website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

5 hours ago, dcro said:

Says who? CNN? Hollywood?

America has school shootings, serial killers, and probably few more similar things you can't really find anywhere else on the globe. Obviously they can't behave like the police in Sweden or Italy. But systematically ruthless? Not really, beyond mainstream media that is.

Says me. I’ve lived in this country for my entire life. I’ve seen our police do horrific shit constantly. I don’t trust the officers in my own community to act as they should. I’ve see and heard officers use racial slurs constantly in conversations, and I see some of the gross shit they share on social media. I’ve seen how they’ve treated my black and brown friends. I never seen one attempt conflict resolution. I’ve never seen one attempt anything outside of brute force to solve a situation. 

Also, it’s always convenient to blame the media isn’t. I get that broadcast journalism is biased and only it for the money (this is something I believe personally). However, they’re are many reputable, honest, and necessary media organizations in existence. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Says me. I’ve lived in this country for my entire life. I’ve seen our police do horrific shit constantly. I don’t trust the officers in my own community to act as they should. I’ve see and heard officers use racial slurs constantly in conversations, and I see some of the gross shit they share on social media. I’ve seen how they’ve treated my black and brown friends. I never seen one attempt conflict resolution. I’ve never seen one attempt anything outside of brute force to solve a situation. 

Also, it’s always convenient to blame the media isn’t. I get that broadcast journalism is biased and only it for the money (this is something I believe personally). However, they’re are many reputable, honest, and necessary media organizations in existence. 

That's the thing though, they are left in the cheap seats while CNN and FOX suck the air out of the room and control the media narrative. Same thing with these riots, the voice of the peaceful protesters has been silenced by the looters, thieves & hooligans to the point some protesters had to shelter a policeman from getting lynched despite the very same protesters actually opposing police's actions in first place. Talk about grand irony here.

15 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

That's the thing though, they are left in the cheap seats while CNN and FOX suck the air out of the room and control the media narrative. Same thing with these riots, the voice of the peaceful protesters has been silenced by the looters, thieves & hooligans to the point some protesters had to shelter a policeman from getting lynched despite the very same protesters actually opposing police's actions in first place. Talk about grand irony here.

They don’t control anything if you don’t give them the time of day :d

People just need to learn to think about information critically, and to fact-check anything they read.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

42 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Not really sure about your second source either @heywoodu...I mean she posts some crazy shit.

Hence my saying you can't be sure if it's real or not with all of these situations and insinuations of who is behind the violence.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

One moment people are applauding for healthcare workers (not really my 'thing' to do, but fine), another moment they are showing the same healthcare workers a big fat middle finger: protests in Amsterdam due to the whole USA thing, where police has said they are not going to act to the mass of people too close together.

Well that's just fantastic, let's throw everyone's safety in the trashcan now. It's pretty much impossible now to defend COVID-19 precautions, people have seen the demonstration today and won't care anymore.

48e29010-a42b-11ea-acc6-0217670beecd.jpg

Same place, a few weeks ago during the national 'Death Remembrance' (when it's usually completely filled up):

7ICOTQH.png

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

48 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

They don’t control anything if you don’t give them the time of day :d

People just need to learn to think about information critically, and to fact-check anything they read.

They create their own space. That's what huge corporations always do? You can say a lot of things about FOX and CNN but being second-tier on the media market is not one of them.

You're asking for too much out of today's society. Short attention span is king. Everything you have to say has to be within the lenght of a single tweet. Gone are hours of talking heads on TV. Either say something quick or goodbye. Everyone with a social media account can call themselves a freelance journalist or "media influencer" at the very least :lol: The rise of social media has fuelled the "fake news" era like nothing else. Nobody waits for the evening news to find out what's going on, nobody's buying papers in the morning as well. Time is money and every report has to be done now because it will be ancient history after 3-4 hours, let alone the next day. Fact-checking has devalued faster than triple-double in the NBA where all you do is shoot the damn ball from everywhere.

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

One moment people are applauding for healthcare workers (not really my 'thing' to do, but fine), another moment they are showing the same healthcare workers a big fat middle finger: protests in Amsterdam due to the whole USA thing, where police has said they are not going to act to the mass of people too close together.

Well that's just fantastic, let's throw everyone's safety in the trashcan now. It's pretty much impossible now to defend COVID-19 precautions, people have seen the demonstration today and won't care anymore.

Don't they have to do what the government says? :d

1 hour ago, Federer91 said:

Don't they have to do what the government says? :d

What the mayor says in this case. Thing is, Amsterdam has a.....let us say, not exactly wonderful mayor nowadays :p (Femke Halsema, she used to be the leader of one of the national parties, GroenLinks)

I always did love Amsterdam :wub:

I agree though that protesting domestic issues in the U.S. isn’t really worth throwing away Covid-19 measures. At least when people chose a street to march down, people can stay relatively distanced, but once you pack a square, all bets are off. Hopefully, everyone was wearing a mask and following hygienic measures so that the spread was limited (if happening at this particular gathering).