website statistics

India National Thread

gvaisakh

1 minute ago, Partha_SG said:

I think Leander will always be a better player than Rohan.

I agree with you. Especially when it comes to playing for the country - he is a few notches above. That's why he is the most loved tennis player among fans, but also the most hated among the other Indian players. I'm pretty sure none of Sania and Rohan want to partner him. And if AITA and Leander want the opposite, something needs to be done. 

3 minutes ago, Suneet said:

I agree with you. Especially when it comes to playing for the country - he is a few notches above. That's why he is the most loved tennis player among fans, but also the most hated among the other Indian players. I'm pretty sure none of Sania and Rohan want to partner him. And if AITA and Leander want the opposite, something needs to be done. 

it shouldnt be upto what they like. I hope Rohan is not thinking of something like opting for bhupathi - should rohan get into top ten and get to choose his partner. this is not a amateur club tournament that you come out of retirement out of three years with a big paunch and get to go to the olympics just coz your pal (whose business interests you also manage) is in the top ten. men's doubles team has to be rohan and leander. in mixed doubles - if there is no chance of leander and sania pairing getting a quota -only then shouls there be a sania rohan pairing,

12 minutes ago, Partha_SG said:

it shouldnt be upto what they like. I hope Rohan is not thinking of something like opting for bhupathi - should rohan get into top ten and get to choose his partner. this is not a amateur club tournament that you come out of retirement out of three years with a big paunch and get to go to the olympics just coz your pal (whose business interests you also manage) is in the top ten. men's doubles team has to be rohan and leander. in mixed doubles - if there is no chance of leander and sania pairing getting a quota -only then shouls there be a sania rohan pairing,

Certainly that's not how it worked the last time. Things will most probably and unfortunately get dirty this time around as well.

Guys, Saurabh Sangvekar has got the OST timing in the Heats of 400m Free Style, he has also qualified for the finals. He got a timing of 3:57.69, Sajan Prakash has the National record of 3:57.44, let's hope he breaks it in the finals. Though I'm not sure why there are 10 participant's in the finals, has he qualified as a stand by? If any one can confirm that, would be great.

Japan open day 2
1- sandeep sajwal finish 16 among 56 in 50m breaststroke with timing of 28:46 (non qualication event).
2- saurab finish 26 among 76 swimmer with a timing of 3:57:69 cross B qualifications mark (q/f standard 3:58:51)
3- arun dsouza finish 22 among 80 swimmer in 100m fs with timing of 50:85(q/f standard A 48:99 B 50:70)
→ so 8th B qualification standard achieved by indian swimmer..

****2nd in 400 m fs ae sajan has already achieved B standard...

Tokyo - 2020

Go India Go

2 hours ago, Suneet said:

Certainly that's not how it worked the last time. Things will most probably and unfortunately get dirty this time around as well.

I dont think there is any chance of Bopanna/Bhupathi. That is just stupid and also didn't work when they were a full partnership. The media likes stirring things and may say whatever they want but am pretty sure it will be Rohan/Paes in Men's Doubles.

Mixed Doubles is another matter - till today I thought there is no decision to be made as Paes/Sania won't qualify. Then today I looked at the rankings and realized that, other than Nishikori, there are surprisingly no Asian men's players - either in singles or in doubles - ahead of Paes. The only other Asian ahead of Paes is Treat Huey of Philippines and he doesn't have a female partner.

Of course, Paes/Sania qualification is still very tough. There are 4 wild card slots - but there are clear rules defined on how they will be alloted. First one will go to Brazil. Then, they go to any unrepresented regional associations. Here there is another surprise - there are 6 regional bodies - Asia, Oceania, Europe, Africa, South America and Central America. However, there is actually no north american regional body and thus USA/Canada are not part of any of those bodies. Of those bodies, we may have a situation that all 12 direct qualifiers in Mixed Doubles are from Europe/USA/Canada - thus leaving all the remaining 5 bodies vying for 3 slots, in which case, spots will be given to continents with the lowest representation in singles...

So getting Paes/Sania through is definitely very complicated - and am not sure it will be attempted considering Bopanna is playing much better at the moment, is assured qualification, and he and Sania did very well in IPTL (Though even Bopanna/Sania are unlikely to be seeded as the seeding will be mostly taken up by the 2 american pairs and the 2 Swiss pairs). Also, Bopanna is a natural back-hand player while Paes is a natural forehand player which always causes an issue whenever he teams up with Sania.

Then again, Anil Khanna is the president of the Asian Tennis Federation...