website statistics

Biathlon IBU World Championships 2021

Totallympics

11 minutes ago, Werloc said:

I think it could have something to do with the fact that athletes are stuck in IBU cup until they're 24-26ish.

Most recent talented German biathletes got their chances to run in the World Cup team when they were a lot younger - Dahlmeier, Preuss. 

Norway is one of the hardest teams to get into, but even their athletes come into the World Cup a bit more younger an

That’s a very good point.  Lots of them just give up - Julia (?) Döll was promising but gave up at age 24 or so because she was batted between IBU & WC like a table tennis ball.

1 minute ago, Grassmarket said:

That’s a very good point.  Lots of them just give up - Julia (?) Döll was promising but gave up at age 24 or so because she was batted between IBU & WC like a table tennis ball.

Julia could have actually been a Dahlmeier probably, she absolutely destroyed the juniors if I remember correctly.

Kummer, Horchlers as well. 

7 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Julia could have actually been a Dahlmeier probably, she absolutely destroyed the juniors if I remember correctly.

Kummer, Horchlers as well. 

Because the French & Italians have very few biathletes, they stick with & develop the same individuals from age 18 to career end.  Because the Germans & Russians have a never-drying fountain of young athletes, they waste them.

2 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Because the French & Italians have very few biathletes, they stick with & develop the same individuals from age 18 to career end.  Because the Germans & Russians have a never-drying fountain of young athletes, they waste them.

Totally, and the fact is, Italy is looking like an absolute super team in 2-3 years, so unless you're Norway, it's pretty ideal to invest into your talent a bit more. You have 6 spots, save at least 1 for development. 

1 hour ago, JonPhi said:

Sorry, but where had Germany talented XC skiers on the men’s site in the last few years? Yes, some won Medals at U23 Championships but they haven‘t take the step into the world class. And so it is in Biathlon. After 2014 there came no more talented athlete in Biathlon. The last ones were at this time Dahlmeier, Preuß, Hinz and Doll.

Sorry, but are you even aware of what „talented“ means? Winning a medal at U23 worlds is pretty much the definition of being talented. By that definition Notz, Brugger and Moch were/are all very talented. Obviously they haven’t reached anything at senior level (so far), but results at senior level have almost nothing to do with talent. The most important factor for being good at senior level is nationality = having access to a superior doping program.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

47 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Totally, and the fact is, Italy is looking like an absolute super team in 2-3 years, so unless you're Norway, it's pretty ideal to invest into your talent a bit more. You have 6 spots, save at least 1 for development. 

What? I think Wierer will be gone by then.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 hour ago, Werloc said:

I think it could have something to do with the fact that athletes are stuck in IBU cup until they're 24-26ish.

Most recent talented German biathletes got their chances to run in the World Cup team when they were a lot younger - Dahlmeier, Preuss. 

Norway is one of the hardest teams to get into, but even their athletes come into the World Cup a bit more younger and fresh. 

I don’t think so. They would get to be part of the World Cup team if they would be talented enough. Even Hettich got a chance and she is slow like a snail.

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

What? I think Wierer will be gone by then.

Braunhofer, Bionaz, Giacomel, Trabucchi, Lardschneider, Carrara are going to be wrecking kids soon.

They are all so young and fresh, Italy's development is looking extremely good for the near future. 

I think they're only losing to Norway right now in regards to development of capable junior athletes.

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

I don’t think so. They would get to be part of the World Cup team if they would be talented enough. Even Hettich got a chance and she is slow like a snail.

Athletes like Hettich are getting a chance because the depth of the German team is absolutely gone. Right now you have a neverending stream of average athletes.

Hettich is nr. 3 German this season, Hammerschmidt is struggling to regain her old form, Hinz was really underperforming the entire season and young talent is at such a bad spot that Hildebrand might fight her way back into the World Cup team.

I'd say the men's side is still salvagable at the moment, compared to the huge hole that the Germans need to climb out of on the women's side.

Yeah, I have no idea why Germany has such huge depth issues in biathlon. Other than Army cutting down fundings which would be strange since biathlon is like very popular in Germany. The Horchlers becoming full-time World Cup starters at age 30 was the first strike, they're gone and we have Anna Weidel shooting 10/10 and finishing 49th in Oberhof which is basement level tbh. Hammerschmidt was always #5 or 6 at best, below relay-worthy but without the top performers she's like a stable number 4 now. Herrmann will turn 33 IIRC, Hinz keeps blowing hot & cold and there's only Preuss that has improved after Dahlmeier's retirement. It doesn't look good at all.

Over on the men's side there are Doll and Peiffer and well, Kuehn tends to do well from time to time and that would be it. What's up with Nawrath is anyone's guess and Schempp has succumbed to age.