website statistics

Olympic sports program review

De_Gambassi

On 8/15/2024 at 3:56 PM, heywoodu said:

Wow, I had no idea about this. Just looked it up, watched a super young Michal Martikan in 1996 and damn that course looks amazing!

It's ridiculous - the event is BETTER on wild water, the KX would be utterly heroic and make a lot of sense, and the venue could be any river in the country and some decent temporary stands - it would save millions upon millions

On 8/15/2024 at 8:59 PM, vovanA said:

What do you think about stage road cycling race at the Olympics? Is it too radical? 

I used to think so, but I genuinely wonder why not - the old Criterium International used to be a cracking three day stage race - TT, sprint stage and summit finish. Even if there is no medal for winning a stage, being able to say you have an Olympic stage race win would be epic on the palmares. you would need a larger group of teams of 4 to give the event shape, but that's doable, I think. The Maillot d'Or....has a certain panache, no?

I peruse a lot of English language media and you only see the argument that the Olympics should be the peak event in the sport for Olympic inclusion in the UK

Imagine if the Olympics was full of sports like track cycling and modern pentathlon type sports which have close to zero life outside the Olympics, It would fade away as (especially US )TV would lose interest. 

I'm particularly struck by surfing on the OUT llist.Surfing has only ever given out 12 medals and each 6 continents have won medals.

But Europeans without an ocean frontage don't like it!!

Compare to about 100)?)  events involving snow.Tough for the majority of the world below the Tropic of Cancer.

Then compare ice hockey to (field) hockey

Ice hockey has 2 serious countries outside Europe.

Yes there's more money in ice hockey but(normal) hockey is a lot more international .Indeed in the Netherlands, for instance , it rivals paedophilia in popularity.

On 8/15/2024 at 9:32 AM, heywoodu said:

Wouldn't that basically just be an eight with four men simply moving the oars at a heartrate of 90, and four women rowing their lungs out because they do need to keep up? :p 

Actually, the event exists and made its debut during the last PanAm Games.

Can't find much of comments on how it went.  

51 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Actually, the event exists and made its debut during the last PanAm Games.

Can't find much of comments on how it went.  

This sounds like something @Olympian1010 will be able to pull up a video or something on :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I must say I really dislike the idea of an ever-changing Olympic line-up.  It gives way too much power to the corrupt & incompetent IOC to mess about with the fundamentals of the individual sports. Look how they’ve ruined modern pentathlon, put men in women’s boxing & buggered up all the sailing classes.  Just let the sports govern themselves & let the IOC stick to handing out the medals.

Edited by Grassmarket

9 hours ago, heywoodu said:

This sounds like something @Olympian1010 will be able to pull up a video or something on :d 

Ask, and you shall receive :d

Mixed Eight Final A begins around 1:33:00 into the video.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

12 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

I must say I really dislike the idea of an ever-changing Olympic line-up.  It gives way too much power to the corrupt & incompetent IOC to mess about with the fundamentals of the individual sports. Look how they’ve ruined modern pentathlon, put men in women’s boxing & buggered up all the sailing classes.  Just let the sports govern themselves & let the IOC stick to handing out the medals.

So from a certain moment in time (now? 2000? 1960?) sports should not be added anymore, no matter if the world of sports changes?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

21 hours ago, rajiv said:

I'm particularly struck by surfing on the OUT llist.Surfing has only ever given out 12 medals and each 6 continents have won medals.

But Europeans without an ocean frontage don't like it!!

A lot of Europeans are really mad that there is *ONE* Olympic sport that they are the worst continent in.