website statistics

Slalom Canoeing ECA European Championships 2021

George_D

Also, sports like triathlon and pentathlon can have two athletes per NOC because they only have two individual events, not four like Canoe Slalom. It really is that simple. You can bet that IOC likes slalom canoe much more than pentathlon, the former is far more entertaining to watch and I am sure its ratings during the Games are much higher. 

Multiple entries per NOC in slalom are not coming back... Ever. Deal with it.

And why should they? Just compare the results from Athens 2004 (the last time two entries per NOC were allowed), to Rio 2016. Limiting the number of entries per NOC quite literally allowed this sport to grow.

#banbestmen

1 hour ago, Vektor said:

The sprint version is using the same venue as rowing, it will never be removed. And slalom canoe is visually interesting, and it's actually gaining events with the extreme slalom. There's no reason to think that it's in any danger, a discipline was never removed for being too European, and it never will. 

which is a farce like breakdance (maybe even more than that)...:facepalm: :wall:

4 minutes ago, phelps said:

which is a farce like breakdance (maybe even more than that)...:facepalm: :wall:

From the little I have seen from it, it looks exciting and chaotic, which is probably what IOC wants more of at the Games.

I don't like extreme slalom for the same reason I don't really like short track, ski cross, snowboard cross and so on. Overtaking is nearly impossible (extreme slalom is an extreme case of this). And when it actually happens, 50% of the time it gets reversed/adjusted after the race. Ugh.

#banbestmen

23 minutes ago, phelps said:

I'd rather turn my TV off than watching something like that...:hairpull:

it's something good for those Japanese crazy TV shows like Takheshi's Castle...

You joke now, but I am sure IOC would like to have an event like American Ninja Warrior at the Games if there was an opportunity for it. These weird sport competitions attract more viewers than most traditional sport events. 

2 hours ago, Vektor said:

Also, sports like triathlon and pentathlon can have two athletes per NOC because they only have two individual events, not four like Canoe Slalom. It really is that simple. You can bet that IOC likes slalom canoe much more than pentathlon, the former is far more entertaining to watch and I am sure its ratings during the Games are much higher. 

Nope ...

At the 2016 Olympics triathlon had clearly more athletes than slalom canoeing despite only having half the number of events. Also slalom canoeing only had slightly more athletes than modern pentathlon. At the Tokyo Olympics it will be the same. The truth is the IOC randomly decides that in some sports a nation can have 3 athletes per event and in other sports they can‘t. There is absolutely no reason why the Netherlands or Norway can have 3 athletes per event in speed skating/cross-country while nations can’t even have 2 athletes per event in slalom canoeing where no nation is remotely as dominant as the Netherlands/Norway are in speed skating/cross-country.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.