website statistics

Ski Jumping at the Winter Olympic Games 2018

hckošice

This is ridiculous, everyone except for the Germans and Norwegians will complain about the wind. Ski jumping is the most weather-affected event and that will never change. There was a big debate before the wind compensations were introduced and now they're also wrong? Sheesh... there was a time nobody measured the wind.

Hula blew up mentally, this much is evident to me. Wellinger and Johansson took advantage of the conditions and were rewarded. The media hype in Poland is downright pathetic, I can't even listen to TVP coverage anymore.

The FIS delegate said that after the 1st round they did everything they could to finish the competition. So postponing the 2nd round was never an option. And that's correct. It's the Olympic Games, there is a big schedule and wind-affected competitions are old news.

1 godzinę temu, OlympicsFan napisał:

The wind points don't always show the true conditions, that is certainly true. If you have headwind very early it's much worse than having headwind further down the hill, but you get the same points. We have to say that Hula probably had the best conditions (gate + wind) in the first round, so i am not really sure about him being treated unfairly, i think he had every chance to medal and for me Wellinger deserved the gold, because he also won the qualification, the trial round for qualification and two trainings, but the norwegians certainly got lucky today. I agree that they should have postponed this competition or better not even have started it that late. It was a saturday after all, so did they really think that far more european people would watch it at 1:30 pm instead of 10 am for example? The good thing about the winter olympics is that you can follow all decisions live (unlike the summer olympics), so i don't understand the schedule at all ...

Tonight they had snowboarding at 2 am european time, then downhill was planned at 3 am and then ... nothing until 8 am (cross-country), then speed skating and then again ... nothing until 11:45 or so (luge). Why can't they just start every medal decision at 2 pm local time (6 am european time) and end it at 7 or 8 pm local time at the latest? There are so few medal decisions every day that it would be no problem to squeeze the schedule together a bit and still allow the spectators to watch everything live.

i will never say he was cheated. He had so much luck in 1st round, he wasted his chance in his head. 

If anyone says Johansson didn`t deserve medal...plz jump that far after 10 minutes in -15 waiting to jump after Amman. I won`t say Hula didn`t deserve, both did. Johansson won it, that`s it. Funny is that Stoch in fact was ahead of Hula what makes me a bit "what"? Yes, maybe real conditions weren`t that good or they changed when it didn`t matter in Hula`s flight. But....Hula more wasted his chance than anything else. 107m shouldn`t be a problem for both Kamil and Stefan

Edited by Pavlo

I fell in love with sports.....since i first seen it

31 minut temu, Monzanator napisał:

This is ridiculous, everyone except for the Germans and Norwegians will complain about the wind. Ski jumping is the most weather-affected event and that will never change. There was a big debate before the wind compensations were introduced and now they're also wrong? Sheesh... there was a time nobody measured the wind.

Hula blew up mentally, this much is evident to me. Wellinger and Johansson took advantage of the conditions and were rewarded. The media hype in Poland is downright pathetic, I can't even listen to TVP coverage anymore.

The FIS delegate said that after the 1st round they did everything they could to finish the competition. So postponing the 2nd round was never an option. And that's correct. It's the Olympic Games, there is a big schedule and wind-affected competitions are old news.

Johansson took advantage after standing there for some 10 minutes? He was outstanding, isn`t it sth deserving a medal?

Kot got frozen and depressed after some 3 minutes. Sorry but maybe we are looking for the sollution not where we should. SIlver and bronze were ours to lose...and we lost it, both guys jumped under their abilities. Watch the replay...Kamil was late by huge margin, Stefan got "stiff". 

At the end the lottery always works both ways, in 1st round it helped Stefan...he wasted it himself. Yes...they should have moved it to other day but would it guarantee us a medal? No. 

I`m dissapointed with Kamil`s and Stefan`s jump and with all of them having to have such important contest in such conditions. 

Edited by Pavlo

If the competiiton was moved to another day and Hula/Stoch would finish where they did, Polish media would still bitch about that decision too. It was a no-win situation for the organizers but surprise, surprise, nature always wins the tug-of-war with humans. Hula really only has himself to blame.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Pavlo:

i will never say he was cheated. He had so much luck in 1st round, he wasted his chance in his head. 

If anyone says Johansson didn`t deserve medal...plz jump that far after 10 minutes in -15 waiting to jump after Amman. I won`t say Hula didn`t deserve, both did. Johansson won it, that`s it. Funny is that Stoch in fact was ahead of Hula what makes me a bit "what"? Yes, maybe real conditions weren`t that good or they changed when it didn`t matter in Hula`s flight. But....Hula more wasted his chance than anything else. 107m shouldn`t be a problem for both Kamil and Stefan

In german TV Sven Hannawald also said that Hula's second jump was much worse, i think he said that his ski came too agressively towards his body shortly after the take-off. I think Stoch was better than Hula in most training, so i don't quite understand why you are so surprised? People now calling ski jumping a lottery just have no clue, this is not like biathlon where complete no-names can win with unfair wind conditions. In the end Wellinger was the best in the qualification and many training + the two norwegians were always contenders for top 6. I had the feeling that Stoch got worse with every jump on this hill, very strange, let's hope that he can turn it around at the large hill. Kubacki got unlucky, but i think overall Hula got unlucky, so i wouldn't say that Poland was betrayed or something like that. Of course we will never know what Kubacki could have done, so i understand polish anger, but i absolutely don't understand how people can call Freitag a lucky winner. I think Poland will win silver/gold in the team and at least one medal at the large hill, so probably everyone will calm done very soon.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

30 minut temu, OlympicsFan napisał:

In german TV Sven Hannawald also said that Hula's second jump was much worse, i think he said that his ski came too agressively towards his body shortly after the take-off. I think Stoch was better than Hula in most training, so i don't quite understand why you are so surprised? People now calling ski jumping a lottery just have no clue, this is not like biathlon where complete no-names can win with unfair wind conditions. In the end Wellinger was the best in the qualification and many training + the two norwegians were always contenders for top 6. I had the feeling that Stoch got worse with every jump on this hill, very strange, let's hope that he can turn it around at the large hill. Kubacki got unlucky, but i think overall Hula got unlucky, so i wouldn't say that Poland was betrayed or something like that. Of course we will never know what Kubacki could have done, so i understand polish anger, but i absolutely don't understand how people can call Freitag a lucky winner. I think Poland will win silver/gold in the team and at least one medal at the large hill, so probably everyone will calm done very soon.

Stoch is a better jumper but sometimes Hula wins with him :)

i mean that analyzing both their jumps and conditions i was a bit amazed by Stoch being ahead at the end in this contest. He was late and drifting right, he needed better wind, he didn`t get it but got high compensation pts. Hula jumped just after him, flags were silent down there, the same distance...big advantage after 1st round...and certainly compensation changed from -12 to -18 and Hula is behind even Stoch. I really believe that making a mistake, Hula also didn`t have in flight conditions adequate to deduction pts. 

He didn`t make kind of "skis-up" at 2/3 of his flight, i think he did it always before, very small move but i think it was giving him some meter or two. He wasn`t used to jump for olympic medals, it was too much for him but there is a margin of system mistake taking away a bronze way from him. Nevertheless - both of them dissapointed heavily. Congrats to Wellinger

Edited by Pavlo

Results of the 3rd training:

Round 1:

1) Takanashi 69.2

2) Vogt 68.7

3) Lundby 67.0

4) Ito 66.0

5) Kriznar 64.9

6) Althaus 62.8

Round 2:

1) Lundby 81.5

2) Kriznar 74.5

3) Vogt 70.3

4) Takanashi 66.5

5) Ito 65.9

6) Althaus 62.2

Vogt seems to gain momentum, while Althaus completely lost it. Now there will probably be a 6-way battle for the medals behind Lundby between Althaus, Vogt, Ito, Takanashi, Kriznar and Iraschko-Stolz.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.