website statistics

Track Cycling UCI World Championships 2024

Totallympics

A weak day for our team. The women's performance in the pursuit race was very telling... In 2022, we clearly beat the UK in the World Championship final. Now we haven't even advanced to the final, and the UK had no rivals here. At the moment, the UK, New Zealand and the USA are clearly beyond our reach and yet our squad has been very stable squad for several years. Others are making progress, and us? Maybe it's because the UK focuses 100% on the track, and our competitors ride the road all the time. On the other hand, some of the girls in the USA also compete on the road, and they won gold in Paris. After 2022, I expected a little more from our girls than 4th place in Paris and bronze at the World Championships in an Olympic year in a weak field. 

In my opinion, we miss a great individuality in the women's team, like Ganna in the men's, or Archibald in the UK, Kopecky in Belgium, etc. What great individuality means was shown yesterday by Wiebes in scratch, who outclassed the rest of her opponents, despite never having competed on the track before. Perhaps Balsamo would be such a person for us, but unfortunately constant injuries don`t allow her to spread her wings. We did win gold in Paris in Madison but let's not kid ourselves that neither Paternoster, nor Consonni, Guazzini, or Fidanza will ever be great stars.

Edited by copravolley

I have a feeling that if Wiebes took track more seriously, she could have won 1-2 gold medals in Paris. Especially since Archibald couldn't start. The competition between these two athletes could be very interesting in the Omnium. Kopecky has lost some of her track skills after putting more concentration on her road career.

Edited by copravolley

10 hours ago, copravolley said:

I have a feeling that if Wiebes took track more seriously, she could have won 1-2 gold medals in Paris. Especially since Archibald couldn't start. The competition between these two athletes could be very interesting in the Omnium. Kopecky has lost some of her track skills after putting more concentration on her road career.

She'd have a chance in the omnium, but would need someone strong for the madison. I think she'll take the road more seriously though, the only reason she did the scratch here was because her road season is over anyway :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

8 hours ago, heywoodu said:

She'd have a chance in the omnium, but would need someone strong for the madison. I think she'll take the road more seriously though, the only reason she did the scratch here was because her road season is over anyway :p 

She could have tried to compete in the Olympics on the track this year, especially since the road course wasn`t good for her.

I don't understand what's the point of fielding riders like Scartezzini... He's 32 and starts in a points race completely anonymously... It's probably time to start fielding younger riders. Ok, Viviani has great authority and we have to say goodbye to him nicely but that's all.