website statistics

Wrestling UWW African & Oceanian Olympic Games Qualifier 2021

Totallympics

looking at the Greco brackets, there is no direct elimination because there are max 6 wrestlers in each weight which means luck doesn't matter here and they have to actually beat the rest to qualify.

60: easy to say :ALG and :EGY. but TUN can do something. the MAR guy is also a former olympian but no chance really.

67: without Egypt who is already qualified I say :TUN and :ALG.

77: it will be between MAR, EGY and ALG. the Morocco guy is quite experienced but old, if he is fit I would say :MAR and :ALG

87: again between TUN, EGY and ALG. I say :ALG and :EGY

97: once again TUN, EGY and ALG. I pick :ALG and :TUN

130: :EGY is a sure thing. the other 3 are more or less in the same level I go with :TUN

no chance for other countries unless they have some naturalized wrestlers I'm not aware of.

I was taking a look at freestyle draws, I think nobody from Oceania will qualify. I'm something like 90% sure of that. last time they qualified 4 most because of some good naturalized wrestlers and pure luck in another weight. I don't think this is going to happen this year.

it's a bit harder for me to have a prediction because some of these wrestlers rarely participate outside of Africa. my knowledge is limited about them. but still most quotas will go to the usual suspects :d:EGY:TUN:ALG even though they are less dominant in freestyle, Nigeria will qualify some for sure and GBS :GBS has a very good chance at least in 3 weights.  :SEN also has a dream draw at 65. maybe slim chances for South Africa in men's freestyle and for Cameroon on the women's side. we also have only 3 wrestlers in the highest women's weight. maybe a slim chance for CIV here.

and :NGR Oborududu is indeed in the list, which means the Swedish girl is not officially disqualified yet. I think the Nigerian girl is good enough to finish in top 2. and I believe they will  come back here and give her quota to the 3rd girl in the ranking.

like most users here I also hope for some surprised to see new countries in the Games but I don't think that's realistic. the gap is too huge.

@Benolympique Keep an eye on the Namibian wrestler in 60kg. He hasn't lost to any Egyptian in the last 2 years. He beat today's Egyptian wrestler by 5-2, 2 years ago and lost to today's Algerian wrestler 3-4. So definitely not someone to be neglected. 

On a good day he can win the tournament and on a bad finish 3rd. 

Also 2 factors will be important 

1. Whether the wrestler had been infected with covid 19 recently 

2. Mental health of the wrestler during the pandemic time, whether they have overcome the stress or not .

These 2 factors became significant after the national women's trials in India where wrestlers who never made to national senior team won.