website statistics

Ireland National Thread

OlympicIRL

1 hour ago, OlympicIRL said:

Before the world ranking qualifications close on Tuesday night, the following Irish athletes look to be safely inside the quota places and should be on the plane to Tokyo:

• Leon Reid (Men's 200m - though it’s uncertain yet if he will be selected)
  • David Kenny (Men's 20km Walk)
  • Phil Healy (Women's 200m)
  • Nadia Power (Women's 800m)
  • Sarah Healy (Women's 1500m)
  • Sarah Lavin (Women's 100m Hurdles)

Then we have a group of athletes where it is touch and go whether they will make the cut:

• Marcus Lawler (Men's 200m - not in good form but looking like he might scrape into the quota places, but it will go down to the wire)
  • Mark English (Men's 800m - hanging on to one of the last quota places but has one final chance of getting an Auto Q on Tuesday in Spain)
  • Andrew Coscoran (Men's 1500m - currently in 42nd with only 45 making the cut. He has a last ditch attempt to make the Auto Q in Lucerne on Tuesday but that also means other rivals will also be chasing the Auto Q time. I have a feeling he will just make it but it could go either way)
  • Phil Healy (Women's 400m - obviously not a disaster for her if she doesn't make it since she will have the 200m and the mixed relay to fall back on. She is currently hanging on for a place in the 400m but could be overtaken once the rankings are updated).
  • Síofra Cléirigh-Buttner (Women's 800m)
  • Louise Shanahan (Women's 800m - both Síofra and Louise seem to have edged out their compatriot Georgie Hartigan for the qualifying places but they are far from safe and both were on either side of the cut-off line before this weekend. It's too close to call at the moment. There could be re-allocations which could help their cause if some nations and athletes decline their quota but still it is not going to be clear until the very last moment).

There are a couple more with a faint glimmer of home (example: Tobin, Hartigan, O'Connor - needs withdrawals above her) but really I think the remaining quotas will come from the list above.

For the mixed 4x400m relay, it looks like Cillín Greene and Chris O'Donnell are odds on to make the team as well as Phil Healy. The other 3 places are still up in the air.

There’s definitely a French girl above O’Connor who is definitely out for the year. She needs one more withdrawal.

9 minutes ago, Oldira said:

There’s definitely a French girl above O’Connor who is definitely out for the year. She needs one more withdrawal.

Given the Dutch have set crazy standards for their athletes across all sports, there is a little chance they could turn down a quota. Who knows? They have 1 girl in by standard but 2 other Dutch girls are in the quota places by ranking only. I do believe they will send all 3 but I am curious to see nonetheless.

Those 2 girls are 11th and 14th in the overall list so it's highly likely they will be sent.

Yes Kate has slipped further down the rankings after the US trials so it’s most unlikely she will make it now. Great to see her entered in the javelin in the Euro U23s as well.

I see David Kenny also entered in the men’s 20 walk. It’s likely he will be inside the Olympic ranking quotas. I wonder will Athletics Ireland send him. I imagine they will bring him to the Olympics if he makes the cut.

13 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

Yes Kate has slipped further down the rankings after the US trials so it’s most unlikely she will make it now. Great to see her entered in the javelin in the Euro U23s as well.

I see David Kenny also entered in the men’s 20 walk. It’s likely he will be inside the Olympic ranking quotas. I wonder will Athletics Ireland send him. I imagine they will bring him to the Olympics if he makes the cut.

I don't see Rhasidat's name there. Looks like she is in line for a call up for the Mixed Relays.

Document produced by OFI includes the shooting quota and mentions Oliver Dingley too

https://olympics.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/TOKYO-STATUS-UPDATE-QUALIFICATION-DOCUMENT-28-JUNE-2021.pdf

Megan Ryan or Emma Slevin aren't confirmed by them yet 

Linked in the announcement of the sailing team (which was as expected)

QUALIFICATION UPDATE

Updated after the official confirmation from the FIG that Megan Ryan has received a reallocated quota in women's artistic gymnastics after the withdrawal of North Korea.

The OFI have also confirmed that Sam Waddilove and Robert Dickson will sail the men's 49er boat for Ireland at the Olympics after winning the nation quota earlier this year at the Lanzarote International regatta.

That means we now have secured 101 athlete quotas (54 men and 47 women) with representatives in 57 events, across 20 different sports.

shamrock-6-1.jpg

Ireland Tokyo 2020 Olympic Team

:IRL IRELAND :IRL

athletes

men athletes

women athletes

events

sports

NEW QUALIFIER:

1 GYMNASTICS-ARTISTIC NAME QUALIFICATION
Women's Individual All-Around 074004qzeiewtibzm4nmtt.png RYAN Megan

2019 World Championships - All-Around Qualifications, 95th Place - Received reallocated quota

The full qualification tracker can be found here:

6 minutes ago, dodge said:

I only have 19 sports. How are we different?

Probably because on this forum road cycling and track cycling are being counted as different sports and I am just copying the format that’s being used here for all nation pages on the forum: