website statistics

Fencing FIE World Championships 2018

phelps

1 hour ago, phelps said:

mental & tactical masterpiece by Navarria...and finally at the age of 34 she gets her first individual medal at a major championship...

What made the difference in the final, in your opinion? it was an equal match for about 80% of its duration, then how did Mara manage to make the push?

2 ore fa, zob79 ha scritto:

What made the difference in the final, in your opinion? it was an equal match for about 80% of its duration, then how did Mara manage to make the push?

I think Mara was in a slightly better physical shape, which allowed her to be a little more reactive in the final stretch of the assault, being able to land some solo hits and force the double hits when she was in trouble, meanwhile Popescu couldn't do the same...

technically I also saw Popescu made a couple of beginners' mistakes not covering very well her feet (Navarria had 2 hits down there) and her left shoulder when trying to land her hits (and in fact Navarria was almost always ready to force the double hit by targeting that area)...

add these 2 aspects and you find the small difference between the 2 girls in today's match...

that's my point of view...but I'm not a technician, so, if someone (somehow really qualified) has more (or different) issues to explain and discuss, he/she's more than welcome...

Edited by phelps

2 hours ago, phelps said:

I think Mara was in a slightly better physical shape, which allowed her to be a little more reactive in the final stretch of the assault, being able to land some solo hits and force the double hits when she was in trouble, meanwhile Popescu couldn't do the same...

technically I also saw Popescu made a couple of beginners' mistakes not covering very well her feet (Navarria had 2 hits down there) and her left shoulder when trying to land her hits (and in fact Navarria was almost always ready to force the double hit by targeting that area)...

add these 2 aspects and you find the small difference between the 2 girls in today's match...

that's my point of view...but I'm not a technician, so, if someone (somehow really qualified) has more (or different) issues to explain and discuss, he/she's more than welcome...

That's also my opinion, maybe with a little more emphasis on the physical factor. Ana said, after the final, that her feet betrayed her in the last minute...

M epee semifinals:

Nishikin (UKR) – Ruben Limardo (VEN)

Borel (FRA) – Svichkar (UKR)

W foil semifinals:

Thibus (Fra) - Errigo (Ita)

Boubakri (Tun) - Volpi (Ita)

Thibus defeated the #1 favourite Deriglazova (15-14) in the quarterfinals.

Men's Épée

Bohdan Nikishyn :UKR UKR - VEN :VEN Rubén Limardo

Yannick Borel :FRA FRA - UKR :UKR Roman Svichkar

Women's Foil

Ysaora Thibus :FRA FRA - ITA :ITA Arianna Errigo

Inès Boubakri :TUN TUN - ITA :ITA Alice Volpi

No medal for Deriglazova.

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

WTF is happening in women's foil???

I just can't believe what I've seen so far...:yikes::facepalm:

at least Volpi is in the final (and Errigo didn't lose to any no name girl, even if the semifinal bout against Thibus was more than shocking...in a negative way, of course)...

Women's Individual Foil

Final Results:

Gold: Alice Volpi (ITA)

Silver: Ysaora Thibus (FRA)

Bronze: Arianna Errigo (ITA) & Ines Boubakri (TUN)

Semifinals:

Thibus b. Errigo 15-2

Volpi b. Boubakri 15-7

Gold Medal Match:

Volpi b. Thibus 15-12

Here is the Full Final Ranking (and Results) from Today's competition:

http://fie.org/competitions/2018/243/results/rank

Edited by phelps

Men's Individual Epee

Final Results:

Gold: Yannick Borel (FRA)

Silver: Ruben Limardo Gascon (VEN)

Bronze: Bogdan Nikishin (UKR) & Roman Svichkar (UKR)

Semifinals:

Limardo Gascon b. Nikishin 7-4

Borel b. Svichkar 15-11

Gold Medal Match:

Borel b. Limardo Gascon 15-4

Here is the Full Final Ranking (and Results) from Today's competition:

http://fie.org/competitions/2018/242/results/rank

Edited by phelps