website statistics

Olympic sports program review

De_Gambassi

Sports I don't mention I think are mostly fine.

Athletics

I would remove the mixed 4x400m relay. I personally would like a men's and women's 4x1500m relay, a mixed shuttle hurdles relay and a men's and women's eikiden (essentially a 4x10km road relay, but with the distances adding up to the distance of a marathon).

Artistic Swimming

Adding a mixed duet

Boxing

Either have seven weight classes by gender, or eliminate.

Breaking

Add it back. It just makes a lot of sense from a cost/benifit point of view given it re-uses an existing venue and has a very light athlete footprint.

Canoeing

Oh boy. I have the kayak cross event and I would personally love to see it eliminated, I believe it is the worst variation of snowboardcross ever created.

Not sure what I would do otherwise, I'd like to see six slalom events maintained, but I'm not sure what I would add. Maybe some sort of mixed team events? I don't think the mixed C-2 ever took off, but maybe a timed mixed event with both C-1 and K-1 paddlers?

I would like 5000m K-1 and C-1 events.

Cycling

For road cycling, I would want a team time trial (not the mixed relay time trial, just a four person men's and women's road time trial). I would also like to see a criterium in addition to the road race.

For track cycling, I would add the 1km time trial and the individual pursuit.

I actually like the current omnium format, even though it's basically just a glorified points race.

For mountain biking, I would add a mixed relay to cross country, and also the 4X event (which is what kayak cross wishes it was xD )

Equestrian

I would get rid of dressage (or, if I was the IOC, I would ask for a lot of horse welfare and judging changes)

Field hockey

I would bring back sudden death extra time! Way too many knockout matches go to a shootout.

Football

Increase size of women's tournament to 16 teams.

Golf

Adding a men's and women's team event, four golfers per teams, calculated from the first two rounds of strokeplay.

Would also add a mixed team event, with two golfers per team.

Gymnastics

I would make it very clear that the days of rythmic being women's only and of women's gymnastics having two less aparatus than men's gymnastics are numbered and that there needs to be a plan to change that.

I would add synchro trampoline.

Judo

I would remove the mixed team event, and add a men's and a women's team event.

Modern Pentathlon

I would eliminate this sport.

Rowing

No coastal rowing. If we wanted to cut events I would consider removing the fours and the double scull events.

Sailing

I actually don't know enough about this sport to have a strong opinion on this.

Shooting

I would standarize the format for the men's and women's 25m pistol events.

I would change the formats of the team events, to have an eight team bracket after qualification and head to head matches.

I would stop the rotation between the team trap and the team skeet events and simply include both.

I would add VAR to shotgun shooting xD

Skateboarding

I would add vert

Climbing

I would have three separate individual events (speed, lead, boulder).

Sufring

I would add a mixed team event (similar format as what they do in the Aloha cup)

Table Tennis

I would replace the team event with doubles.

Taekwondo

I would have seven weight classes rather than four.

Weightlifting

I would have seven weight classes rather than five.

Wrestling

I would eliminate Greco-Roman wrestling and have seven freestyle weight classes.

Generally I think the IOC should find cost cuting measures other than limiting the athlete cap. I also think that roster sizes in team sports should be increased while also limiting injury replacements.

Remove sports that are dominated by one country, namely Diving and Table Tennis, if China wins all the medals then what is the point of competition (Badminton used to be part of it, but looks much more equal now in the past 3 cycles), Also remove Boxing which they are doing anyway, and Weightlifting, it's not really a competition, at this point it's who dopes the most, and we know China wins the doping contest hands down since Russia is banned. 

I would add a team golf competition, something like the ryder cup

34 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Remove sports that are dominated by one country, namely Diving and Table Tennis, if China wins all the medals then what is the point of competition (Badminton used to be part of it, but looks much more equal now in the past 3 cycles), Also remove Boxing which they are doing anyway, and Weightlifting, it's not really a competition, at this point it's who dopes the most, and we know China wins the doping contest hands down since Russia is banned. 

Then can we remove Basketball as USA is dominant 

Some of these changes you guys would make to the Olympic program are making me glad that none of you are IOC members :p (on the other hand though, I do agree with some of them…)

I’ll share my thoughts later. 

Edited by Josh

5 minutes ago, Siddhartha Talukdar said:

Then can we remove Basketball as USA is dominant 

Two medals in Basketball (and even then, the women won by one point, and the men almost lost to Serbia). versus 8 in diving and 5 in table tennis that are always gonna go to China, there is no math here.

5 hours ago, Jur said:

- I wouldn't be mad if they changed Boxing for Kickboxing.

The problem is that amateur kickboxing is even worse than amateur boxing, like we could see at the European Games (?) last time if I'm not mistaken. They had kickboxing in one of those semi-big multisport events but with all kinds of weird variations like pointfighting and even 'light contact'....come on.

It's kind of like if we'd get MMA in the Olympics. Sure, that sounds great for MMA fans, but we'd probably end up with some amateurs and none of the big names...

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

Two medals in Basketball (and even then, the women won by one point, and the men almost lost to Serbia). versus 8 in diving and 5 in table tennis that are always gonna go to China, there is no math here.

But obviously the principle is the same, a decision like that should not simply be because 'country A gets too many medals' if in a sport with 2 medals another country is just as dominant.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

55 minutes ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

This is too obvious mate :p