website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread

bestmen

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I saw a video comparison of the epic 'Long live the King' line....in the new one it just looks like a little bitchslap followed by Simba looking as if his phone fell down the toilet instead of his dad falling to his death.

Well they made mega bucks on it here in the US. Disney only cares about money, and they made a lot, so they’ll be happy.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I’ve been watching “This Is Football” on amazon prime. I have mixed feelings about the series so far. It’s not super interesting, but there some very nice moments here and there. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright, so just finished binge watching the new Amazon series “Carnival Row”. I have no clue where to begin. My best explanation is this. If you’re looking for a show with the politics of Game Of Thrones, that’s also a Victorian and Imperial period piece, that’s also in a fantasy world with strange backstories and creatures like Game of Thrones/Harry Potter/Lord of Rings, where the plot is much like a Sherlock Holmes movie, and where the set looks like Sweenie Todd; then this is the show for you. Oh, did I also mention the show provides implied commentary on Racism, Sexism, Xenophobia, Discrimination, Hate Crime, Religious Extremism, Terrorism, Facism, Rule By Divine Right, Power Politics, and the “elite”. This show blew my mind. It’s so difficult to completely wrap your head around because of all the different stories and themes, but damn this is what we all wanted Game Of Thrones to be like. I mean there’s so, so, so much to talk about. I could probably spend months writing political, artistic, and critical commentary about the show. It’s still a bit early to decide how it will be received by everyone else, but damn. I highly recommend adding this to watchlist of shows. This 1st season (a 2nd seasons already been confirmed) is only 8 episodes and has a total run length of somehwhere around 7-7 1/2 hours. The cases great. The set design is great. The costuming is so good. The plot (which is most important to me as a writer and communications student) is pretty damn good. The political commentary is stirring (it works almost universally) and thought provoking. It can’t say enough good things about this show.

Thoughts anyone?

I’m a huge fan of satire and I use it quite often. However, I know that even in satire lines can be crossed. I’m excited to see this movie, but I really hope the satire is more obvious than normal so people don’t get a picture of Nazis as good guys. All that said, it looks freaking hilarious.