 1.19 seconds with a spectacular second run. 

"You know today’s race was very tough but you’ve known me for quite a long time and for me every race is very serious and I want to win it if it is possible," said Hirscher, referencing both his competition and warm temperatures. "I’m super, super happy protecting the globe from Alexis Pinturault this season. It means a lot to me because at the beginning of the season he was unbelievably fast, so I proved myself to be pretty good during the season.”

With his podium finish, Faivre finished the season standings in second place and Pinturault, who failed to finish the second run, finished in third by a single point. 

In the ladies slalom, Petra Vlhova held onto her first-run lead to claim her first race victory in a season. Mikaela Shiffrin, who secured the slalom title last week, pushed hard in the second run but ultimately finished in second. Frida Hansdotter rounded out the race podium in third. With her result and Ilka Stuhec deciding not to start in the slalom race, Shiffrin also mathematically claimed the 2016-17 Overall title, the first big crystal globe of her career.

"It’s beautiful," noted Shiffrin. "I love racing at Aspen and I love racing in front of a home crowd. It was a good day." She has yet to fully process the accomplishment of the Overall title. "No, I don’t know if I’ll ever process [the Overall globe]. It’s been a goal and a dream of mine since I was five years old, and it’s really difficult to understand something that finally happens after 20 years."

Veronika Velez Zuzulova in second and Wendy Holdener in third completed the slalom standings podium. 

The ladies will race GS and the men slalom on the last day of World Cup Finals on Sunday. 

WCup_Mens_GS_Skiing_74077.jpg

Full Results Men and Women

2016/17 Mens Giant Slalom World Cup Final Ranking

2016/17 Womens Slalom World Cup Final Ranking

0006GNO5GRH437PY-C122-F4.jpg

Marcel Hirscher

1st Run

2nd Run

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2Q==

Petra Vlhova

1st Run

2nd Run

Italian GS podium sweep, Myhrer wins final slalom

1369801-gauche-droite-sofia-goggia-feder

On the final day of World Cup racing in the 2016/17 season, Federica Brignone led an Italian podium sweep in the GS – the first time the Italian women have done so in World Cup racing since 1996. She was joined on the podium by Sofia Goggia in second and Marta Bassino in third. With a fifth-place finish, Tessa Worley earned her career-first discipline globe, besting Mikaela Shiffrin by 85 points in the standings. 

“It was tough. Truly it was. I mean, I really wanted to ski with my heart, but my mind was always taking over sometimes. And in the second run, I knew I didn’t have a choice so I just went for it, kept it simple and I’m just really, really happy with the season. It wasn’t a dream! I mean, it’s true," said Worley with the globe in her hand. "I mean this season like I said it was a dream. Everything went so well. We worked really hard, but now I have it and the whole team has it, so I’m just really, really proud. There were some tough moments, but I made it, so I’m so happy."

Worley secured the first GS globe for a French woman since 1993. With her consistent podium results, Goggia rounded out the discipline standings podium in third. Brignone noted in the press conference that her ski technician was also the serviceman for Deborah Compagnoni when she led the 1996 sweep in Norway. 

In a repeat performance from last season's finals, Andre Myhrer of Sweden claimed victory in the last slalom of the year for his first podium finish since St. Moritz in 2016. Felix Neureuther skied a blistering second run to move from sixth into second place. Austria's Michael Matt held on for the final podium spot in third. Marcel Hirscher led after the first run but fell back to fourth place, still he collected his fourth career slalom globe. It capped off a career-best season for the Austrian technical ace with two World Championship titles, two discipline globes, and his sixth consecutive Overall title.

"It is amazing. You know, we are often thinking about it – how many years it will be possible to ski on this high level – but at the moment it’s a lot of fun," said Hirscher. “Well, I’m hoping for it [to get even better] because otherwise then it’s better to stop at the moment. But anyway, it will be a challenging summer for me and for the whole team to be in shape for next season."

The 2017/18 World Cup season is scheduled to begin in Soelden, Austria, on 28 October. 

3-50aa48517b475c73361dba159d1f167066d816

Full Results Men and Women

2016/17 Mens Slalom World Cup Final Ranking Here

2016/17 Mens World Cup Final Standing Here

Mens Nations Cup Final Standing Here

2016/17 Womens Giant Slalom World Cup Final Ranking Here

2016/17 Womens World Cup Final Standing Here

Womens Nations Cup Final Standing Here

Mixed Nations Cup Final Standing Here

Mens Slalom

last 6 Skiers of 2nd Run

Z