website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

It meant to bring this up with you @hckosice but then I forgot, but now I remembered. Why the hell is the Czech Republic giving a bunch of public land (that the government took very goof care of) back the Catholic Church? If there is but one thing the communists did right it was to take the Catholic Church’s land away. I’m curious to here what you know/think about this.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

5 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

It meant to bring this up with you @hckosice but then I forgot, but now I remembered. Why the hell is the Czech Republic giving a bunch of public land (that the government took very goof care of) back the Catholic Church? If there is but one thing the communists did right it was to take the Catholic Church’s land away. I’m curious to here what you know/think about this.

What's right about taking away lands owned by someone/something else, 'because'? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I´m not really into this, from what I know, it´s because of a deal with the church they have.

the law on the separation of churches from the state, including a compromise, the restitution of church property where it was possible, and the payment of compensation where it was not possible. As far as I know, according to the deal with the government, the churches should receive a gradual decline, until 2030 when they should be completely independent from the state.

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

What's right about taking away lands owned by someone/something else, 'because'? :p 

In all fairness when they “purchased” the land probably in the Middle Ages, there wasn’t conservation, scientific studies, outdoor recreation, or any who would dare go against them to purchase any land. The Catholic Church should not hold any land titles other than in areas where they built a place of worship on the land (that goes for every religion). Religion should be about what’s best for the people, not what’s best for those at the top.

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

In all fairness when they “purchased” the land probably in the Middle Ages, there wasn’t conservation, scientific studies, outdoor recreation, or any who would dare go against them to purchase any land. The Catholic Church should not hold any land titles other than in areas where they built a place of worship on the land (that goes for every religion). Religion should be about what’s best for the people, not what’s best for those at the top.

Sure, but is it really fair for a government to say "nah that thing of a few hundred years ago doesn't count anymore, your land is ours now, kthxbye"?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

18 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

You are very naive. Religion as well as politics & journalism is all about power. About controlling any given society. These three are locked in an eternal war for power. Land ownership is a perfect way to control people. Any state holds that priviledge and so many more. You have to purchase the land first then purchase the build permit and the list goes on and on. Hell, these states even battle for ownership of some ice field in Antarctica because of what lies underneath it. Hell, they even sell land claim on the frickin' Moon of all places.