website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

1 hour ago, dcro said:

Ah, the exact moment when I did 180 with my prediction. :p

I wonder, is this another one of those screenshots from an independent website that's nothing official at all and is most likely a correction of an earlier mistake? Just like Michigan's (?) 138k-0 for Biden at some point, which Trumpists said proved fraud, but was actually quickly debunked to simply be the correction of a mistake? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

I wonder, is this another one of those screenshots from an independent website that's nothing official at all and is most likely a correction of an earlier mistake? Just like Michigan's (?) 138k-0 for Biden at some point, which Trumpists said proved fraud, but was actually quickly debunked to simply be the correction of a mistake? :p 

Didn't this happen though? Trump was leading WI (according to CNN/Guardian) by 100k votes, and then it just reverted in an instant. :p

#banbestmen

29 minutes ago, dcro said:

Didn't this happen though? Trump was leading WI (according to CNN/Guardian) by 100k votes, and then it just reverted in an instant. :p

Yes, it happened. However, it was not a 'Biden votes dump', as Trump suggests it was: it was the massive dump of results from mail-in ballots coming out of Milwaukee, where Biden was expected to win by a huge margin (roughly 40 percent points I believe, which is closing in on 200k votes). That, plus the fact that Biden was very heavily winning mail-in ballots* made for a double 'bonus' one could expect from 170k Milwaukee mail-in ballots coming in. Trump obviously got a whole bunch of votes in that dump as well, it was just nothing - as expected for perfectly valid reasons - compared to Biden's numbers.

*Trump asked why this was possible later....it was because he himself was casting doubt on mail-in voting all the time and so Republicans barely did that!

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

32 minutes ago, dcro said:

Speaking of this, were similar jumps noted in Ohio (which also flipped)?

Not really I think, since Ohio started with the mail-in ballots and then, as was roughly to be expected, Trump gained ground when the Election Day votes were being counted and reported, which happened at more of a steady pace than the mail-in 'dumps'.

23 minutes ago, dcro said:

In any case, they really did a poor job counting votes. There should not be so much drama around it.

Heck, it's why the exit polls exist. To prevent surprises.

Exit-polls won't help much when there's such an insane amount of mail-in ballots, which both candidates actively pushed towards one side. Plus one can wonder anyway how many surprises there really were. A lot of the turnarounds really were not that surprising given the combination of where votes still had to come from and what kind of votes they were.