website statistics

Team GB Daily: Day 1

Overall though day one is a success i think, i think we all expected 1 medal so we exceeded that, just a shame it genuinly could have been 3.

Canoeists/rowing....tennis 😅 all survived/made progress, eventing team has a solid lead as well as being in the individual mix

Gymnastics sounds good although i havnt watched it, peaty goes in to tomorrow as a marginal favourite, hockey guys looked set to make a run

23 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

Overall though day one is a success i think, i think we all expected 1 medal so we exceeded that, just a shame it genuinly could have been 3.

Canoeists/rowing....tennis 😅 all survived/made progress, eventing team has a solid lead as well as being in the individual mix

Gymnastics sounds good although i havnt watched it, peaty goes in to tomorrow as a marginal favourite, hockey guys looked set to make a run

My takeaways from today are really not on the results so much (the two medals we got I think was defo on the "exceeds expectations" classification:

- really excited for the eventing team. All 3 essentially in the top 10 and currently two fences clear of Ger. Cross country obviously is high risk, but the 3 combinations we have got are as good as you'd ever wish for. High hopes for the individual and the team.

- Quadruple sculls ladies looked really in control. This was the boat I was focused on today, but all boats performed strongly, which bodes well for the squad.

- Male gymnasts I think have done remarkedly well in qualification. We have two gents in the All round, a really solid shot of a bronze medal in the team, and all of our genuine medal hopes into finals. Jake on floor looked like he FINALLY has put it together!

- Very pleasantly surprised by the men's hockey team winning in style.

- Swimming was a little bit of a mixed bag, disappointing in the mens 4x1 but Keanna PB and Adam through to the final. Good swims for by the GB ladies too in the 4x100. Hopeful Freya Anderson swims the 4x200. I will say the medley relays look far less competitive if the front end of the breaststrokers isn't more spread out. I'm hoping AP has much more to give in the final tomorrow.

- Canoe Slalom - Job Done and Burgess impressed. Kimberly Woods hopes are much more targeted on the Kayak X.

Edited by RussB

‘Great Britain definitely had a chance at a medal here. 

I don't want to be too harsh but I would put it down as a missed opportunity.

If you do contrast it, we had our best games in over 100 years at the last Olympics and now we are clinging on by a thread here with Adam Peaty.

If Adam Peaty can somehow win gold tomorrow, we will have forgotten about this first day...’

Steve Parry about as pessimistic as I am. 

The 4x1 was a missed chance but was never a guarantee. We were probably unlucky with the lane being right on Pan's wash (which in this pool is probably exacerbated more than some others). It happens.

The only event we were favourites for coming into this was the 4x2, and that's still to come. If Adam wins tomorrow, that's arguably a medal upgrade than most were expecting. Still plenty of medal chances to come.

Overall, a good day for GBR with the two medals both being splendid to see and lots of fine performances from the gymnasts, riders, rowers and hockey players.

big day tomorrow; in particular for the rowing squad, eventing, Peaty and the swimmers, the Ladies gymnastics qualify and Chelsea going in the Judo [hopes of the team are basically on her], and the start of the sailing races!