website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

We are only few hours away from a catastrophe , probably one of the worst in the very long history of this country.

after the lowest turnout ever in the first round, things don't look better for the runoff, of course there is no reliable poll and I'm still hoping for a surprise when I wake up Saturday morning but it doesn't feel like that.:cry: this time it's not about just one "bad guy" but a very dangerous cult with weird delusional apocalyptic idea.

The UK exit poll is out. Labour predicted to win with a massive majority.

Big losses for the right win Conservative party.

Gains for the centrist Liberal Democrat party.

First seats for the far right Reform party.

Big losses for the Scottish Nationalist Party.

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

We are only few hours away from a catastrophe , probably one of the worst in the very long history of this country.

after the lowest turnout ever in the first round, things don't look better for the runoff, of course there is no reliable poll and I'm still hoping for a surprise when I wake up Saturday morning but it doesn't feel like that.:cry: this time it's not about just one "bad guy" but a very dangerous cult with weird delusional apocalyptic idea.

Tell us more :cry:

It's a big result for Nigel Farage.  Since the beginning of the three-party system more than a century ago, no Britain-wide fourth party has ever won more than 6 seats at a General Election.  So if he does get 13 it will be new territory. 

51 minutes ago, Dragon said:

The UK exit poll is out. Labour predicted to win with a massive majority.

Big losses for the right win Conservative party.

Gains for the centrist Liberal Democrat party.

First seats for the far right Reform party.

Big losses for the Scottish Nationalist Party.

And your missing adjective is "Far-left Labour party".  Also "Numpty Scottish Nationalist Party"

18 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

It's a big result for Nigel Farage.  Since the beginning of the three-party system more than a century ago, no Britain-wide fourth party has ever won more than 6 seats at a General Election.  So if he does get 13 it will be new territory. 

First past the post system still hosed Farage? Apparently they got almost 2x as many votes as Lib Dems but will get 5x less MP seats! Democracy rules :lol:

1 hour ago, LuizGuilherme said:

Tell us more :cry:

well it's hard to explain things in short but let me try

there is a simple formula for elections here. low turnout = hardliner's win, big turnout = hardliner's defeat (except 2009 which was completely rigged)

first round of 2024 was the lowest turnout ever with 39%. people are still very angry about what happened in 2022 and most of them simply don't want anything to do with the regime. they don't want to vote which will legitimate the regime in their minds. they have every right for that but this time it's not about picking up the right guy. it's not about making things better, it's about survival. Iran as a country is already very weak (in all aspects) I don't think we can afford another catastrophe. 

hardliners have something like 8-9-10 millions vote here, some of them are simply brainwashed, some are just opportunists, some are just uneducated people. no matter what. they simply vote like a sheep without thinking twice. this time hardliner's representative comes from their worst group. the most extreme. his idea is loosely based on this group (not completely but the origin is the same)

as everybody knows the president won't have the complete power in Iran, someone else (Ali Khameneyi) does. yet the president is still the 2nd powerful person and can do lots of things. it doesn't mean the election will change everything tomorrow, I believe Khameneyi will control them at some degree. but this group is taking over everything slowly. Khameneyi is 85 years old and nobody knows how long he will last, he is extreme and a bloody dictator himself but still nothing compared to this cult. they somehow believe in something like North Korea's system. probably even worse when you mix that with religion.

I tried to make it short and easy to understand. obviously the situation is not as black and white as I explained. 

Edited by MHSN

23 hours ago, Monzanator said:

First past the post system still hosed Farage? Apparently they got almost 2x as many votes as Lib Dems but will get 5x less MP seats! Democracy rules :lol:

Interesting to point out that if we'd had the other system of voting we might have had a Labour / Liberal coalition government for the last 40 years.