website statistics

Team Ireland Daily Diary at the Paris 2024 Olympic Games

8 minutes ago, Cosmo Kramer said:

Lehane well out of her depth there. That's four boxers knocked out in their first bouts now. Wouldn't have a huge amount of hope for Moorhouse against a French opponent either. We did extremely well to qualify 10, but it's looking like an overachievement to get that many there at this point.

We lost 4 out of 7 in the first round in Lindon yet won tw medals and within a whisker of a third. Two again would be great.

19 minutes ago, Cosmo Kramer said:

Lehane well out of her depth there. That's four boxers knocked out in their first bouts now. Wouldn't have a huge amount of hope for Moorhouse against a French opponent either. We did extremely well to qualify 10, but it's looking like an overachievement to get that many there at this point.

Don't think we should diminish the achievement of qualifying so many boxers given how brutally tough it is to get there. Funnily enough I think 2 of our boxers who were unlucky not to qualify, Cassidy at light heavy and McDonagh at super-heavy would be in with a much better shout of a medal than some who did qualify.

I think we will be lucky to have 2 more first round winners. O’Rourke should and I’d think Moorehouse will win too (just about). Our team is probably spread a bit thin.

Posted (edited)

Definitely not diminished - as I said, it's looking like a massive overachievement at this point. As ever there are some concerns about some of the scoring in Paris but for the most part our defeats have been deserved, we've just been outboxed.

Would hope we can get two more into QFs - hopefully O'Rourke + one more, and then hopefully push through for two medals from there. 

Edited by Cosmo Kramer

Plenty of outside projections had us winning 0-1 medal in boxing. Every GB fighter has lost their opening bout. All 3 Americans who’ve been in are already out 

Dickson and Waddilove hold 2nd after Race 9 in the 49er/Skiff.

3 points ahead of bronze. 11 behind gold. 12 ahead of 4th.

3 races to go plus the medal race. Form slipped a little today. Hopefully can pick it back up tomorrow. Great sailing so far!

The only two real blips so far were:

1. Men's R7, having Fiji on the rack to lose thanks to one misjudgement, uncharacteristic of the player. Otherwise they were good for silver IMHO. (France would have beaten them in the final.)
2. Liam Jegou's piece of ill luck, but his event is something of a lottery.
However, a medal for either was not predicted, and Mona McSharry has more than compensated.
All the big guns are still standing. So far so good.