website statistics

2024 Olympics - Day 9 (August 4)

4 minutes ago, orangeman said:

We need the women's 3x3 team to win a game tomorrow if Canada wants to extend its medal streak, it's the only real chance I can see. 

I mean if we don’t we’ll finish 4th and we’re done with that now that the swimming relay is over. 😂

33 minutes ago, George_D said:

Swimming 2016 Olympics medals table

image.png

Swimming 2020 Olympics medals table

image.png

Swimming 2024 Olympics medals table

image.png

Canada :CAN is improving in swimming.

Plus FIVE 4ths and THREE 5ths. 

1 hour ago, George_D said:

Swimming 2016 Olympics medals table

image.png

Swimming 2020 Olympics medals table

image.png

Swimming 2024 Olympics medals table

image.png

Canada :CAN is improving in swimming.

Unfortunatley no new talent are rising to the occasion. Hoping we produce a few more good talents.

I know they have a program for the men, and some are on the cusp. Fingers crossed.

Here is some statistical tables i made in excel about Canada's medals from 1988 to 2020 Olympics. I didnt include past 1988 because 1980/1984 cant be representative because of boycotts, 1976 was at home and from 1972 to 1988 is a big period gap and games/sports had changed a lot.

Some notices:

- From 1988 to 2020, most medals have come from Swimming, Rowing and Athletics.

- Canoeing Sprint, Diving, Wrestling and Track Cycling at various times have given some satisfying number of medals also.
- The most succesfull sport for Canada by number of medals in the past was Rowing. And later at a lesser point Canoeing Sprint. Now these were replaced by Athletics and Swimming in the last 2 SOG editions, as you see in the small table (Canada's best sports by number of medals in each Olympics)

- Quite succesfull (although they have a few set of medals) by number of medals per events that Canada won were Artistic Swimming in the past and later Trampoline Gymnastics.

image.png

The first table is sorted by total of medals as you see

So what are the chances of Canada matching last olympics medal haull?  I would love to see that but the predictions suggest differently  Does Canada realistically have chances in men's basketball?  Anything in canoes or rowing?  Athletics there is the well earned gold in thehammer but unfortunately our second guy did not do so well after qualifying second.  There are still a couple of throw events and Ibelieve some mid and longer distance Canada could podium   Beach Volleyball doesn't look great. One win a way from a medal in ladies 3x3 basketball.  Synchro swimming?  We used to be really strong there.  Breaking?  Probably we would need some unexpected medals from like Andre; basketball to match or beat last time.  No doubt they are trying and that is all we can ask even though we llove to see them podium:)

I was looking at some of the analysis about the swimming relay today.  Canada most likely would have won bronze with Penny swimming instead of Summer.  Obviously Summer is the star this games but Penny is better at this distance and her times wwere faster.  It was  a gamble the swim team took and it failed  sadly.  Canada has done their best but Warner strategiically made an error in the decathlon and then there was the soccer mess.   I think we need to focus on the good stuff = Ellie Black to me is a Canadian hero.  Great on the medallists but she is all class.  It just seems she isn't the luckiest but four olympics.  I wanted her to win a medal but she has shown great leadership,, skill and sportsmanship while be an ambassador not only for gymnastics but to the world.