website statistics

Weightlifting 2016 Discussion Thread

PetrC.

I don't blame UAE for using that strategy. Any other nation could have sent athletes in those weight categories too. It's a product of the qualification system. At least they have a half decent athlete in the -58kg.

We saw something similar at the 2012 Olympics in the women's -63kg. There were so few athletes that a bunch of -58kg women went up a weightclass just so they can say they finished with a higher rank.

Edited by JoshMartini007

e5f47f803a.png

:lol:

They can probably add an 8th and 9th place in +75kg to that, so I think they're going to end up just short of a quota.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Looks like Turkmenistan can take the last quota from UAE, if everything goes in the way of entry weights in women's -75 and +75. Turkmenistan would end up on 82, UAE on 81. I really hope Turkmenistan takes it... :fingers:

Current situation

TKM 80 (22+20+19+19)

UAE 68 (22+16+15+15)

If everything goes like entry weights, TKM would get 21 in -75, UAE would get 22+21 in +75.

#banbestmen

3 minutes ago, dcro said:

Looks like Turkmenistan can take the last quota from UAE, if everything goes in the way of entry weights in women's -75 and +75. Turkmenistan would end up on 82, UAE on 81. I really hope Turkmenistan takes it... :fingers:

Current situation

TKM 80 (22+20+19+19)

UAE 68 (22+16+15+15)

If everything goes like entry weights, TKM would get 21 in -75, UAE would get 22+21 in +75.

That's a shame, I'd love if UAE actually pulls it off, just to show the flaw in this system :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

That's a shame, I'd love if UAE actually pulls it off, just to show the flaw in this system :p 

They already did that in 2012. :p On the other hand, Turkmenistan is still an unqualified nation and this could be a historic first female quota in weightlifting for them.

#banbestmen

I have been following this on wikipedia 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weightlifting_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Qualification

I think we are now surely there in the mens .................:IND:clap:........................................................... 4/5/6 by the end of the qualifications as per my calculations 

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I just remembered this video reportage about their qualification in 2012... My favorite line is "In the UAE it's a girls' sport as the girls qualified, not the boys. Girls are smarter than boys. Weightlifting has nothing to do with strength..." :lol:

#banbestmen