website statistics

Alpine Skiing 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

Jansrud and Svindal on top of the world again so far :bowdown:

And right when I post this, Peter Fill takes up the place between them :d 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

So how do we all like the new start number system so far with the best athletes in the first group, resulting in the competition being more or less decided after a few minutes? :p 

(I know Goggia/Stuhec/Kling was an exception yesterday, but normally I'd say most winners will have a much lower starting number than last season) 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

So how do we all like the new start number system so far with the best athletes in the first group, resulting in the competition being more or less decided after a few minutes? :p 

(I know Goggia/Stuhec/Kling was an exception yesterday, but normally I'd say most winners will have a much lower starting number than last season) 

exactly, I don´t like the new system too much if you ask me, maybe it´s just a question of time, after few races I´ll be used more to it, but right now I have this...how to call it...strange feeling that it wasn´t the brightest idea from FIS to change the speed events start list groups

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Wasn't it done, so that the audience watches more athletes runs. :d Frankly i don't pay attention to the starting order that much, but i guess it would be better to have the favourites more spread out.

Just now, Federer91 said:

Wasn't it done, so that the audience watches more athletes runs. :d Frankly i don't pay attention to the starting order that much, but i guess it would be better to have the favourites more spread out.

If that's the case, I wonder if it's working :lol:

Personally I'm watching the first 10 or so with big attention and the rest with less and less attention until I realize I missed 5 skiers in a row :p 

3 minutes ago, hckosice said:

exactly, I don´t like the new system too much if you ask me, maybe it´s just a question of time, after few races I´ll be used more to it, but right now I have this...how to call it...strange feeling that it wasn´t the brightest idea from FIS to change the speed events start list groups

I'm not expecting to get used to it...it's like the first run in slalom and giant slalom: after the first group the standings are more or less made up, with only some surprised to mix things up. 

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

Well, this system is nothing new. Favourites used to be the first to start so they just brought back the historic system.

So they went back in time..if they go back a little more, we might just see a return of Didier Cuche :p