website statistics

Ice Hockey IIHF World Championships 2017

hckošice

MEN'S UNDER 18

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

8OkbIolrn8FlhggQUWWGCBBRp0uv8HQ0mwnsLWDY

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gold Medal Match
  Finland FIN.gif  2 - USA.gif United States
Period-by-Period: 0-2, 1-2, 1-0
April 23rd 2017, h. 19:30, Poprad Arena, Poprad

Americans re-claim gold

Finland couldn't capitalize on pp, loses 4-2

USA_vs_FIN_036.jpg?height=550&width=750

The U.S. National Team Development Program produced another emphatic victory tonight in Poprad, knocking off last year's gold medallists, 4-2.

The U.S. won their third gold in the last four U18s and seventh in the last nine, running the table with seven straight wins. Special teams were decisive.

The Americans scored one goal with the extra man and one goal short-handed while Finland was 0-for-6 with the extra man.

More impressive, the Americans have won every top-level gold medal so far this year in IIHF competition--World Juniors, World Women's, Women's U18, and now men's U18.

The victors scored early and took advantage of their chances, while the Finns floundered on the power play at several crucial moments when a goal could have made a difference.

Point in case, the opening goal came at 3:51 moments after a U.S. penalty had expired. Braedan Tkachuk made a sensational play on the goal. He stripped Aleksi Anttalainen of the puck along the boards in the Finnish end and fired a great pass to Josh Norris who snapped a shot in for the early lead.

The U.S. made it 2-0 at 16:47 thanks again to great hustle by the set-up man. This time Jacob Tortora got on a loose puck behind the Finnish goal, over-skated the puck, went back for it, and it one motion made a backhanded pass to Joel Farabee, who made no mistake.

To make matters worse, the Americans made it 3-0 early in the third scoring short-handed. Logan Cockerill made a cheeky drop pass on a two-on-two rush and Farabee finished the play nicely.

Suomi got one back thanks to a quick point shot from Eemeli Rasanen that found the back of the net, but four minutes later the U.S. upped the count to 4-1 on a power play, their first of the night. Grant Mismash finished a nice pass from Quinton Hughes for the goal. 

The Finns made it 4-2 on a crazy play. St. Cyr came out to play the puck in front of his net, and he hit the oncoming Urho Vaakanainen. The puck bounced in, and with less than four minutes to go, the Finns has a sliver of hope.

Luukkonen came to the bench soon after, but the Finns could get no closer.

Results Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MEN'S UNDER 18

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vesalainen named MVP

Three Americans named to all-star team

CRD_9508_Channel%20Homepage%20Slider.jpg

Ivan Chekhovich :RUS joins USA and FIN players on all-star team. 

Finland's Kristian Vesalainen, who led the tournament in goals (6) and points (13) was named MVP of the 2017 U18. All honours are as follows:

Most Valuable Player

Kristian Vesalainen :FIN

Directorate Awards

Best Goaltender: Maxim Zhukov :RUS
Best Defenceman: Miro Heiskanen :FIN
Best Forward: Kristian Vesalainen :FIN

Media All-Star Team

Goal: Dylan St. Cyr :USA
Defence: Miro Heiskanen :FIN
Defence: Maxwell Gidon :USA
Forward: Kristian Vesalainen :FIN
Forward: Sean Dhooghe :USA
Forward: Ivan Chekhovich :RUS

Total attendance for the 31 games at Poprad and Spisska Nova Ves exceeded 70,000.

The 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey Men’s U18 World Championship will be held in Chelyabinsk and Magnitogorsk, Russia, April 19-29, 2018.

France won Division I-A and will play in Russia next year while Latvia lost the relegation series today and will play down in Division I-A next year.

So, the second Under 18 world championships in Slovakia in history ended with a triumph of the USA tonight.

:USA United States :champion: won a deserved title, their 10th U18 world title in history, the 3rd in last 4 years and 7th from last 10 years. There no doubts who is the best Under 18 ice hockey country in the world. The USA youth hockey program is just awesome and all hockey fans can show it year after year, this time once again USA U18 team won everything, all 7 matches without serious troubles (maybe in the semifinal overtime win against Sweden).

Btw USA is just perfect in hockey world this year. It´s just incredible but true. USA won all 4 top divisions World championships played this season. USA won this year the Mens Under 20 WCh, the Womens Under 18 WCh, The Womens WCh and now the Mens Under 18 Wch :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:Everything, just everything..Total respect..only 1 WCH remains the Mens WCh, let see what US team will do there...

Silver for Finland. Another epic and fantastic year for the Finlands hockey, definitely one of the best europeans (if not the best) hockey school nowadays. Fantastic players, with impressive skills, great but really great skaters, amazing forwards and already top goaltenders we saw again this year. the band around Vessalainen played some exciting and highly watchable hockey.

Bronze for Russia, the team which already played last year the U18 tournament because of sadly known "Meldonium" affair with the previous years team, showed that they gained last year experiences and perfectly used it now. Russia lost only 2 games in this tournament but won when it matters the most like the overtime goal in quarterfinal against Slovakia and tonights 3-0 blank in the semifinal against clearly tired swedes bring them bronze medals.

4th finished Sweden. The young tre kronor, had a strange and bad start in the tournament with a 2-2 record in the preliminary round, but suddenly shocked Canada in the quarterfinals with a perfect performance, this was unfortunately for them their last win in this tournament.

5th Canada, definitely one of the worst surprise of the tournament, rarely we see a Canadian team without this well known Canadian fighting spirit, without this vivacity and easy play. this was a really strange Canadian team, their lose 7-3 in the quarterfinal against sweden was another proof. But we know that Canada will be back, and next year we can expect another huge team amusing the world hockey fans and fighting for gold.

6th Slovakia. Ah well, a cruel, very very cruel quarterfinal lose in the last seconds of the overtime stopped a big dream of our youngs to win a medal. Yes this team had the capacities to win it. And the full arenas during the matches knew it too. this was an amazing journey, it´s a while we haven´t see such good and enthusiastic teamspirit from our team, many many future stars, we can look quite promising for the future, because one very strong generation is growing for our hockey, I assure you after what I saw these 2 last weeks we will hear in the near future about names like Feherváry, Hrehorčák, Ružička, Liška etc..

7th Czech Republic, Another disappointement, the czechs send to Slovakia a very talented team, and expected to fight for medals, but for some reason it didn´t worked well, only 1 win during the whole tournament were clearly disappointing for this team, maybe next year, since many of the guys will still can play at U18 also for next edition.

8th Switzerland, the same as I wrote about CZE. a team with many interesting prospects -- leading by Certainly the next NHL Draft Number 1 a absolutely phenomenal Nico Hischier -- had higher ambitions than only 1 win and final 8th place.

Belarus finished 9th winning the relegation round series, the newly promoted team will have thanks to this achievement the occasion to continue their U18 top division journey also another year, and it should be a special one since next year the tournament will be played in Russia. All 9 Nations will play the Mens Under 18 Top Division also next year.

10th and last finished Latvia, the Latvians unfortunately will not repeat their success of last year when they managed to maintain among the elite winning the relegation round series (a tough one) against Denmark, this time they lost it by 1-2 with Belarus and will be relegated to the Mens Under 18 Division I Group A next year where they will replace France, promoted nation for the first time in history from this years Mens U18 Div I A played few weeks ago in Slovenia.

MEN'S

DIVISION I GROUP B

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

zcoyv8B4TqEDnFQgRUAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Round-Robin

DAY 1

Netherlands NED.gif 1 - 6 JPN.gif Japan
Period-by-Period: 0-2, 1-2, 0-2
April 23rd 2017, h. 12:30, SSE Arena, Belfast

HIGHLIGHTS

Croatia CRO.gif 2 - 4 GBR.gif Great Britain
Period-by-Period: 0-1, 1-0, 1-3
April 23rd 2017, h. 16:00, SSE Arena, Belfast

HIGHLIGHTS

Estonia EST.gif 0 - 3 LTU.gif Lithuania
Period-by-Period: 0-1, 0-2, 0-0
April 23rd 2017, h. 19:30, SSE Arena, Belfast

HIGHLIGHTS

Round-Robin Provisional Standing After Day 1

Nation
P
W(OTW)
L(OTL)
GF
GA
+/-
Pt.
JPN.gif Japan
1(0)
0(0)
+5
LTU.gif Lithuania
1(0)
0(0)
+3
GBR.gif Great Britain
1(0)
0(0)
+2
CRO.gif Croatia
0(0)
1(0)
EST.gif Estonia
0(0)
1(0)
NED.gif Netherlands
0(0)
1(0)

Mens

Division I Group A World Championships 2017 in Kyiv (UKR)

Day 3 Schedule (24th April 2017)

GMT +3

20:30  Hungary vs Austria

Livestream

Mens

Division I Group B World Championships 2017 in Belfast, Northern Ireland (GBR)

Day 2 Schedule (24th April 2017)

GMT +1

12:30  Japan vs Croatia

16:00  Lithuania vs Netherlands

19:30  Great Britain vs Estonia

Livestream

Korea have really great team this year and after they won Kazakhstan its obvious they will play elite champ next year. And for second spot it will be between Kazakhstan and Hungary.

In group B is now or newer for UK

MEN'S UNDER 18

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Bronze Medal Match
Russia RUS.gif 3 - 0 SWE.gif Sweden
Period-by-Period: 1-0, 1-0, 1-0
April 23rd 2017, h. 15:30, Poprad Arena, Poprad

HIGHLIGHTS

MEN'S UNDER 18

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Gold Medal Match
  Finland FIN.gif  2 - USA.gif United States
Period-by-Period: 0-2, 1-2, 1-0
April 23rd 2017, h. 19:30, Poprad Arena, Poprad

HIGHLIGHTS

MEN ' S UNDER 18

IIHF WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS 2017

UNOFFICIAL FINAL STANDING

RANK NATION 2018 WCh
1 :USA United States A
2 :FIN Finland A
3 :RUS Russia A