website statistics

Alpine Skiing 2016 - 2017 Discussion Thread

hckošice

Jansrud's winning streak in Val d'Isère

Impressions men's World Cup Val d'Isère 2016 (repl. Beaver Creek)

The first downhill of the season was held under amazing conditions on the „O.K.“ course in Val d’Isère. The sun was out, the snow was hard but responsive, the crowd was cheering and the athletes eager to grab that first downhill title. Norway’s Kjetil Jansrud topped the field to took his second win in two days, as Peter Fill (2nd +0.26) and Aksel Lund Svindal (3rd +0.33) rounded out the podium.

The new starting order procedure resulted in an interesting start list for this downhill, with Kjetil Jansrud picking an early start number and wearing bib n°3. It looks like this strategy paid off, as the winner of yesterday’s super-g also claimed the win in the downhill today, to start the speed season in the best possible way.

Italy’s Peter Fill already showed constant training results in the past days in Val d’Isère with two second place finishes and proved that he can beat the Viking’s pace in the second training run. With bib 7 for today’s race, the downhill globe winner was able to lock up a second place and his 15th World Cup podium.

Despite missing out the second half of last season because of a torn ACL and coming back to training only a few weeks ago, Aksel Lund Svindal showed incredible skills and a solid shape on today’s downhill, where he finished third. Walking away with two podium placements is unexpected and extremely motivating for the attacking Viking.

The speed skiers are now leaving Val d’Isère and will gather again in Val Gardena on 16th and 17th December 2016 for a super-g and a downhill. But the tech skiers are taking over the “O.K.” course in Val d’Isère to hold a giant slalom tomorrow, with first run at 10.00 CET and second run at 13.00 CET.

Full Results Here

Výsledok vyhľadávania obrázkov pre dopyt val disere podium jansrud fill svindal

Kjetil Jansrud

Shiffrin in 13th so far at the DH in Lake Louise :bowdown:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Twice is nice for Stuhec in Lake Louise

Ilka Stuhec second Lake Louise victory

The conditions and circumstances were different, but Slovenian Ilka Stuhec still ruled the downhill track at Lake Louise on Saturday where she picked up her second consecutive victory in as many days. Despite utilizing a lowered start where the men's super-G traditionally begins because of fresh snow on the track and a threatening weather system forecast to move in during the race, Stuhec bested Lara Gut by 0.11 seconds and Edit Miklos by 0.42 seconds down the shortened course.

Stuhec admitted that running fourth on the course and having to watch the rest of the racers come down after her was more nerve-racking than the previous day when she claimed victory from bib 29. 

"I think [running early] was really an advantage because right now the snowfall is getting worse and worse. But you race with the number you have and try to do your best. I had to calm myself down after yesterday and prepare myself for the race today which, apparently, I did pretty well," said Stuhec. 

Gut was also excited to pick up her first downhill podium finish of the season. 

"It's the first time I'm standing on the podium, so it's great. I'm happy and since this year I finally have the feeling that I know what I'm doing on this slope," said Gut. "It's a good improvement, and I'm looking forward to tomorrow for the super-G. I'm going to try to ski even faster and cleaner."

Miklos matched her career-best World Cup result, a third-place downhill finish in St. Mortiz in January 2015. During the previous evening's bib pick, Miklos was the last to draw and was automatically assigned bib 1, but it worked out in her favor. 

"Also third place – I hope the next podium it will be second and then first," joked Miklos. "I think yesterday I had not so much luck like today because the weather was good for me. I think the first numbers, they had luck. In a sport like this, sometimes you have luck and sometimes the others, they have luck. ... It was my luck because they left me just this number." 

The shortened course didn't bother the athlete who represents Hungary one bit. 

"I think [lowering the start] was a good decision because of the weather. I think it's the same if it's long or short." 

The ladies race super-G at Lake Louise on Sunday. 

Full Results Here

Výsledok vyhľadávania obrázkov pre dopyt lake louise 2016 podium ilka stuhec lara gut edit miklos

Ilka Stuhec (again :d)