website statistics

Speed Skating ISU European Championships 2021

Totallympics

Excited for the first big international competition of the season. Normally speaking, all titles will be split between the Russians and the Dutch, but I'm hoping for some surprises. 

Perhaps :BLR Ignat Golovatsiuk can pull off a surprise in the men's sprint tournament. The 500m times he has skated in Minsk this season have been very solid.

I'm also curious to see what :SWE Nils van der Poel can do, especially on the longer distances. I hope he qualifies for the final 10.000 meters, especially after that impressing time in Inzell.

5 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Excited for the first big international competition of the season. Normally speaking, all titles will be split between the Russians and the Dutch, but I'm hoping for some surprises. 

Perhaps :BLR Ignat Golovatsiuk can pull off a surprise in the men's sprint tournament. The 500m times he has skated in Minsk this season have been very solid.

I'm also curious to see what :SWE Nils van der Poel can do, especially on the longer distances. I hope he qualifies for the final 10.000 meters, especially after that impressing time in Inzell.

Looking at the number of competitors from each country I would love to see an Polish skater with medal but big number of skaters doesn't mean that we are good at all at this moment. I'm hoping for at least one top8 place. 

16 minutes ago, rybak said:

Looking at the number of competitors from each country I would love to see an Polish skater with medal but big number of skaters doesn't mean that we are good at all at this moment. I'm hoping for at least one top8 place. 

I think the Russians won't take this tournament too seriously, so perhaps that's where there is a chance for them. The Polish skaters have had quite a number of internal competitions this year, which might benefit them in this weird season.

I wanted to make a prediction for all four tournaments, but I don't have time to look at all the participants.

However, this is my prediction for the women's allround tournament:

1. :NED Antoinette de Jong
  2. :CZE Martina Sáblíková
  3. :RUS Evgeniia Lalenkova
  4. :RUS Natalia Voronina
  5. :NED Irene Schouten
  6. :POL Karolina Bosiek
  7. :RUS Elizaveta Golubeva
  8. :ITA Francesca Lollobrigida
  9. :NED Joy Beune
  10. :CZE Nikola Zdráhalová
  11. :POL Natalia Czerwonka
  12. :BLR Ekaterina Sloeva
  13. :POL Magdalena Czyszczoń
  14. :NOR Sofie Karoline Haugen
  15. :NOR Ida Njåtun
  16. :NOR Ragne Wiklund
  17. :GER Mareike Thum
  18. :GER Leia Marie Behlau
  19. :ITA Linda Rossi
  20. :EST Kristiine Kalev

I'm pretty sure of my top 5. Bosiek will only finish top 8 if she wins the 500m by a good margin, otherwise she'll finish 9th and Joy Beune will take her spot in the top 8. Czerwonka and Zdrahalova can also finish top 8 if Lollobrigida doesn't skate a good 3.000m. It's almost impossible to predict what Lollobrigida can do here as she has only skated two minor outdoor competitions this season.

And some predictions for the podium per distance, just for fun. These are even more difficult to predict this season:

500m: 

1. :POL Karolina Bosiek
  2. :BLR Ekaterina Sloeva
  3. :RUS Elizaveta Golubeva

1.500m:

1. :RUS Evgeniia Lalenkova
  2. :RUS Elizaveta Golubeva
  3. :NED Antoinette de Jong

3.000m:

1. :CZE Martina Sáblíková
  2. :NED Antoinette de Jong
  3. :RUS Natalia Voronina

5.000m:

1. :CZE Martina Sáblíková
  2. :RUS Natalia Voronina
  3. :NED Antoinette de Jong

And the men's sprint tournament:

1. :NED Kai Verbij 
  2. :RUS Viktor Mushtakov 
  3. :NOR Håvard Holmefjord Lorentzen 
  4. :BLR Ignat Golovatsiuk (more wishful thinking)
  5. :NED Hein Otterspeer 
  6. :NED Thomas Krol 
  7. :GER Nico Ihle 
  8. :GER Joel Dufter 
  9. :BEL Mathias Vosté 
  10. :POL Artur Nogal 
  11. :POL Damian Zurek 
  12. :POL Piotr Michalski 
  13. :EST Marten Liiv 
  14. :RUS Artem Arefyev
  15. :RUS Victor Lobas 
  16. :NOR Odin By Farstad